Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 139
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #2071
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
Not to mention that that "needle valve" is being used to try to get a working pressure of 800 PSI down 2 bubbles per second.

Thanks guys, so where do I find a proper valve? It appears the original poster was able to use this equipment and get 2bps?
scags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #2072
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I wish I could figure out how Jaggedfury made 1 under $80. I was prepared to spend $50.
I spent probably half that making the same setup Jagged made.
20oz Paintball tank (ebay) 18.00
Co2 glass diffuser (ebay) 6.00
Tubing (lowes) 3.00
Needle Valve (lowes) 8.00

total cost so far= 35.00

***However- I have been unable to use the needle valve to control the output of co2 correctly. It appears as though I may need to get a different more accurate valve- or jump ship and get a dual gauge regulator.

I already have a full working co2 setup on my big tank. I was just trying to save some money on my newly setup nano. If only it ever worked that way!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #2073
discgo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are your tanks close by each other? You could split off your other system after the regulator and just add on another needle valve for tge small tank if its close by.
discgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #2074
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do these end up dumping CO2 into the tank when the cylinder gets close to empty?
I'm sure it's in the thread somewhere, but I got 5 pages in from both ends and didn't find anything. 139 pages is a bit daunting.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #2075
pglenn
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

under $50?

can be done easily... $20 for the tank. $10 for the ADA Adapter.$10 for the "needle valve".$10 for a diffusor. odds/ends include check valve and tubing. and those prices are top-end with shipping, if purchased separately. I can supply all the above if needed/wanted for less as a package. HOWEVER...

as others have stated this works but is not recomended. i ALSO have a selection of "proper" regulators and accessories. look at the albums in my profile to see what I gave.
pglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #2076
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
Do these end up dumping CO2 into the tank when the cylinder gets close to empty?
I'm sure it's in the thread somewhere, but I got 5 pages in from both ends and didn't find anything. 139 pages is a bit daunting.
Given that there is no "real" regulator nor needle valve, the chances of EOTD occurring are higher.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #2077
pglenn
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

this kind of setup does work, there are 100's of ppl here that would attest to it. EOTD is also not really reported as a problem. the real issue is, having a "real" setup is not much more expensive than one of these. spend $50 on ones of these, spend $70 on a proper regulator with a solenoid.
pglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #2078
discgo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Given that there is no "real" regulator nor needle valve, the chances of EOTD occurring are higher.
Could you go into a little more detail about why this would be? I thought the eotd was due to a failure of the single stage regulator as the tanks pressure drops. If there is no regulator to fail wouldn't the pressure against the needle valve just become less and less till the tank is empty?
discgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #2079
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I have managed to use the needle valve I have to get a nice bps on my tank. But I find that I have to make adjustments everyday.
My big tank that has a dual gauge regulator is just too far away.

I think in a couple weeks I'm just going to hop on eBay and get a real regulator so I don't have to worry about it.
Just wish this setup was slightly more reliable.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #2080
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also, I wouldnt worry too much about end of tank scenarios. I have only ever read about it on the net- never actually met or spoke with anyone who experienced this. Besides unless your injecting inline i would assume most of the co2 rises to the surface and dissipates.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:24 AM   #2081
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scags View Post
Also, I wouldnt worry too much about end of tank scenarios. I have only ever read about it on the net- never actually met or spoke with anyone who experienced this. Besides unless your injecting inline i would assume most of the co2 rises to the surface and dissipates.
I have seen EOTD before...since I sell and test CO2 regulators more than most people

It is a real event, and can occur with single stage regulators.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 AM   #2082
discgo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I have seen EOTD before...since I sell and test CO2 regulators more than most people

It is a real event, and can occur with single stage regulators.
This contradicts what you said earlier about it happening when there is no regulator.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 AM   #2083
Chrome
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

try chaining to needle valves together, you might be able to get better control that way. first valve slows it down a little, second valve gives more precise control. Not sure if it works that way, but for $8 for needle valve, it might be worth a shot to try it.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #2084
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am now using 2 needle valves. I have better control now, but find myself making adjustments daily. Really annoying. Definitely appreciating my main tank's 60 dollar dual gauge. Money well spent. I wish they would make a dual gauge that directly attached to paintball tanks - other than that 150 dollar red sea one- which looks cheap regardless of the price.

Searching the web for a high pressure fine adjustment needle valve seems hopeless.

PS- I am sure EOTD do happen, Co2 is deadly to fish/shrimp/snails and caution should be exercised when using any co2 setup!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #2085
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgo View Post
This contradicts what you said earlier about it happening when there is no regulator.
Perhaps I should clarify.

My first comment regarding the "real" regulator was unclear. Also, I may have misused the term "EOTD," adding to the confusion.

Let me define EOTD as when there remains no more liquid CO2 in the cylinder, and the gaseous CO2 begins to rush into the regulator, and it not being able to regulate the gas, will release it in increasingly large amounts into the aquarium (EOTD does not usually catastrophically release all the CO2 in at once).

Now, with most single stage regulators, the above phenomenon will occur.

With cheaper (I refer to this as "non-real") regulators, i.e. this one:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...0&postcount=11

EOTD can occur, but it is more likely that they will not be able to regulate the pressure from the start (i.e. when there is still liquid CO2 in the cylinder), and will result in a catastrophic failure (as it did for that user).

Actually, in that thread, the paintball cylinder released all the gas (while the cylinder was new), killing all the shrimp.

Then (later in the thread), a single stage regulator end of tank dumped into another aquarium, killing off all German Blue Rams and their fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scags View Post
Searching the web for a high pressure fine adjustment needle valve seems hopeless.
If you were open to running inline needle valves (rather than mounting them), you could use any standard needle/metering valve.