Freshly planted 75g, New to plants and co2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
VJVentrella
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Freshly planted 75g, New to plants and co2

I just set up a planted 75 gallon with a co2 system. I have a few concerns that i was wondering if i could get some help. My Ph of my aquarium is 8.05, my ph monitor is set to a high of 8.15 and a low of 7.75 with a center value of 8. Now the co2 turns on when the ph is at or above 8.0. What I have noticed now is the the co2 comes on at 8.05 and cuts off at 7.75 however it take forever for it to come back up to 8.05 so the co2 is barely coming on if not ever. Is there something I should do to perfect this system? Again my aquarium water has a ph level of 8.05 after water conditioners and such. My kh is 89ppm (5) and my GH is 180ppm (9). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also here is a list of the plant i added:
- giant hair grass
- 1 dwarf baby tears on a rock
- medium amazon sword
- medium green ozelot sword
- floating sensitive plant
- medium rotala indica
- green crypt
- red lotus
- lilaeopsis Mauritius
- jungle Val
- Anubias
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image[1].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	70449  

Name:	image[2].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	70457  

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	70465  

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	70473  

VJVentrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
reel1090
Algae Grower

Why is your ph so high? Neutral ph is 7, and when I am running CO2 I try to hold the ph to around 6.7 - 6.8.
Also get a drop checker. That is the only way to make sure you are getting enought co2 in the water.
Jim
reel1090 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
VJVentrella
Algae Grower

Sorry i wrote that wrong. My Ph is naturally 7.8 , I set the high to 7.9 and the low to 7.6. I'm not sure how much PH fluctuation is actually safe? Also is it possible to have too much lighting? As for the co2 i currently have a drop checker, now it is reading not enough co2. However by the time the co2 comes on for 5 minutes it already reaches the low point and shuts off. Again my co2 is naturally between 7.7-7.8. Any ideas one what i should set my high and low points to? Also any pointers to keeping the list of plants i wrote bright green and healthy?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Co2 induced ph values should not be higher than 7. Set between 6.6-6.9. Educate yourself on this topic it's important as you already know.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #5
VJVentrella
Algae Grower

I did alot of reading on this and i havent heard anything about that...wont the change from 7.9 to 6.9 be harmfull to my fish? Also when i do a water change the water will jump back up to 7.9

Last edited by VJVentrella; 01-22-2013 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: adding
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
chubky
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm pretty new to the co2 system, but everything I have read has been consistent with what Steve said. I would think you should gradually work your ph down so that your fish will have time to adjust
chubky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
caique
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJVentrella View Post
I did alot of reading on this and i havent heard anything about that...wont the change from 7.9 to 6.9 be harmfull to my fish? Also when i do a water change the water will jump back up to 7.9
You could mix half RO with tap and your Ph would stay about 6.6 or so RO is 5.1 ph tap 7.9.

Also if you dose heavy co2 while doing your water change that could eliminate any ph swings , I have a ph probe in the water (connected to my ph controller) so I know exactly what the ph is the whole time im doing the water change if the ph starts to go up I just stop adding water until it comes back down to where I want it.

Depends on what your KH is coming out of your tap though.

Last edited by caique; 01-28-2013 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: added
caique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.