Fish bowl/vase nano
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
aeternum23
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fish bowl/vase nano

Hi all,

Just curious, but does anyone have pointers on how to set up a successful fish bowl nano? It's shapped like a vase but has a very wide middle, about 8 inches at the widest point. It's also about 11 inches tall. I'd estimate the volume to be a little less than 1 gallon.

As far as live stock, I don't plan on anything more than a few shrimp, most likely amanos, glass or anything hardier than those two.
aeternum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Livebearer101
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, here's what i reckon is worth investing in to make this thing a success.

First of all, you're gonna' need oxygen for those shrimp so let me suggest this. I have one in my sister's minnow bowl and it keeps everything flowing..

http://cgi.no ebay links allowedco.uk/NEW-SMALL-INTE...QQcmdZViewItem

I know its on a UK Ebay but thats an example of it. Its only about 13 inches high and will ensure life to remain living in your bowl/vase.

Next just get a tiny bit of substrate with a tiny bit of plant fertiliser etc and get a nice root plant to cover this filter up. Something like a hygrophilia polysperma (but even that may be too big). Just a nice tall plant to cover it up. Then stick some glossostigma in the front as a nice carpet plant and a few tiny pebbles here and there.. and voila.. enjoy

Also, i have no idea if it will be hot enough anyway but i think shrimp will need heating.. you might want to look for a mini heater too. I got minnows for my sister because they can cope with slightly slower temps.
Livebearer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:22 AM   #3
h20 plant
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I really dont think you will need a filter for the tank if you have some plants and do frequent h2o changes every week then the shrimp will be fine. The amano shrimp by what I have seen are good and hardy shrimp thus making them a good candidate for the vase. For the heat it would be best if you record the house temp at night, especially now during the night, but I really dont think you will have a problem. As for plants you need to know what type of light you are going to use first. Im not a total expert so please speak up if you think what i said is wrong or misleading.
h20 plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
littleguy
Algae Grower

I wouldn't use a heater or filter. I've had good success with nano tanks and shrimp that way. Check out the link in my signature for all the details.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
littleguy
Algae Grower

I'd also use red cherry shrimp (if you can get them) instead of amano or glass shrimp for a tank that small. They're very hardy and don't seem to have strict temperature requirements.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
h20 plant
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

for planting in this tank would he need fluorite or would established Pea gravel work on plants like micro swords? Just like to double check.
h20 plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
aeternum23
Planted Tank Obsessed

One other thing I should mention, this bowl will be in my office. The daytime temp is usually around 72, but it can drop to 60 or so at night. Any ideas on how I can heat such a small volume of water w/o overheating?

Thanks!
aeternum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
Stan the Man
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeternum23
One other thing I should mention, this bowl will be in my office. The daytime temp is usually around 72, but it can drop to 60 or so at night. Any ideas on how I can heat such a small volume of water w/o overheating?

Thanks!
For interest, Hydor makes a submersible mini heater (up to 2 gallon tanks), and it can be hidden under gravel. http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/p...tegory_id=4028

However, I agree with the others. Don't worry about the heater. Also, given that you the vase is quite small, it'd be difficult to fit a filter in there, and wouldn't be needed with frequent water changes.

Good luck!
Stan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
katy_bug
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan the Man
For interest, Hydor makes a submersible mini heater (up to 2 gallon tanks), and it can be hidden under gravel. http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/p...tegory_id=4028
I have been working on a 1 gallon fishbowl from a vase I bought at Target. I bought the hydor mini heater and I wouldn't recommend it for such a small volume. It does not have an internal thermostat and in only one gallon, my temps ranged from 78 - 84. I decided to ditch the heater and my temps range from 65-75 and my cherries do just fine.

Have fun and post some pictures!
katy_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
mr.gaboozlebag
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

check out this site:
http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquarium...cid=58&search=
mr.gaboozlebag is offline   Reply With Quote