how do you purchase your shrimp - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #16
Dany08fa
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

ive had good experience with acclimating both juvis and adults. so i prefer adults because i've thrown in 5-7 adult females and they all berry up within a week or two. i hate waiting 2-3 months for them to reach breeding age. some shrimp i swear i've had for over 3 months now and they still have yet to berry.
Dany08fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

So you'd rather have an adult shrimp that will get berried soon but die soon as well, instead of a shrimp that will eventually get berried more times and live much longer? I guess I don't get it, is it just because you're impatient?

Like I said, if someone wants to buy adults from me, I'm more than happy, otherwise they'd die in my aquarium and I'd make no money from it. Would be another story if they lived longer than 12-16 months
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #18
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (383/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Adults will be fine, just as long as they aren't senior citizen shrimp lol. I've kept adult stock straight from my overseas breeders for over 6months and they've been doing nothing but breed back to back for me.

There's other variables at play when dealing with shrimp deaths that we have to consider. It's not just one thing. ie Maybe these shrimp are genetically weaker as well. Most shrimp have been inbred for so long, they are super weak and will die even if you look at it the wrong way. Sometimes, you won't know until you've experienced it yourself.

The best thing for any shrimp keeper to do is to dial in your water params as best as possible to the source water for highest survivability rate.
Quote:
My experience:

Adult shrimp will do just fine if you match your source water as best as possible. Plus side to getting adults is that they will breed right away for you and you can pick and choose sex.

Juvis to sub adult shrimp do best when adjusting to tanks with slightly different water params. However, these shrimp are near impossible to sex.

The key in any case is to do proper drip acclimation for all new shrimp. This lessens the potential shock that ultimately leads to death.
What do you suggest is the ideal time for a drip acclimation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
I think I'm the only person who has had better luck with adults and subadults adapting than juvies. With OEBTs I had subadults, fully mature adults and juvies shipped in and lost many juvies in the first couple of days while the adults and subadults did fine. Then I got a batch of CRS and CBS in and lost, gosh, 4 or 5 and all that died were small juvies (this was over many weeks, not right off the bat, I tend to do 4-5 hour drip acclimations on my shrimp). The older ones have done much better for me. My experience isn't as vast as some of the other posters but wanted to add in what I HAVE experienced
I actually did better with sub-adults only. Too young or too mature and they are the first ones to go By the way, isn't 4-5 hours to drip acclimate really long? I was told the longer you keep them confined the more stress they'll be.

Below I copied and paste from PlantedInverts, what do you think of this method?

Acclimating with tank water:
(1) Take a cup to scoop your tank water into. Look at the amount of water in the bowl and estimate how much water volume you think 10% is. Take the cup with the new tank water and pour the equivalent 10% into the bowl that you estimated. Basically you are increasing the water by 10% inside of the bowl with new tank water, slowly acclimating the shrimp.
(2) Pour the same amount you poured the first time (original 10% estimate) into the bowl every 2 minutes until you have tripled the water that was originally in the bowl (total of 40-45 minutes).
(3) Afterwards your bowl water is 1/3 old and 2/3 new tank water.
Your shrimp are good to go at this point as they have adjusted to the temperate and water conditions of your new tank having followed these steps carefully.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

when i got my oebt i dripped them for like 8 hours lol. but i also use a 1 gallong pitcher when i drip. alot of it depends on what the water is like where i am getting them from how long i drip them
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

When I ship CRS, I like to include various sizes unless customer specifically asked for all small ones. Someone asking for mostly adult females are just greedy..LOL

The bigger ones that I shipped out usually berried within 6-8 weeks.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
MsNemoShrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
when i got my oebt i dripped them for like 8 hours lol. but i also use a 1 gallong pitcher when i drip. alot of it depends on what the water is like where i am getting them from how long i drip them
8 hours? Wow...and I thought 4-5 was long enough. Lol. Is there a proven method to which works best, duration-wise?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001

PTrader: (387/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
What do you suggest is the ideal time for a drip acclimation?
Miss My,

My method (obviously everyone has their own opinion on this so do take it with a grain of salt) - put them into a 1qt container and fill it up half way with the shipping water. If you have a smaller amount of water that was shipped with the shrimp (usually the case with small orders), use all of it and use a 1 pt container instead. Now use your dripper of choice and drip for 30 - 45 min. You can drip longer if you prefer, but I deal with so many shrimp that I don't have time to drip them for 8hrs . That's pretty much it.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
8 hours? Wow...and I thought 4-5 was long enough. Lol. Is there a proven method to which works best, duration-wise?

It depends on parameters they are in vs where they are going. The bigger the difference, the longer the drip I do. Sometimes I get away with 1-2 hours, other times it takes 4-5. just depends. If you run an airstone in the container it helps keep stress down and they do seem to settle right down once I've added the airstone.

Some folks do shorter, some do longer. I've had better luck personally with longer drips but everyone's experiences will differ...just like how I do better with sub adults and adults than juvies
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #24
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

no but after loosing oebt i was over cautious and i figure if i drip that much water it would be better for the shrimp any way. and since i dont work i have plenty of time lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #25
MsNemoShrimp

Quote:
Miss My,

My method (obviously everyone has their own opinion on this so do take it with a grain of salt) - put them into a 1qt container and fill it up half way with the shipping water. If you have a smaller amount of water that was shipped with the shrimp (usually the case with small orders), use all of it and use a 1 pt container instead. Now use your dripper of choice and drip for 30 - 45 min. You can drip longer if you prefer, but I deal with so many shrimp that I don't have time to drip them for 8hrs . That's pretty much it.
Thanks for sharing Nick! This is usually how long I take too. Since you successfully keep some of the nicest looking shrimps around, whatever you do, I pay close attention to. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
It depends on parameters they are in vs where they are going. The bigger the difference, the longer the drip I do. Sometimes I get away with 1-2 hours, other times it takes 4-5. just depends. If you run an airstone in the container it helps keep stress down and they do seem to settle right down once I've added the airstone.

Some folks do shorter, some do longer. I've had better luck personally with longer drips but everyone's experiences will differ...just like how I do better with sub adults and adults than juvies
Thanks. Definitely a good point to make Jaime. Testing for the difference is certainly a smart motion. Not much of a difference = less time and too much difference = more time needed to narrow the gap