Still Trying!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Still Trying!

Just got a test kit, jumped the gun on tha tank got fish and plants. No cycle time at all first day planted, day three got fish. Tested today results are ammonia looks like 1.0
Here's the rest.
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/a...322DFF3007.jpg

And the tank......
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/a...346D86037A.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/a...346822DCDF.jpg

And of course I need more help. Can't blame no one but me.
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

As your aquarium is in the process of cycling, your fish will be under much stress. Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to fish (and other fauna), so you would be best conducting 50% water changes on a daily basis to keep their levels low.

If you have anyone nearby, see if you can grab some squeezings from their filter media so that you can jump start your cycle as well.

In the meantime, I suggest you read up on the nitrogen cycle, and to prepare for the possibility of losing a few fish.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
As your aquarium is in the process of cycling, your fish will be under much stress. Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to fish (and other fauna), so you would be best conducting 50% water changes on a daily basis to keep their levels low.

If you have anyone nearby, see if you can grab some squeezings from their filter media so that you can jump start your cycle as well.

In the meantime, I suggest you read up on the nitrogen cycle, and to prepare for the possibility of losing a few fish.
Thanks for the straight answers, I have three other tanks with turtles I can use the media in there to squeez into the new one right, should I do this before or after any an all water changes as well?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

another thing to consider is that those test strips are sort've crap. they'll never be as accurate as straight up testing with chemicals.

Squeezings from media won't do anything, you need to use some of that media in your filtration as that is what the bacteria attach to. They'll reproduce real quick that way
Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

What if I squeeze some in the change water and put the sponges in the filter how much longer will it take before the nitro cycle is over what should I be looking for to let me know? You have any sugestive reading on this cycle and when it'll be over an what to do next?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Cthulhu
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just found this really great article on nitrifying bacterias
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-74891/
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Just tested and there's no ammonia and nitrates are 20ppm (safe) but the nitrites are 3.0ppm should I still do water change or leave it?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
Just tested and there's no ammonia and nitrates are 20ppm (safe) but the nitrites are 3.0ppm should I still do water change or leave it?
As answered via private message, any level of ammonia and nitrite above 0 ppm is toxic to livestock. Nitrites are more toxic than ammonia, if anything.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
don't give up., fast tank, path of destruction