Anyone using screw in LED spotlight bulbs?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Anyone using screw in LED spotlight bulbs?

I have been wandering around Lowes quite frequently and I keep seeing LED spotlight bulbs. The come in many styles, from what looks to be 1 powerful LED to having 7 or more LED's. Wattage is in the 9-25 watt range.

I guess my first questions would be are they useful? I am looking into a simple and somewhat cost effective way to try LED's before I build a fixture from scratch. However, they range from about $30-60 per bulb so it's not cheap enough for me to just try them out and see what works, like CFL's. I really like CFL's, even though they are not the most cost effective way to go as you can change out the bulbs if they are too dim/bright without buying a whole new fixture. They are cheap, they just aren't cheap when you experiment, but the bulbs can go into lamps, etc.

Secondly, if the do in fact work, I would like to give them a try. I was wondering if one design is better than another, as said, some have many LED's, some have one or 3. I would be using this on my 6 gallon nano which I don't know the dimentions for off the top of my head. I am currently using two 15 watt CFL bulbs, mounted horizontally with no real reflectors to speak off. I want to use one bulb in a reptile/clip on light type DIY fixture. I don't think the reflector will really do anything, it is more just a stylistic thing.

Just wondering if this is a viable option. If so, how similar is the output to CFL's. What I mean by this is if I buy a 50 watt equivalent, would that be similar to a 50 watt equivalent CFL?

Hopefully the link works. It doesn't seem to work for individual products:

http://www.lowes.com/Search=led+spot...potlight+bulb#!
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

They could work. Probably not worth the money, and they don't seem terribly efficient for an LED, at least one of the 20w I clicked on was rated at 1000 lumens, which isn't very good. I have 2 from ebay, ones a 3x 3w, and ones a 4x3watt, they are very bright and i think the 9 cost around 5 bucks and the 12 around 12 bucks because its straight up blue light. They have an optic on each led that focuses the beam which is nice. Look for "e27 LED spotlight" the ones with multiple 3w leds are pretty good.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1542 View Post
They could work. Probably not worth the money, and they don't seem terribly efficient for an LED, at least one of the 20w I clicked on was rated at 1000 lumens, which isn't very good. I have 2 from ebay, ones a 3x 3w, and ones a 4x3watt, they are very bright and i think the 9 cost around 5 bucks and the 12 around 12 bucks because its straight up blue light. They have an optic on each led that focuses the beam which is nice. Look for "e27 LED spotlight" the ones with multiple 3w leds are pretty good.
Good to know. I did see that most bulbs had only marginally better lumens per wattage compared to CFL's. I was thinking that it would still save some power, and get me started on LED's. I can mess this up once as I do have two incandescent spotlights in my garage that I would like to get rid of but it may just be better to use CFL's which are much cheaper and do a true LED build later with all the fancy stuff.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
sdylanh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

See this I posted yesterday: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=221073

Same idea you had just on a larger scale. I'm extremely satisfied so far with the outcome.
sdylanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
Acen
Algae Grower

Yep i have 2 Home Depot floods at 5k cool white rated at 1200 lumens and 110 watts comparable.
The lights are over my 13 Gallon shallow and have proven to be WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY TTTOOOOOOOO bright, I have been slowly raising the lights over the past few months and have now maxed out at above 3ft over substrate.

The vertict is still out but im now considering buying a Finnex Ray 2. The lights do grow plants well, im growing UG, HC, Glosso and Even L. Shaeracarpa is doing well but i regret buying the higher lumens after realizing that for the cost at $39.00 each plus 2 pendents (From Ikea) totaling $95.00 i could have just bought a Ray 2 or competitor light and maybe had a bit more control over the light range. but overall this is a considerable option..

here is a pix of my setup.

[IMG][/IMG]

more pix
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Acen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've looked at these a few times myself but always wondered the same question. I'm trying to light an 18" cube and I'm really torn between one of these and a Ray2 but leaning towards the Ray2 because I can read the charts and know what I'm getting and how plants will respond.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

They definitely work

VIDEO 2 months after pic was taken >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFzsDlC2N8E

Info on my DogFish's 40 journal thread.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
They definitely work

VIDEO 2 months after pic was taken >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFzsDlC2N8E

Info on my DogFish's 40 journal thread.

How pretty , what do you keep in it as far as fish or shrimp?
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acen View Post
Yep i have 2 Home Depot floods at 5k cool white rated at 1200 lumens and 110 watts comparable.
The lights are over my 13 Gallon shallow and have proven to be WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY TTTOOOOOOOO bright, I have been slowly raising the lights over the past few months and have now maxed out at above 3ft over substrate.

The vertict is still out but im now considering buying a Finnex Ray 2. The lights do grow plants well, im growing UG, HC, Glosso and Even L. Shaeracarpa is doing well but i regret buying the higher lumens after realizing that for the cost at $39.00 each plus 2 pendents (From Ikea) totaling $95.00 i could have just bought a Ray 2 or competitor light and maybe had a bit more control over the light range. but overall this is a considerable option..

here is a pix of my setup.

[IMG][/IMG]

more pix
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Wow how nice. Reminds me of the Amano type tanks in TFH.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdylanh View Post
See this I posted yesterday: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=221073

Same idea you had just on a larger scale. I'm extremely satisfied so far with the outcome.

Great tank will look amazing when plants fill out, You can simply screw that led spotlight in a regular socket and from what I understand LED does not give off heat ?

I ask this as know nothing of LED .

Thank you
Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
Algae Beater
Planted Tank Obsessed

yup,

I have posted this tank a few times before. I often ignore it and hence I am battling some thread algae.

biggest issue with any LED is it's secondary optics. narrow beams are great for deep tanks but have awful coverage and the revers is true for wide beams.

Algae Beater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

You simply screw them into a regular socket. They do give off heat, but the shiny metal part you see that makes up the bulk of the light has a very important function as the heat sink.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1542 View Post
You simply screw them into a regular socket. They do give off heat, but the shiny metal part you see that makes up the bulk of the light has a very important function as the heat sink.

Thank you, going to home depot or lowes this weekend and will look at them for an open top shrimp tank which I am doing.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algae Beater View Post
yup,

I have posted this tank a few times before. I often ignore it and hence I am battling some thread algae.

biggest issue with any LED is it's secondary optics. narrow beams are great for deep tanks but have awful coverage and the revers is true for wide beams.

Great looking and the bamboo growing out adds alot, what do you keep in it?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just ordered a couple for testing on my 30x30x35cm cube.

Looks promising, they is 3x3w epistar/cree with 6,5w power consumption.

Jnad
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote