The Planted Tank Forum banner

vvDO's 20L Major rescape Dutch style

21K views 127 replies 22 participants last post by  Discusluv 
#1 · (Edited)
No there isn't an actual spaceship in this tank. However my driftwood sure looks like a partially submerged spaceship wing.

Main purpose of this tank is to see what I can grow and also it's my first go at pressurized CO2, non low-light tank. Any help with identifying plants would be appreciated.

I started collecting pieces for this tanks since about 12 months ago during a Petco $1 per gallon sale where I acquired the tank. A friend hooked me up with a metal stand as well as the light and all the plants.

Specs:
20G Long Aqueon
Fluval 205 filled with fluval sponges and dollar store pot-scrubbies.
30" t5HO Zoomed with 1 6500K Ultra Sun and 1 Flora Sun (red) bulb.
ADA Aquasoil New Amazonia regular 9L bag
Matheson dual stage CO2 regulator with clippard solenoid and swagelok needle valve attached to a 10lb CO2 cylinder
UP Aqua drop checker
UP Agua super atomizer

Plant list:
Staurogyne repens
Blyxa japonica
Bacopa sp.??
Hydrocotyle sp.??
Eleocharis parvula
Cryptocoryne wendetii
Rotala macandra
Eichhornia diversifolia?
Hydrotriche hottoniiflora vs Pogostemon erectus (look similar to me)
Myriophyllum propinquum?
Others I can't ID...

Here are some pics...

Next day once all the dust settled and CO2 hooked up..

See less See more
#4 ·
It's been a week since initial setup...
Went away for 4 days and came back to about half my plants melting.
Water change 50% then tested
2ppm ammonia
No nitrites or nitrates

I started dosing macros today, drop checker is a darker green so I also increased CO2

Also note that even with high levels of ammonia, hitchhiker snails are growing and very active. Must be the low pH created by aquasoil or they are super hardy (had 4-8ppm the night before I left)

#6 ·
Thanks!!

Some growth is visible after the major meltdown.

More testing and ammonia is holding steady at 2 ppm
pH is super low, API is yellow which is 6 but I'm sure it's lower than that.

One question... Anyone have any experience with UP Aqua's drop checker? Reliability?

#7 ·
We've got nitrites... finally!!!

Also have a better feel for the drop checker and have fine tuned CO2, turning green with just 2 bps. Instead of using the solution provided, I added my 3 drops of my API pH test kit to 4 kdh solution.

There has been some nice growth on my stem plants and dwarf hairgrass, added mini bolbitis, E. setacium, and rotala indica "singapore"

Pics to come soon.

#9 ·
Update after trimming 2/12/13

After a nice trimming of R. macandra and R. indica 'Singapore' I was surprised to find only one stem floating after last nights trim.

Erio setaceum (named Erio giant crown at AFA) hanging in there...

Start of some algae on wood only, now maybe the snails will leave my plants alone...

Full tank shot...

#11 ·
Thanks, I can't wait to start attaching stuff to it.

Any have any recommendations on what and where plants would look best. I have the following which I can take from other tanks... fissidens, christmas moss, anubias nana. Currently only have mini bolbitis, however not sure if I can get it to attach.

#20 ·
Weed trimming time.

E. setaceum split so I divided it and replanted the 2 stems. Left the rooted stem without crown to see what happens.

Rotalas macandra Japanese and "indica singapore" (which is probably a variety of rotundifolia) grow like crazy and still need some more trimming.

A couple of additions added last week... L. Aromatica and hygro augustifolia.

#21 ·
I started with a 20 long too! mine didn't look half as nice as yours does though... had nice white clown puke with 3 sword plants from petsmart. I guess you can say I've grown up since then... Your tank looks great through. Keep up the good work.

#22 ·
Thanks cc, took a look at your discus journal... Were you able to get rid of your algae?

Here's an update...

Full tank shot

Close up left of center...

Otto sitting on a leaf...

Angel #1

Angel #2

#29 · (Edited)
Damn heaters and their awkward sizes. If you put it in the back left corner horizontal behind the stems it might make your stems look a little fuller because it would push them forward a bit. The plants will find their way around it. It does look like a good setup as is though because with your outflow blowing on the heater you want get cold spots in the tank when the heater is on. Not that it matters a ton. Good looking tank though, the 20l has so much variety of planting styles. Probably my favorite tank size so far. I want a 40b pretty badly! Too bad stands for 40b are limited outside diy. :0

Some Anubias Nana petite would look great in the right side of the driftwood. :)

#30 ·
Petco has a stand made for a 40B, may not be the best looking but it should do.

Here's a video...

Current stocking.
2 Koi angels
3 golden long fin rams
3 ottos
7 white clouds (feeder quality)
Bought 6 Amano shrimp however I rarely see them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.