My Rainforest Creek - Fluval 12g - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #31
Mayfly1963

PTrader: (0/0%)

You've done a fantastic job with your tank! I think you have an excellent eye for "balance" in the way you've arranged the driftwood, and the distribution of plants in the tank looks really good. Gorgeous!
Mayfly1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #32
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful. I think my son "needs" a tank in his room, seeing the wife won't let me.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #33
Pukki
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfly1963 View Post
You've done a fantastic job with your tank! I think you have an excellent eye for "balance" in the way you've arranged the driftwood, and the distribution of plants in the tank looks really good. Gorgeous!
Thank you! I was given the tank months ago for my birthday but it took so long for me to find the perfect piece of driftwood. I already had it in my mind as to how it should look. When I finally found it I was so darn excited and relieved!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #34
Pukki
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Beautiful. I think my son "needs" a tank in his room, seeing the wife won't let me.
Haha. Of course he "needs" one. Just say to the missus it'll give him a sense of responsibility and an education in how biological ecosystems work!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #35
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I'm a bit confused. Do you have all those shrimp in this tank? If so, the cardinal shrimp isn't going to make it long. They need hard, alkaline water. Quite the opposite of what ADA soil will make. Read up on sulawesi shrimp, specifically cardinals!
Hobbes1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #36
Pukki
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes1911 View Post
I'm a bit confused. Do you have all those shrimp in this tank? If so, the cardinal shrimp isn't going to make it long. They need hard, alkaline water. Quite the opposite of what ADA soil will make. Read up on sulawesi shrimp, specifically cardinals!

Really?? Oh no... I don't want to lose the little guy. He's one of my favourite things in there!

Yes, I currently have 3 shrimps in my tank. Red cherry, blue tiger and the cardinal.

So far the cardinal dude seems to be happy. If he has survived this far do you think he'll just make it and adapt to my water or eventually it'll just kill him one day?

I'd appreciate any advice or tips that you could share in regards to what I can do so he'll live a very happy and long life in my tank

Thank you for bringing it up. I shall do my research.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #37
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

there is a great variety of information out there. Here is a basic overview: http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...light=sulawesi, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...light=sulawesi, and just search for the cardinal shrimp. Also you can speak with several of the long term shrimp gurus on this forum. I'd try mordalphus, speedie408 and others. Good luck.
Hobbes1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #38
awcoburn2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Awesome looking tank. I think cardinal shrimp are just so striking.

Do your celestial pearl danios (or galaxy rasboras) hide a lot? Mine tend to be a bit show, but I'm hoping they show off more as my plants grow in.
awcoburn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 AM   #39
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

WOW!!!!

You have done a FREAKIN' AWESOME JOB on your aquarium!!!!

The journal is only 9 days old, but how long has the tank been actually setup? Your shrimp look very happy, but I would listen to the shrimp people here, as I have never kept any fancy shrimp, yet!

I am looking forward to watching this tank mature!!!
Subscribed

Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #40
Pukki
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by awcoburn2 View Post
Awesome looking tank. I think cardinal shrimp are just so striking.

Do your celestial pearl danios (or galaxy rasboras) hide a lot? Mine tend to be a bit show, but I'm hoping they show off more as my plants grow in.
Yes they are beautiful little things. Although I recently found out from a fellow member that my water conditions may not be ideal to keep them. The little guy has been doing great so far. I'm just dreading to wake up one day with him on his back and all his little legs are up in the air.

When I did purchase him from the LFS the girl did put the two shrimps separate bags as their water parameters were very different. She did make it sound like if he initially makes it then there is no reason he won't survive in the long run. And there I thought I could finally put my feet up. Guess the work isn't over just yet.

Regarding the galaxies, yes, they do hide. A lot! So much so when someone comes around they think there's no fish in the tank until they poke their little heads out and they say "Oooh look! Fishies!" They only tend to come out during feeding time. They dart out, eat, then hide again!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #41
Pukki
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
WOW!!!!

You have done a FREAKIN' AWESOME JOB on your aquarium!!!!

The journal is only 9 days old, but how long has the tank been actually setup? Your shrimp look very happy, but I would listen to the shrimp people here, as I have never kept any fancy shrimp, yet!

I am looking forward to watching this tank mature!!!
Subscribed

Drew
Thank you Drew! I've had a look through your 7 page journal. Love how it's come along. Reminds me of a lake I went to years ago.

Yes, the journal is only 9 days old, however I set it up about 7 weeks ago, just before Christmas. Did the whole fish-less cycle thing. I did have some different plants in there, but I didn't understand their needs very well and some of them didn't do too great. I sort of know the basics in terms of which plants need less light hence the low light plants in shady areas now.

It's still a work in progress in terms of planting as I still have no clue. I'm even contemplating co2 but it's too scary for me now. I should have a minor update roughly about this weekend, so stay tuned!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #42
Pukki
Algae Grower

Sorry for keeping quiet regarding my journal. Just thought I'd let you know how things are going at the moment.

Sulawesi Shrimp: He is doing great and I'm actually surprised that he is still alive. I asked the guy at the LFS today if he had anymore left as I was about to pay for a Sakura Goldenback shrimp, and he replied "Yes, have only two left, but you cannot keep them with these guys, they need a PH of around 8 and the shrimp you have need about 6.5-7". I said to him that I already have a Sulawesi Cardinal and he was pretty surprised that it's still alive too. Keep your fingers crossed guys. He is adorable and I hope he lives a happy and long life!

Golden Snail: I took the Apple snail back today. One the of the reasons I am not uploading any photos is because the tank is looking a bit disastrous at the moment. The snail managed to eat most of the plants. I fed him but he seems to love eating the fresh new shoots that my plants were giving out. I replaced him for a smaller Golden Apple. The guy at the LFS was a bit baffled as to this one eating plants as they usually don't. He simply said that sometimes you get some that are "b@stards!". I hope this new little dude turns out to be different and stays away from the plants.

I'm going to get a few new plants to replace the old chewed up nasty looking ones so after things settle in I will definitely have some new photos up!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #43
Pukki
Algae Grower

Default Celestial Pearl Danio Fry!!

Hey guys, just a quick update... Just some pics of how the tank is coming along.

The pics were taken just before the snails ate all the plants, so they are from last week. I'll have something next weekend to show how they are looking now.

I am due for a water change, but I have just realised I have some CPD fry! Last night, one of the females looked very plump and she was hovering around the moss and I had a feeling she might be wanting to lay eggs. I didn't think anything of it, but this morning I have all these little baby Galaxy Pearls!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherry in the bush.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	83770  

Name:	Galaxy MCU.jpg
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	83778  

Name:	Galaxy CU.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	83786  

Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #44
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Very cool looking tank
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #45
Pukki
Algae Grower

Default Pic of little fish baby!

So here's a terrible photo of the little CPD guy.

The tank is due for a clean and a water change but I'm worried now that I have these little fry if they will be vulnerable to water parameter changes.

On one hand I want the little guys to live and on the other I don't want a slight increase in ammonia which'll affect my shrimps and in particular my little Sulawesi Cardinal shrimp who I am told are quite sensitive to begin with.

Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated!!

Thanks for popping by
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Galaxy Fry.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	83802  

Tags
12g, fluval edge 12g, nano