Unique Aquaria (Skiptons Boston) Closed!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Unique Aquaria (Skiptons Boston) Closed!!!

So Ive been here a couple times last summer, pretty good store. Im setting up a tank now and wanted some good ideas. So me and my girl wake up on saturday morning travel into bean town to find they are closed and the store is for rent. Thats sucks, now I need to travel to Tropic Isle or all the way to Uncle Neds (which ive been plannng for months). But I do remember last time I was in this store, there was no one that looked over the age of 20 there, with little knowledge, the one kid was pretty good but looked at me like I was an a-hole when I told him it was dumb of them to mix red cherry and yellow shrimps together.

Last edited by Drewsplantednutz; 01-27-2013 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: edit
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
jackyuen89
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

They did not close. They simply just moved.
http://www.uniqueaquaria.com/
jackyuen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
redpaulhus
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

jackyuen89 is correct - we moved Unique Aquaria to Woburn back in Sept.
(actually, we closed Boston at the end of July, moved everything to Woburn over the next 2 months, and then opened in Sept 2012).
we were handing flyers out to all customers for a few months before the move, plus we had signs on the old building for the first few months we were in Woburn.
Unfortunately the landlord or somebody else took the signs down around Thanksgiving
I'm not sure who you talked to when we were in Boston, or why the yellows were still in with the cherry (sometimes they were placed in the wrong tank when the orders arrived but the usually were moved the next day), but If you'd like to come in and talk with me on a weekend at the new store, I think you'll find my 20's were a long time ago
I'm the freshwater mgr now, and I'm trying to make the freshwater dept, well, Unique.
We're focusing on harder to find species - fish you can't find in the big box stores - microrasboras, badis, killies, etc - most of which do best in planted tanks.
Our plant stocking level isn't yet where I want it to be, eventually I want to have a wider variety of plants than we have now, but we've got a decent variety of plants, most of which have been locally cultivated (we take trade ins ! ). Lots of val (corkscrew, contortion, and zebra), crypts, etc in stock right now. Plus what I think is Japanese bacopa (at least, that's what it was brought to us as).
And I promise that our tiger, "sunkist" and cherry shrimp are in three different tanks !

Thanks
Rich Paulhus
"redpaulhus"
Unique Aquaria
redpaulhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
redpaulhus
Planted Member

oh - and I almost forgot - a trip out to Uncle Ned's is always fun
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice, yeah im the idiot that has the address and number in hand but still drives somewhere without calling to see if theyre open. Ill be in the store next weeekend to check it out, as my tank is cycling now. So while I have you here, im looking for CPDs or Galaxy Rasboras and Apisto cichlids for my new setup, do you guys keep any in stock?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
mickmac247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Drew give the a visit and see the great set up they are putting together. Rich knows his stuff for sure and takes the time you need to do it right.I know Rich is there on Sat but not sure if on Sundays. Great guys no matter who you talk to...
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
redpaulhus
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsplantednutz View Post
Nice, yeah im the idiot that has the address and number in hand but still drives somewhere without calling to see if theyre open. Ill be in the store next weeekend to check it out, as my tank is cycling now. So while I have you here, im looking for CPDs or Galaxy Rasboras and Apisto cichlids for my new setup, do you guys keep any in stock?
mickmac247 is correct, I'm there pretty much every Saturday and some Sundays (was there yesterday but will not be at the store next Sunday)

I'm actually putting a small order together right now

I have one lone female (or really depressed male) apisto in stock. (not sure the species, found her in a tank full of tetras on Saturday, she came with us from Boston last summer.) I moved her to a smaller tank where I'm hoping to get a better look, she was in a tank that was too close to the floor for easy viewing.

I should have new CPD's in this week, but I won't know how good they are until Saturday (sometimes they arrive fat-n-sassy and sometimes they are a bit small and need to be fattened up before they show good color )

I see Apisto agassizii, A. cacatuoides, and A. "neon blue" on the available sheet this week, but I wasn't planning on getting any at them moment. I can usually also get A. boreli but none are available this week. They (borelli) are one of my faves and once they become available I was going to sneak a few pair into our plant "table" tanks.

ah, what the heck, I'll order a few cockatoos - I haven't had them in stock in ages.

I've also got some nice kribs in stock - both standard and the "red" strain.
My eventual plan is to have at least one type of apisto, one type of ram (locally bred not mass produced) and one "other" dwarf in stock as part of our regular offerings. (the local rams should be here in mid-to-late Feb).

I don't know if you ever visit the BAS website, but we are now posting our sales, specials, and new arrivals there.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
mickmac247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Rich all this talk about Apistos might make me set up another tank.lol Maybe I can talk Stan into it also. Guys check the out in Woburn they know their stuff. Mickey
Old 01-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
redpaulhus
Planted Member

bleh - neither the apistos nor the CPD's came in on this weeks order
sorry
Rich
Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
Paragon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've been to the Woburn location. It's a little...sad at the moment in the freshwater department. Most of the freshwater tanks are empty except for the cichlid tank, which is all labs and socofoli, and a handful of scattered tetras and albino bristlenose plecos. I was able to pick up a pair of cribs, but beyond that, I didn't find much to buy.

