Plant advice?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Dtitus1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Plant advice?

So in my tank I recently changed the lighting and started to see lots of algae and plant growth, so I took the advice of people on here and started dosing excel and cut back my photo period to 7-8 hours, but it still hasn't exactly gotten it under control.

I was wondering, will adding more plants do the trick you think? Tank is a ten gallon with 2 13 watt daylight cfls, an ac30 filter, and livestock is a guppy, 5 neon tetras, a platy (gonna swap it for a sparkling gourami or two) 2 corys, 2 nerite snails, 2 amano shrimp.

Plants are micro sword, narrow and crested java ferns, java moss, aponogeton, and water onion. I don't have very much room left, maybe for like three more small plants because I have fake ones that really add to the look that I don't want to get rid of. I was thinking a banana plant and maybe something else, but not sure of something that would be a good fit.

Last edited by Dtitus1; 01-28-2013 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: hbm
Dtitus1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Get some fast growing stem plants such as Wisteria or bacopa or floaters like Dwarf Water Lettuce or Frogbit to out compete the Algae.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

With that light over a 10G, an 8 hour photoperiod, and daily dosing of 1ml of Excel, it's entirely possible to have a healthy and algae free tank - so long as the plants' other needs are met.

Given your fish load, you have plenty of nitrogen and phosphorus from fish waste. But you'll need iron and other micronutrients. Looking at your previous thread, Flourish Comprehensive should take care of this. But it contains very little potassium, which you also need, and I don't see any reference to you addressing. If you wish to continue using Seachem products exclusively, Flourish Potassium will solve this requirement.

Fast growing stem plants are probably unnecessary. In fact, if you add them before solving all nutrient deficiencies, it will make the situation worse, not better - the only competition that will be occurring is plant vs. plant for the limited nutrient supply.

It's harder to get algae to go away once it appears, than prevent it in the first place.

I don't see any reference to what kind of algae you have in this thread or others. Most will be killed by Excel spot treatments. There are some great threads on this, but for your convenience here's a quick description. Shut off your filters. Measure out your daily dose of Excel (1ml), and instead of adding it directly to the tank as usual, mix it with a little water (5ml or so, since 1ml is a tiny amount to work with). Suck it up into a syringe and dispense directly on algae, stretching it out to hit as much as algae as you can. Wait 15 minutes and restart the filters. Repeat daily, hitting different spots each time. This can be a great help in speeding up your tank's recovery.

As plants start to grow better and faster, you can rely more on trimming to remove any remaining algae.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Dtitus1
Algae Grower

The algae is green slime algae over the glass, I did manage to get it off of my fake plants with just the excel and hydrogen peroxide cleaning. Would I still be able to spot treat like you said with a turkey baster or something maybe? As of right now it's only on the glass which is progress.

Also how often do you think I should be dosing the comprehensive and potassium? So far I've only added the comprehensive once.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Dtitus1
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
Get some fast growing stem plants such as Wisteria or bacopa or floaters like Dwarf Water Lettuce or Frogbit to out compete the Algae.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll have to see what I can find.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
caique
Planted Member

Other Names: Blue-Green algae, Smear algae

Color: Blue-green, may also be brown or black.

Appearance
Very slimy, when disturbed comes off in sheets. Grows quickly and covers all surfaces in the aquarium, often giving off an unpleasant swampy or fishy odor.

Cause •Cyanobacteria

•High levels of organic wastes

•Anaerobic conditions
Also referred to as slime or smear algae, blue-green algae is actually the organism cyanobacteria. Overgrowth of this organism generally occurs when there are high levels of dissolved wastes and nutrients in the water.
This may be due to lack of water changes and regular maintenance, overfeeding, or because the tank is new and the beneficial bacterial colonies have not become established. However, because cyanobacteria can fix it's own nitrogen, it can appear even in a well maintained matured tank.

Cure •Physical removal

•Clean tank well

•Partial water change

•200 mg erythromycin phosphate/10 gallons water
Once established, blue-green algae is difficult to eradicate. It can initially be removed by scraping the glass, scrubbing gravel and plants, and vacuuming the substrate. However, the algae will soon return, especially if the underlying causes are not corrected. Regular ongoing water changes and maintenance will delay and sometimes eliminate reoccurrence.
Treatment with erythromycin will eliminate the bacteria causing the slime. However, use of erythromycin can also affect the beneficial bacteria in the aquarium, and should be used with care. If such treatment is used, monitor ammonia and nitrite levels closely for several weeks.
Note: Algae eaters do not eat cyanobacteria.
Prevention •Regular water changes

•Regular aquarium cleaning

•Avoid overfeeding fish
As with any algae, keeping the tank clean and performing regular water changes is one of the best preventative measures. Unfortunately it is still possible to get algae in spite of regular maintenance. In fact, small amounts of algae is normal. Prompt attention to sudden algae growth will prevent more serious problems.

Last edited by caique; 01-28-2013 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: add
caique is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
Dtitus1
Algae Grower

Well I know it's not a maintenance issue, I'm pretty meticulous and it was only when I upped the lights. Is what you're talking about the active ingredient in algae fix? Wondering which will work better, that, or spot treating the excel. If I do what you were talking about I'm definitely gonna remove my bio-max. I've had luck with removing red cyano in my saltwater by shutting off the lights for a few days, would that work for the freshwater? Or are all my plants gonna die.

Last edited by Dtitus1; 01-29-2013 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #8
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

For the Comprehensive and Potassium, start with the dosage and frequency recommended on the bottles.

For the algae, Google up some pics of blue-green algae (BGA), and green dust algae (GDA), both in freshwater aquariums. GDA could sometimes be described as slimy, so I want to make sure we have a positive ID, and the correct treatment.

Erythromycin is commonly sold as Maracyn (by Mardel), and EM Erythromycin (by API), and it's an antibiotic. This has no effect on algae, but works great against BGA, since it's really a photosynthetic bacteria and not algae at all.

AlgaeFix is a surfactant, Busan 77, which disrupts algae cell walls. Good against most green algae types (but not BGA). Can also kill inverts. And occasionally fish, I've done some experimentation with reducing that risk.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #9
Dtitus1
Algae Grower

Alright pretty sure it's green dust algae. I was like... I've had red cyano in the reef and this ain't nothing like that (My snails destroy this stuff but can't keep up). Did have a bit of BGA on my java moss at one point before but I killed it with hydrogen peroxide spot treating, I didn't know it was actually cyano too. Think theres like one tiny tiny spot on the java moss again but it's not much, I'm gonna hit it with the peroxide again.

Think a blackout for a few days and then adding some more plants should get me right?

Btw thank you for helping me figure this out, for a second there I was worried.

Last edited by Dtitus1; 01-29-2013 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: fgdfgd
Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Dtitus1
Algae Grower

Bump?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.