Breeding Neon Tetra's
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
qazplm25
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Breeding Neon Tetra's

First of all I'd like to say that I have not posted in a while and I love the similar threads finder, what a great idea!

Anyway, I have 5 neon tetra's alone in a 29g that I purchased together when they were very small and now, about 10 months later, they are full grown. First, I would like to ask if anybody here has any personal experience breeding the neon tetra and also if you could give me advice on my plan.

I have set up a 10 gallon breeding tank next to the main one with a dark bottom covered in marbles a heater, a small filter, and a clump of java moss. Out of my 5 fish I believe their is only 1 female (or at least only one noticably rounder fish). I put the female into the breeding tank and have been feeding all of the fish live baby brine shrimp and a little of their usual flake food. In a few days I plan to combine the neons and see if anything happens and if not I will keep them together for a few days and then do a 50% water change using RO water.

What do you guys think about my idea and is it O.K. to just put in RO water without any additives?

Thank you so much!
~~~~~~~~~~ Michael ~~~~~~~~~
qazplm25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
fishscale
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

It's incredibly difficult. The fry have some pretty strange light requirements. Do a search on this forum for it, one guy managed to successfully do it, but the yield was low.
Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

55 Gallon Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

fishscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
BruceWatts
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

You may have to do some adjusting to your water chemistry as they will need lower Ph and or blackwater to get them to spawn. I would do away with the marbles as it will make it impossible to see the eggs and fry. Java moss would be a better choice. The fry are very small and you will need to have the appropriate size food cultures, probably paramicium or other small animals.

The fry are extremely sensitive to light and may need a darkened tank and very sterile water. I used a UV to sterilize my fry tank water. It can be done but it is really art for art sake as the neon is very inexpensive and easy to find. Neons and cardinals are two of the hardest species so not that many people try and breed them. I managed to raise both species in the 1980's just to see if I could pull it off.

Bruce
BruceWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

The purpose of using marbles with egglayers is so that the eggs will fall down out of reach from the parents. Once the adults have finished spawning, you can remove the adults, and once the eggs hatch then you also remove the marbles.

Java moss would also be a good choice, however.

I've heard some success stories using rainwater and driftwood, peat, and/or leaves to create tannins in the water.

I'd use RO mixed with a little tap water, perhaps 9/1 ratio, just to be sure there's a little trace in the water.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
genie27

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default What am i looking at? eggs perhaps?

I'm providing a photo to what i think could be neon tetra eggs. You can see these small tiny white/yellow im thinking eggs on the themometer and a few on the sides of the tank. I noticed two days ago 2 of my tetras chasing each other and it looked like they were nipping one another but no one is hurt.

Can anyone confirm for me?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	428099_10152473336445644_1789609390_n.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	72442  

genie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
NeonRob
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie27 View Post
I'm providing a photo to what i think could be neon tetra eggs. You can see these small tiny white/yellow im thinking eggs on the themometer and a few on the sides of the tank. I noticed two days ago 2 of my tetras chasing each other and it looked like they were nipping one another but no one is hurt.

Can anyone confirm for me?

Thank you
Neon Tetra eggs typically fall to the bottom of the tank, but I have seen some stuck to java moss before. I've never seen then stuck to anything plastic or glass before. What else is in your tank? Snails?
NeonRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
NeonRob
Algae Grower

You need soft water and a way of separating the parents from the eggs. By building your own egg trap, this can be accomplished. An egg trap also allows you to see the eggs so you know when to remove the parents and darken the tank. There is a wealth of info on breeding Neons by googling.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
genie27

I had 3 tetras, 1 corydora cat fish and thats it.
genie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
NeonRob
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie27 View Post
I had 3 tetras, 1 corydora cat fish and thats it.
What I would do if I were you is to put that thermometer into a container with some tank water and darken it with a towel to see if anything hatches. If they are fish eggs, this batch looks infertile, but it's worth a shot, because you have nothing to lose. Tetra eggs hatch in 1-2 days. Cory eggs hatch in 3-6 days. Next time this happens, collect the eggs as soon as possible and darken.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Tenor1
Planted Tank Obsessed

Years ago we had cardinals that would breed and they seemed to like a big patch of moss. They seem to breed before sunrise and we actually got lucky enough to watch the process. We have kept fish for 50 years and only had these happen a VERY few times. We did not attempt to save the eggs or fry and all were enjoyed by the tank inhabitants. Sure wish we had pictures.

After 50 years I do a lot of things right, but still get things wrong
Tenor1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, experience, neon, tetra