Glass top+raised light?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Glass top+raised light?

I don't have this issue, but I was wondering if someone had a glass top, but they needed to raised their light. Wouldn't this block out a lot of light because there is not enough heat coming from the light to clear the evaporation off the underside of the glass? Because when the light is directly on top the heat clears the class directly underneath.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this.

Thanks!
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have a suspended light and glass top. there is very little issues with condensation. Sometimes it shows up, most of the time it does not. I put a par meter under my top with and without the glass lid and had almost no change in par values either.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I wouldn't think there would be a significant difference, but I hadn't thought about the effects of condensation.

Kinda interesting.

even so, I think it would just act somewhat like a diffuser, and scatter the beams, as opposed to absorbing/blocking/reflecting them. not certain though.

If it is just refracting/scattering, I don't think it would have a big effect unless you are using a focused light spread on a fairly deep tank. Optics really aren't my thing though.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Miira
Algae Grower

When I had a glass top, the light was an inch above it and there was always condensation. I eventually stopped using the lid because it's easier to top off the tank 2x/week than it is to clean the glass.
Miira is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

If i remember, the glass tops pretty much halve the PAR value by the time it gets to the substrate.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
raulfd4
Algae Grower

I asked this specific question on Hoppy's thread about lighting with PAR vs Watts, and he said that as long as there is no mineral buildup on the glass, there shouldn't be much of an affect on PAR because of the glass and condensation.
raulfd4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulfd4 View Post
I asked this specific question on Hoppy's thread about lighting with PAR vs Watts, and he said that as long as there is no mineral buildup on the glass, there shouldn't be much of an affect on PAR because of the glass and condensation.
i must've read that somewhere else then...

the issue i see though, is that there is almost always a mineral buildup unless you've just cleaned it
Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
PlantedTankLover
Planted Tank Obsessed

No to take over, but whats the point of raising the light above the class. I just have mine sitting on it.

PlantedTankLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
raulfd4
Algae Grower

Yeah, it definitely becomes a maintenance issue in terms of cleaning the glass to keep it free of mineral buildup.

I actually have to keep my lights raised above the glass because my lighting fixture does not have a built-in fan. The design calls for the fixture to be elevated so that it does not overheat.
raulfd4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Tanking 5dGH, 2dKH water dust on the dry side is more troublesome than anything on the tank side of the lids. Running the air conditioner 95% of the time living in Florida my tanks are almost all covered.

I raise lights to reduce the value balancing new tanks rather than changing fixtures.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

Thanks for the awesome responses everyone! Sorry that I couldn't respond until now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I have a suspended light and glass top. there is very little issues with condensation. Sometimes it shows up, most of the time it does not. I put a par meter under my top with and without the glass lid and had almost no change in par values either.
That is what I wanted to hear, it makes sense that the condensation shouldn't have much of an effect now that I think of it. It's just water like the rest of the tank.

Thanks, that was a good
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
If i remember, the glass tops pretty much halve the PAR value by the time it gets to the substrate.
Like others have said, only if there was a lot of mineral buildup that might happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulfd4 View Post
Great!! Hoppy knows his stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedTankLover View Post
No to take over, but whats the point of raising the light above the class. I just have mine sitting on it.
Since most people's algae issues are because of light, it makes sense to try to raise the fixture instead of buying a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Tanking 5dGH, 2dKH water dust on the dry side is more troublesome than anything on the tank side of the lids. Running the air conditioner 95% of the time living in Florida my tanks are almost all covered.

I raise lights to reduce the value balancing new tanks rather than changing fixtures.
Thanks for the input, it's all about balance and sometimes that requires raising the light, especially for low tech. Thanks, hopefully this thread will help some other people.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.