Trouble growing bulbs from wal-mart
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
~Ace~
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Trouble growing bulbs from wal-mart

I'm having trouble with bulbs i got from walmart growing. I'm looking for help.

Specifically the ( NYMPHAEA LILLY BULBS & HYBRID APONOGETON BULBS ).
The 2 (nymphaea) are growing this white fuzzy stuff around them. they are about half golf ball sized and are floating at the top. They have been in tank for about a week, no roots visible.
The 5 (aponogeton) are smaller and they sank. they dont have white fuzz on them, but aren't growing roots either. added same time as other bulbs. one is floating at top.

What is the white fuzz?
what should i do if it is all fuzzy?
how can i get them to start to GROW ROOTS? - important
i have them in a side container, do they need to be planted?
do they need dirt?
does the light source matter? ( 2ft 18w flourescent light ) 55 gal. tall tank, upgrading to 48'' led next week.......

ANY MORE INFO that may be important would be nice and THANKS EVERYONE
~Ace~ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
jemminnifener
Planted Member

I've tried growing 2 of those bulb packs. I have never been able to get the lily bulbs to grow. I have been able to get the onion bulbs & the aponogeton bulbs to grow. I don't have much luck keeping them alive for more than a couple months.

White fuzz = mold, not a viable bulb, throw it away! It will not get better. It will only grow more white fuzz and start smelling horrible.

Some bulbs just take longer to root & sprout. If no white stuff, just keep it around and wait... patiently.

I would put the bulbs in the tank... I've tried growing them in a separate container but I think the lack of air agitation and a regular light cycle was a deal breaker for them.

You do not need to bury them. Some float for a while until they eventually sink. If you bury them, make sure you know what side is up (I think there's a side that's up) and sink the bulb into the substrate partway leaving part of it uncovered.

Light source probably matters. I've gotten mine to sprout (minus the lily bulbs) with the stock lighting from a Fluval Spec V. No luck keeping them alive after they use up all their bulb energy though.
jemminnifener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
RD3557
Algae Grower

The best thing you can hope for with these bulbs is that they don't grow and eventually rot.....................trust me. I bought a pack of the hybrid lily bulbs last November and both of them rotted. I typed up a sincere and knowledgable letter to the company (which I believe is Sealife Inc.) explaining that my bulb(s) failed to grow. I included the original packaging w/ a receipt. Within 2 weeks, I received a large envelope from the company that included at least 20 different bulbs! The success rate of these new bulbs has been 100%. Some of the bulbs were already putting out roots when they arrived. The result has been a tank full of gorgeous Aponogetons ( crispus, ulvaceus, undulatus, etc) and three beautiful Red Tiger Lotus Lillies. Granted, I supplement my tank with decent lighting, root tabs, liquid ferts, and co2. Regardless, this company has excellent customer service and goes above and beyond when they send you new bulbs. As for a dormancy period w/ the Aponogetons, I'm hoping mine continue to thrive with the use of root tabs (some users report that they go dormant, others don't have any issues). I'm actually surprised more people don't buy these bulbs. My $3.49 that I spent 3 months ago has turned in to well over $40 in gorgeous, healthy, and vibrant plants. Best of luck!
RD3557 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

white fuzz is a bad bulb. I've never tried growing them in a container, in the tank yes. Out of every 4 bulbs I usually end up with one bad
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

When they grow white fuzz, they are no good, at lest in my exp. Toss em out. Some companies who sell them have a *IF THEY DON'T GROW IN *Insert how ever many days* SEND THEM TO US WITH RECEIPT AND WE WILL REPLACE THEM* message scrawled on the package somewhere.
Kitsune_Gem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
~Ace~
Algae Grower

Cool nymphaea lily bulb from walmart & APONOGETON BULB FROM WALMART - update

I have been periodically taking them out an washing the white fuzz off.
They smell a little funky, but when ever we saw lily bulbs in the lake here in mn they would often have clearish fuzz on them. maybe its softening the bulb to grow roots??? i added anti fungal stuff to the container after and it continued to grow fuzz.

I noticed little tiny roots starting(about 1mm each), i can barley see them now, ill give them some time....

if i can get them to grow, maybe solving the WHITE FUZZ mystery.

the aponogeton bulbs dont have any white fuzz, and only 1 in 5 show tiny sings of new growth and it happens to be the 1 that is floating out of the 5, the other 4 sank and look the same as when i put them in. the growth on the one kind of looks a like tiny little white brain.

these bulbs might be good or bad, not sure. i'll keep posting the progress.

i would send them in, but i dont have the reciept and they might be starting to show signs of roots after about a week and half, so i'll give them some more time. i'll keep posting the progress as well.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES AND ALL THE ~
~Ace~ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Ace- wondering what happened to your bulbs? Update?
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aponogeton, fuzz, nymphaea, roots, walmart bulbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.