Do you have to dose fertilizer everyday?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
greenaqua
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do you have to dose fertilizer everyday?

I just started my first planted tank. 30G fresh water. I have T5 10000K 42W lighting. No CO2.
I have Cobomba caroliniana, hairgrass belem, Helanthium tenellum, Vesuvius and some Fissidians and Flame moss.

I am trying to understand all dosing before I buy all fertilizers. This is what seems to be the consensus.

20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week

Questions:
1. If we do a mix of micro and macro every other day.. That's dosing everyday. Is that really necessary? Can plants really use up all the nutrients in a day?

2. Also, does it require 50% PWC? Some say 25%, some 50%.. Any points on that?

3. I am planning to use Flourish Excel. Is this good enough for carbon to live without CO2?

Thanks!
greenaqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaqua View Post
I just started my first planted tank. 30G fresh water. I have T5 10000K 42W lighting. No CO2.
I have Cobomba caroliniana, hairgrass belem, Helanthium tenellum, Vesuvius and some Fissidians and Flame moss.
If that is T5HO lighting, that is a lot of light to not be dosing and not injecting CO2 (I would reduce the lighting until you get CO2 and fertilization).

Quote:
Questions:
1. If we do a mix of micro and macro every other day.. That's dosing everyday. Is that really necessary? Can plants really use up all the nutrients in a day?
In a high light aquarium, plants can use up nutrients very quickly. The dosing regime you have posted appears to be EI, and the goal of EI is to achieve a stable level of (excess) nutrients so that they are always available to plants.

Quote:
Classic EI requires 50% water changes in order to keep the levels of nutrients down.

Quote:
3. I am planning to use Flourish Excel. Is this good enough for carbon to live without CO2?
In a high light aquarium, CO2 is much better. Excel is more suited for low/medium light aquariums where the carbon requirements of plants are less.

In addition, Excel can become quite costly in the long run.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-26-2013 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Fixing code
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Questions:

Thanks!

1) No, they cant, but that's the whole point.

2) 50% is just a nice round number we use and it prevents a crazy excess build up.

3) Excel is helpful. Pressurized CO2 is the best.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

You don't have to dose daily, it just seems nicer for the critters in the tank. Play with this nifty calculator to see how things change with water changes of different %.
http://calc.petalphile.com/
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
greenaqua
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you guys for the tips.

Does this high dosing affect fish? I am planning to add Neon Tetra after a month or so.. But plants are primary.
greenaqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.