General Co2 and Fert dosing questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
sdylanh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

General Co2 and Fert dosing questions

I've got a few co2 and general fert related question that I'm hoping I can pose in one thread and get some general direction from you experts out there. Essentially, after 18 months or so of tinkering, I recently changed to a low light setup and got rid of my dirt substrate because I just hated the mess. In my new setup, I mostly have crypts (petchii, wendtii, lutea, and balansae), java fern, red tiger lotus, anubias nana, and some experimental DHG that I started dry while building my stand. Ultimately, my goal is for the light to be the limiting factor and in a perfect world slow growth wouldn't concern me but I do hope to provide healthy growth. With that in mind, some of my questions are as follows:

-Do all plants generally require the same nutrients, or can I tailor to my specific plant needs? For instance, I've started to get hooked on crypt species, and we be ok with tailoring to their specific needs if those needs do in fact exist. If it can be tailored, does anyone have any good resources for learning more?

-Concerning co2, the general consensus I've observed seems to be that some is better than none regardless of light levels. Is there a general consensus as to liquid carbon products compared to full blown co2 injection? More specifically, does one method provide something that the other does not?

I guess in the end, I'm open to and interested in learning more about providing for my plants, but I don't want to just throw a bunch of stuff in my water for the sake of it.
sdylanh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
sdylanh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

A recent picture of my tank:

sdylanh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdylanh View Post
-Do all plants generally require the same nutrients, or can I tailor to my specific plant needs? For instance, I've started to get hooked on crypt species, and we be ok with tailoring to their specific needs if those needs do in fact exist. If it can be tailored, does anyone have any good resources for learning more?
Plants in general, require the same nutrients. However, there are some plants that may derive their nutrients more readily from the substrate (such as your Cryptocoryne spp.) rather than from the water column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdylanh View Post
-Concerning co2, the general consensus I've observed seems to be that some is better than none regardless of light levels. Is there a general consensus as to liquid carbon products compared to full blown co2 injection? More specifically, does one method provide something that the other does not?
Liquid carbon products are effective at lower light levels, but is never as good as CO2 (regardless of lighting levels).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.