Cloudy water after each water change
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
PhilZ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cloudy water after each water change

After each weekly water change of 20% the water gets cloudy for about 4 days. Tested the water params and everything is normal. Am I somehow killing the beneficial bacteria that is keeping the water clear? Ammonia is 0. The shrimp and fish are doing fine and never have seen any deaths. Maybe too much chloramines in the water killing the good bacteria. Should I add more water conditioner? Should I maybe try 10% water change weekly?
PhilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: Cloudy water after each water change

What water conditioner are you using? Use purigen too, it keeps water crystal clear

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Are you getting your water from the tap faucet? How are you adding the water to the tank? Some aerators on a faucet create micro bubbles that will make your water appear cloudy until they go away.

I get this if I'm not careful when I use my cheesy WC change method. I don't have a python or a faucet big enough to use with a bucket, so I use a gavel vac backwards to divert water from my kitchen faucet to a bucket for water changes. If I stick the gravel vac all the way over the faucet and submerge the outlet, my bucket of water becomes instantly cloudy due to the micro bubbles the aerator creates. If the outlet is not sumberged, I can watch the cloud of micro bubbles flushed out of the vac and into my bucket.

Just a thought
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
PhilZ
Algae Grower

I use Seachem Prime and tap water. From the faucet I fill up a smaller container and dump into a bigger container. Once the big container is full I add Prime conditioner and stir with my fish net creating a lot of bubbles. Once the big container is mixed I dump the water in the smaller container creating more bubbles. I dump the water in the tank slowly on top of the powerhead so not to disturb anything in the tank. When I am done the water will still be clear but in the morning it's cloudy/milky.
PhilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
~Ace~
Algae Grower

not enough essential bacteria. will take 2 days roughly to clear if that is the case.
~Ace~ is offline   Reply With Quote