36 Gallon Bowfront Light - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #31
Titan17
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Here is something that I just thought of...the center brace. The 36 gallon bowfront has a center brace running right through the middle. Will this have a lot of effect on the amount of light that I get? I understand it will have some effect just kind of would like to know how much of an effect everyone would think that it would have.
Titan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #32
azjenny
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan17 View Post
Here is something that I just thought of...the center brace. The 36 gallon bowfront has a center brace running right through the middle. Will this have a lot of effect on the amount of light that I get? I understand it will have some effect just kind of would like to know how much of an effect everyone would think that it would have.
It does create a shadow down the middle. I saw on another forum, someone with this tank had cut out the black plastic brace and replaced it with plexiglass. I was thinking about it, but I won't do it unless I do it before I fill the tank because I'm too nervous about the weight of the water in the tank without the brace, even for a few minutes. However, I do remember them saying that they did the work while the tank was full, so it can be done. Sorry I can't remember where I saw it.
I don't know anything about actual effect on the growing of the plants though, this was just aesthetic....
azjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #33
djscotty
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you look at my picture, I was thinking the same thing but you cannot tell that the brace is even there. The light spectrum still looks even.
djscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #34
squidsquiggle
Algae Grower

I use one of these, inside a diy gutter fixture. I was lucky enough to have a local store that sold them, so it was much cheaper than the other options I could find. I do have to use co2, and I still get a bit of algae on the slower-growing leaves, but so far it's worked great for me. There's a link to the tank in my signature.

36 Gallon Bowfront
: Guppy / anubas hastifolia and nana, wisteria, melon sword, ruffle plant, brazilian pennywort, argentinian sword
, windelov java fern, mystery moss, singapore moss
20 Gallon Tall: 12 Pearl Danios, Longfin L144 pleco / windelov java fern, subwassertang
squidsquiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #35
biglos201
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You will be lucky if you don't reach medium light! With that much light it is very hard to avoid algae problems, you need CO2 for sure, and the plants you can grow isn't much different if at all different from when you use low medium light. Around 40 micromols of PAR is a great lighting level to use - you get most of the advantages of higher light, and most of the advantages of low light, except that using CO2 is a very good idea with that much light.
I've awoken this post from the dead! I too have a 36 Gallon with the stock lighting 8000k bulb and just ordered a 17W Florasun 5000k bulb to switch out the stock one. Do you think this will even work for my Roseafolia , Anacharis Narrow leave and and other Anarcharis?
biglos201 is online now   Reply With Quote