Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 36
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #526
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

You know I don't think anyone has yet to invent a *great* system to get CO2 dissolved. You could even add another whole house filter with the scrubbies and downpipe that would give additional dwell time to the CO2 that way. There really is no hard fast rule. I wish I could recall who it was that was experimenting with a recirculating system that recycled the water through a CO2 chamber more than once. It got some interest but then it sort-of fell off the radar and I really wonder what happened to that. The system looked a lot more complex than the stuff we're playing with here. It was pretty slick (practical? I dunno). Suffice it to say that each aquarium is different and each system has to be designed and tweaked to that particular tank. Sometimes it's seems easier to cram a boilerplate concept into an answer to a challenge and forget that the overall goal is a healthy ecosystem that might require more creativity and of course, money

Have you ever checked out the carbonator from a soda fountain? LOL - I have!
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #527
jeremy va
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK, so I’ve done some more research, re-read the threads and I have another question:

On the basic set up, water exits tank, runs through the filter, gets injected with C02 either immediately before entering the reactor or Co2 is fed into the reactor through a hole in the top. Water and Co2 mix in the reactor and are then returned to the tank.

Some people have problems with this system in that bubbles still appear. This seems to happen when the gph volume is over +/- 150gph but there seem to be other reasons too.

Why not put an “inline” diffuser (Eg: Atomic) before the reactor?

One benefit to this is that the diffuser arrives as a kit (eg: ready to install on 16/22mm pipe if use Eheimand (I think) two other sizes) and it is probably easier to put it inline than it is to find the parts and make up a “T” that fits.

Wouldn’t this make the reactor even more effective at eliminating visible bubbles?
jeremy va is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #528
m00se
Wannabe Guru

There are a lot of different ways that people have introduced the CO2 to the reactor. Including the ceramic diffusers. One thing off the top of my head that makes me think they'd be less than ideal is that they like to clog, meaning more maintenance. I personally started out using a Mag pump with a fractionating impeller for a skimmer thinking it would break up the CO2 bubbles before they got to the reaction chamber. I then changed out that impeller with the normal pressure impeller and didn't see any difference in efficiency as far as bubble leakage into the tank. I'm not saying that some form of turbulence before the chamber is irrelevant, just that my and others experience have not seen it proven out in use. There is a lot of turbulence at the tip of the CO2 line at the point of injection.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #529
discgo
Algae Grower

I think smaller bubbles are more likely to be pulled through the reactor. The larger the bubble the faster it floats up and resists getting pulled through.
discgo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #530
jeremy va
Planted Member

Ok guys, thank you. "Proven in use" is always best. I'm constantly amazed by people's ability to speculate (including my own)!

What about a "rule of thumb" that says the cerges works best with a flow of "fill in the blank" GPH? From what I can see a relatively low flows best: 150gph -- and that is in synch with what disgo says above and what has been said elsewhere on the thread. The exception seems to be when a 20" filter case is used when it looks like a higher flow may work. What do you say?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #531
m00se
Wannabe Guru

My experience has been that it's easy to overwhelm the reactor. I started out thinking a high volume pump would process more water therefore giving me a lower bubble count and saving me $ on CO2. That hasn't proven out in reality. The fact in my case is that there's a sweet spot for these things and if you exceed it you're going to get bubbles in the tank. That sweet spot for me is about 100-120 gph. This is a 40b with a Fluval FX5 as the main filter. Lots of water movement, albeit diffused through 30" of spraybar, so there's no water in the tank that's sitting still. I'm pushing about 4-5 bps through the reactor giving me a full pH stop of saturation, making the drop checker lemon yellow by lights-out.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #532
jeremy va
Planted Member

Mr. Moose, your Fx5 is not inline with the cerges though, right?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #533
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Negatory. Separate system. Both use spraybars.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #534
jeremy va
Planted Member

Mr. Moose, please re-read my post -- I think we are talking past each other (:-). You have filtration (Fx5) and then you ALSO have a pump/reactor for the co2.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #535
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Negatory. Separate system. Both use spraybars.

Negatory: No, the FX5 is separate from the CO2 loop.

Separate system: Separate means not together. Alone. Discreet.

Both: Means 2...

I assume you've read through the thread and seen several pix of my set up by now. I use a Supreme Mag pump for the reactor.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #536
jeremy va
Planted Member

Yup, exactly. We agree.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #537
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

I just made one of these. I also modified the OG design by adding a T to eliminate the need for a drill. HOLY CRAP does this thing blows my ceramic disk outta the park. I am getting pretty much 100% dissolution since i see no bubbles in the tank anymore and I am still trying to dial my CO2 back since my fish are all gasping! . But still, . Great Design!
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #538
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually, so i get soem gas buildup at the end of the day. I purged the system before i went to sleep and this morning i noticed there was still some buildup of gas (no i dont run co2 at night). I am thinking since i use a TOM's surface skimmer, it must be drawing in air which gets trapped due to its low solubility in water. Any ideas what i can do to alleviate this? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #539
m00se
Wannabe Guru

I'm guessing that you have the reactor somewhere in line with a canister? Hard to know where to give pointers with so little info. Unless you have severe problems with leaf litter or other floating debris I don't see the benefit of a surface skimmer, personally. I was looking to go that way when I began battling surface film, but I tried air stones on a timer for 30 minutes during lights-off period, and the scum went away. Stuck with that since, and never went to the trouble of building a skimmer (the ones being sold by the various companies are way too small for true 600 GPH canisters).
Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #540
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I'm guessing that you have the reactor somewhere in line with a canister? Hard to know where to give pointers with so little info. Unless you have severe problems with leaf litter or other floating debris I don't see the benefit of a surface skimmer, personally. I was looking to go that way when I began battling surface film, but I tried air stones on a timer for 30 minutes during lights-off period, and the scum went away. Stuck with that since, and never went to the trouble of building a skimmer (the ones being sold by the various companies are way to small for true 600 GPH canisters).
Yes, it is inline after the canisters output. I wonder if its a matter of adjusting the skimmer. I use the skimmer primarily to increase oxygenation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.