Miracle gro fertilizer? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your pH is not good for Urea. It is good for those heavy metals as they will stay in the water and not your creatures. Higher pH with heavy metals like Copper, Zinc, Lead is safer than acid pH which will ionize part of them and make them soluble in water. Plants will uptake those up until some point but they will be affected also. Long before your shrimp have died of Copper poisoning.

I did put Urea in my planted tank. But it is something like 0,5g in a HEAVILY planted 300L tank. No side effects.

I bought mine from the pharmacy as a white salt. Looks like Magnesium Sulfate (aka Epsom salt).
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
As people have already mentioned, I would highly recommend you not using any (terrestrial) fertilizer that uses ammonical nitrogen (urea) as its nitrogen source, since it will become ammonia in your aquarium (at a pH of 8.6, there will essentially be no ammonium anion formation).

There have been people that have successfully dosed with urea, but I do not think they ever dosed when there was livestock in the aquarium.

i dose urea and NH4 with german blue rams in the tank, they also bread many times in the same tank. plant also grew better with urea and nitrate combination.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=179668
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
Probably no

Most contain urea (listed on back as ammonical nitrogen sometimes), which breaks down into ammonia.

And a good portion contain heavy metals, which are toxic as well. Check the contents of the one you want to buy here

http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilize...ct1.aspx?ltr=M
Hi All,

UDGags is absolutely correct regarding the heavy metals.

I use Miracle Grow Water Soluble General Purpose for my emersed growth plants but I will not use the product in my aquariums because it contains: Arsenic, Cadmium, Cobalt, Mercury, Molybdenum, Nickel, Lead, and Cobalt (Co). I value my fish (or invertebrates) too much to do that.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Well I guess I can't just be lazy and use what I have on hand. I'll have to go out and buy a bottle of excel I suppose
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

As far as my knowledge goes, excel is organic carbon. Not a fertilizer mix as it adds one Macro nutrient: Carbon
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #21
kochman
Algae Grower

I have used in past with no ill effects to livestock. i only stopped using it as i am now using a combination of organic hydroponic ferts and iron. I bought a jug and i dilute like crazy and all is fine.
kochman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
i dose urea and NH4 with german blue rams in the tank, they also bread many times in the same tank. plant also grew better with urea and nitrate combination.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=179668
Glad that it worked out for you.

As I mentioned, some people have used urea successfully with no problems. It is a balancing game in the end.

Plants do uptake ammonia faster than nitrates, as that is their preferred nitrogen source. Theoretically, you could dose ammonia directly for even faster plant growth.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.