Microfish ideas for a HUGE shrimp tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Microfish ideas for a HUGE shrimp tank

I want to try to find a very shrimp friendly small fish for when i start my 80g shrimp tank (yes you read that right). I plan on carpeting the foreground with HC and the back half of tank is a custom built 3D background that i think will be striking vs shrimp. I plan on a variety of shrimp ranging from Fire Red cherry, to maybe some black king kongs, and even some larger amano to change up the scale a little.

Right now ive been looking at Scarlet Gem Badis as i love the colors, but am unsure even with their small size, that they will be good to have in a shrimp tank. Any one have any experience with these fish? My other alternative is to move some of my Endlers that breed like crazy in my 30g into the 80 and let them continue to breed like rabbits.

I am more looking for the fish more to keep some movement higher in the water column and the "fertilizer" means of their feces, etc. I am goin to use eco complete with a thin black sand cap (mainly to just assist in the HC planting until they root down). pressurized CO2, with light provided by 6-8 20w 6500K Landscape LED lights i found on amazon for 23$ each that provide great coverage. Once i get the tank moved into the living room ill post a thread up showing the build, or check my youtube as i plan on vid logging it also.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Smitty06
Planted Member

If you want to do bkks, then I would go with ADA aquasoil for the substrate because it will take the ph down as well as gh and kh. I would NEVER put scarlet badis (Dario dario) in with expensive shrimp because they will eat a lot of the babies. I would only put in male endlers because they will lose interest in the shrimp faster than the females (who seem to be more intelligent).
Smitty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I could never see putting in any fish with expensive shrimp. I would be to worried about them being eaten like Smitty stated.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Heterandria Formosa?
Badis might eat shrimp same with CPDs and Dwarf emerald danios . Idk much about boraras
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

I'm quite sure you would be safe with Boraras - either B. Brigittae or B. Maculatus.
There are a couple of other Boraras species as well.
They're very small fish and I can't believe they would even attempt to eat small shrimplets.
I do think though, that you'd need a very large school of them in an 80 gallon for them to feel comfortable, and that you would enjoy looking at.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Pygmy cories? Maybe just otos
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Pygmy cories I have with my shrimp and I love them in the tank their usually all over the place but Duckmasta was looking for a top swimmer and cories are on the bottom-medium range at least mine are.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

A large number of Neoheterandria elegans.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Ill look into borara options, see if any of my LFS can get them even as i know they dont normally keep small fish aside from neons.

Im also tossing idea around in my head of doing a layer of Fluval Stratum between the ecocomplete and sand cap, to help the shrimp along. Course that is if I dont change my mind altogether and go discus in this tank, but id prefer a 220 or something once I start a discus tank.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckmasta View Post
Ill look into borara options, see if any of my LFS can get them even as i know they dont normally keep small fish aside from neons.

Im also tossing idea around in my head of doing a layer of Fluval Stratum between the ecocomplete and sand cap, to help the shrimp along. Course that is if I dont change my mind altogether and go discus in this tank, but id prefer a 220 or something once I start a discus tank.
DISCUS ? - In an 80 gal tank ..... now you're talking !!!
That's all you need - not a 220 gal !
Think about it, seriously.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
CharleeFoxtrot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Oh yeah I second the discus! Do the shrimp in a smaller species only tank. Much easier to set up, and you can get close enough to enjoy watching them.
CharleeFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
Freyr
Algae Grower

I have a couple cherry shrimp in my 20 gallon which also houses a badis. They will definitely eat baby shrimp. When my female had some babies he went right for them! Some of the shrimp did survive though since the tank is heavily planted. once they grew to about half inch the badis paid them no mind. Guess that's why they're called micro predators. You could give it a shot, but you most likely lose half the shrimplets.

80 gallon planted discus tank would be excellent. However, I'd like to see a tank that size with an avalanche of shrimp a bit more!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
crazydog64
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Man I can just envision an 80 covered in Supreme Fire Reds, that would be a sight. For fish I would say some of the Borara species would be your best bet, but I'm pretty sure some of the babies would be eatin.
crazydog64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Boraras are alright. I had them with cherries, but I cannot vouch for the fact that they never touched the shrimp. Only because i didn't observe it, doesn't mean they didn't do it. Don't put CPDs, guppies (endlers included), scarlet badies, or really any fish. I'd put otos and maybe dwarf cories if you really really want fish. A good rule of thumb is that if the smallest shrimp size could potentially fit into the fish's mouth, be sure they'll try.

Especially with high grade shrimp like BKKs why risk it? And most shrimp are colored as wee little guys already, like the Fire reds are red, even the juvies!! You can be sure a fish that can see them will chase them as these colors stand out (maybe not directly BKK, but again, why risk it?)
Hobbes1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #15
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Well my kitchen remodel is nearly complete, floor gets sealed tomorrow night. Then my next project is quick touch up on drywall and prime/paint. After that it is finish up the stand for the 100/30 tank and get the 100 back set up. All in all I am looking at about 2 weeks until I get the 100 set and fish transfered from the 80 into the 100. From there I will be collecting equipment to get the 80 scaped and set for shrimp, trying that idea first as its relatively the cheapest for the time being. Will be fish free until i can get a good population of shrimp.