DIY Simple Light Reflector $3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Ukranianwarrior
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY Simple Light Reflector $3

So i have a power compact light hood and recently order 2x6700k from AH supply. I read up on an article by Hoppy this the link to the article about lighting that he wrote (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774).

So as i was reading this article i began to comprehend that reflectors play a big important role and with the new bulbs on the way i decided to improve my reflector. I did some research and found that the best reflective material out there is something called MYLAR. Its much better than aluminum foil. You can find it as tape or sheeting from home depot but is is a little bit more expensive. You can also find it in items such as space blankets or food bags like i did.

Here what i used
Glue $1
Thermal Food Bags $1
Poster Paper $1
Scissors (Who doesn't have scissors?)
All of these items were purchased from dollar tree.

Step #1
make the proper measurements on the poster paper in order for it be able to fit into your canopy/hood. Make sure to include the "divider" ( which is going to separate your lights. DON'T NOT BEND ALONG THE LINES YET. I made that mistake and regretted it.
Step#2
After you done making your measurements get your food bag and cut it carefully out. Throw everything out but the mylar sheeting. This is what you will glue on the poster paper.

Step #3
PUT GLUE ONTO THE SIDE THAT DOESN'T HAVE YOUR MEASUREMENTS. I wanted to do this put completely forgot lol.

Step #4
Take a credit card and carefully get rid of the air pockets/excessive glue. Then wait for it to dry.

Step #5
Bend along the lines and put it into your camopy/hood.

One thing i want to mention that there is a big difference in the light. It does go downward towards the aquarium rather than spreading out so i believe this works.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010167.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	74162  

Name:	P1010168.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	74178  

Name:	P1010171.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	74186  

Name:	P1010174.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	74194  

Ukranianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Based on my testing, mylar is not as good a reflector as ordinary aluminum foil or thin aluminum sheet, or even good white paint. The shape of the reflector and how much room there is around the bulb for light to escape from behind the bulb is at least as important and the reflector material. This shape \_/ with the bulb in the middle, doubles the light compared to no reflector. Just bend the two sides to an angle that lets you see a good, full image of the bulb on each side of the bulb.