Help with my DIY ADA style stand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Default Help with my DIY ADA style stand

Okay so I'm trying to build an ADA style stand for my 45-P so only roughly 10 gallons. I don't mind overbuilding because it gives me piece of mind. Tank is 18 x 10.5 inches. I want to build an ADA style stand and have tried researching every possibly thread for weeks but still am confused since I'm not a woodworker by any means. I build some basic frame type stands out of 2x2's for a 10 gallon in my garage I didn't care about. It seemed to have held pretty well but wasn't good looking since it was just a basic frame. Well I want this to be a nice ADA style cabinet for inside my living room. I don't want the formica, I'm probably just going to paint or stain it to save money and just to make it easier for me.

I've looked at tons of threads and even jB's article on his site. But I'm trying to figure out what to do for my smaller tank but I still want it to be very strong. Any ideas? Here is my idea, I just don't know if this would even work or be strong. Warning, I don't have many tools. Mainly a drill, screwdrivers, wrenches, hammer, woodglue, the basics.

My idea was just getting two sheets of 3/4" plywood. Using it to make two sides, a back, bottom, top and that front skinny panel above the door that you see on the ADA style stands. Then I would basically join each panel together with glue and then screw a couple screws in at each edge where the panels meet to hold it together while the glue dries. Then eventually cut a door and install hinges and mount the door. So basically though, it is just a box like stand made from 3/4" plywood. No frame or anything using 2x2 or 2x4. Is that safe, would that even work? Would that just break? Should I also add metal L-brace type things to every corner inside the cabinet to make sure it doesn't move? Like I said, overkill is okay with me.

I have no clue as to what to do but I know I want to start soon because I want this tank setup! Lol

Please help out a non-woodworker figure out how to work with wood.
Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
PRSRocker3390 is online now   Reply With Quote