The saltwater and reptile areas look great, though.
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was there last weekend and it was coming along pretty good. You have to think it must be a big transfer to go from a store they been at 20+ years to a new spot. But I think its pretty cool its in an industrial building, and def the place if you want kribs.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Yeah the freshwater dept is only a fraction of the size the first location had. Maybe rich can steal some space from the reptile or saltwater dept
Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
peter_l
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsplantednutz View Post
I was there last weekend and it was coming along pretty good. You have to think it must be a big transfer to go from a store they been at 20+ years to a new spot. But I think its pretty cool its in an industrial building, and def the place if you want kribs.
Argh! Kribs!

I bought a pair from UA a couple of months ago. They spawned within two days in my tank then proceeded to *terrorize* the tank.

Good riddance!
peter_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
redpaulhus
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
I've been to the Woburn location. It's a little...sad at the moment in the freshwater department. Most of the freshwater tanks are empty except for the cichlid tank, which is all labs and socofoli, and a handful of scattered tetras and albino bristlenose plecos. I was able to pick up a pair of cribs, but beyond that, I didn't find much to buy.

The saltwater and reptile areas look great, though.
Sorry - I've been shuffling fish around to make space for some orders.
I have the following items coming in on a flight today:

"plant friendly" fish:
Multi Stripe Loach Yunnanilus cruciatus
Cardinal tetra (wild)
rummy nose tetra
Neon Tetra
red microrasbora - Boraras brigittae
Emerald Dwarf Rasbora - Danio erythromicron
Clown Killi Pseudepiplatys annulatus
Hara minuscula "Burmese Mini Moth Cat"
Corydoras paleatus
Ancistris sp "green dragon"
neon green Danionella priapus

not so plant friendly:
aulonocara sp "eureka"
Aulonocara sp "mamalela" (Lemon Jake)
Gymnogeophagus sp. "El Norte"

I should have pygmy cory cats coming in later this week.

I've also gotten some other goodies in over the past few weeks, including some Apisto caucatoides, Fundulopanchax gardneri, CPD's, Danio roseus, Debauwi Cats (Pareutropius buffei), black ruby barbs Pethia nigrofasciata (sadly, not colored up yet), and some really nice Placidochromis phenochilus "tanzania" (locally bred).

Plants - I know our plant offerings are somewhat sad right now, I need to get a big plant order in. However - we have val coming out our ears right now, and I need to move some of it to make room for more plants. so if you like val, come see me on a saturday, mention plantedtank.net, and I'll make you a sweet deal
Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
glutandpoop
Algae Grower

Default Bacopa Japan at UA

Hey Rich - I think you sold me some of the 'Japanese Bacopa' referenced in your post a few weeks ago - it is growing like crazy in my 6gal 52W super-high-light tank with daily Excel Carbon dosing...
However, I think it is actually Hygrophila polysperma - if you do a yahoo image search, the Hygro has the curved stems and slightly wavy leaves that mine is showing...
Not complaining - just FYI out of curiosity - very happy overall with my experience at Unique and the plants and fish you had recommended for me there...

-Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpaulhus View Post
jackyuen89 is correct - we moved Unique Aquaria to Woburn back in Sept.
(actually, we closed Boston at the end of July, moved everything to Woburn over the next 2 months, and then opened in Sept 2012).
we were handing flyers out to all customers for a few months before the move, plus we had signs on the old building for the first few months we were in Woburn.
Unfortunately the landlord or somebody else took the signs down around Thanksgiving
I'm not sure who you talked to when we were in Boston, or why the yellows were still in with the cherry (sometimes they were placed in the wrong tank when the orders arrived but the usually were moved the next day), but If you'd like to come in and talk with me on a weekend at the new store, I think you'll find my 20's were a long time ago
I'm the freshwater mgr now, and I'm trying to make the freshwater dept, well, Unique.
We're focusing on harder to find species - fish you can't find in the big box stores - microrasboras, badis, killies, etc - most of which do best in planted tanks.
Our plant stocking level isn't yet where I want it to be, eventually I want to have a wider variety of plants than we have now, but we've got a decent variety of plants, most of which have been locally cultivated (we take trade ins ! ). Lots of val (corkscrew, contortion, and zebra), crypts, etc in stock right now. Plus what I think is Japanese bacopa (at least, that's what it was brought to us as).
And I promise that our tiger, "sunkist" and cherry shrimp are in three different tanks !

Thanks
Rich Paulhus
"redpaulhus"
Unique Aquaria
glutandpoop is offline   Reply With Quote