?? Glass Polish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

?? Glass Polish

I have a problem. The inside surfaces of every glass panel in my 56 column tank are covered with a milky film. This is not hard water deposit because I have tried several times to clean it up with razor blades and vinegar, but with not effect at all. It seems more like something etched into the glass. I do not know what caused it. I suspect that the tank came with this glass defect because I noticed it not long after getting the tank. I should have returned it, but a couple of months had already passed after purchase and I had it full of water.

I want to get some good pictures of this setup, but it's hard. I have found that I can get a pretty clear shot by wiping down that front panel and shooting real fast before the thin film of water evaporates.

Does anybody have any experience with glass polish? Could I hope to clean this up with glass polish?

Thanks!

hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Anybody?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
ReluctantHippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Local car parts store should be able to point you in the right direction. They usually care a range of different glass polishing products. A watch repair store once told me the secret to polishing glass as well but I unfortunately forgot it - another good resource though.

And beautiful tank.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantHippy View Post
Local car parts store should be able to point you in the right direction. They usually care a range of different glass polishing products. A watch repair store once told me the secret to polishing glass as well but I unfortunately forgot it - another good resource though.

And beautiful tank.
Hey thanks! I will try an auto parts store.

I was hoping that I might be able to carefully polish the glass without having to empty the tank, but it sounds as though polishing requires a lot of hard rubbing. So I will probably have to take it all apart.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Having polished glass with chrome polish that you find in the auto parts store, it's probably not something you would want to get in your tank water.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Strgazr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have seen a guy on Ebay selling a fish tank aquarium glass scratch stain polishing kit. He is in the UK and I haven't tried it myself, but saw it and he has a lot of info on his post.

Last edited by Strgazr; 01-23-2013 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Strgazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Buff it with plain white toothpaste.
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE EVERYTHING

glass polish is a hard glue resin that has small diamond bits incased within it. it will remove small pieces of glass everywhere.. it will kill any fauna for sure

look up diamond paste glass polish. and rent a small orbital sander with a wool buffing wheel..
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Try Mr.Clean magic eraser. Works wonders for me. Make sure it's the plain type.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Contrl
Algae Grower

Regardless of what you do, if it works let us know.

I've got a similar dilema with my large tank,,, looks ok filled but looks dreadful with dry glass. I'd like to dry start it, or do high humidity riparium, but may be stuck with a totally full tank as it looks so bad otherwise.
Contrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE EVERYTHING

glass polish is a hard glue resin that has small diamond bits incased within it. it will remove small pieces of glass everywhere.. it will kill any fauna for sure

look up diamond paste glass polish. and rent a small orbital sander with a wool buffing wheel..
You could probably use a cerium oxide paste for less.

Using it can be done in a stocked aquarium, but it is a lot of work.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

It should be possible in theory at least. A lot of the glass-fronted shops routinely get graffiti scratched into them, And then get it polished off. -If you look at the glass at a low angle, you can see the distortions from the uneven surface, but it looks pretty normal straight on.

I don't know how difficult this would be, or whether it would be cost effective (vs. buying a new tank).

If it's just a light haze, you probably wouldn't need to polish anywhere near as much.

Good luck, and let us know what happens if you try it.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 AM   #13
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the tips everyone! I will look into these suggestions.

I hope that I can do this without tearing down the tank--I know that this would take me all day. If I can find a less toxic product what about taping a drape underneath the abovewater area to hang above the water so I can work above it on the glass? Could I hope to do this?

Oh and here's another recent shot of the tank. I was rearranging it some more. I took this picture fast after wiping down the front pane with water. You can see a bit of the milky film up along the top of the front pane.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #14
Simpsoid
Algae Grower

Cerium Oxide is the professional way to polish glass. I'm sure it has differing grades of courseness and requires a lot of manual "elbow grease" but it's the best for the job as it's what glaziers use to get a crystal shine.

I'd say from a chemical point of view it'd be pretty inert (don't quote me on this) as it's just an oxidised metal. From my understanding it's like polishing your grandmother's silverware with "Silv-o" or cleaning a kitchen sink with "Jif" you just use a cloth and rub it in circles in the small area until the scratches / blotches are gone.

Polishing glass with Cerium Oxide

Cerium Oxide
Simpsoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #15
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsoid View Post
Cerium Oxide is the professional way to polish glass. I'm sure it has differing grades of courseness and requires a lot of manual "elbow grease" but it's the best for the job as it's what glaziers use to get a crystal shine.

I'd say from a chemical point of view it'd be pretty inert (don't quote me on this) as it's just an oxidised metal. From my understanding it's like polishing your grandmother's silverware with "Silv-o" or cleaning a kitchen sink with "Jif" you just use a cloth and rub it in circles in the small area until the scratches / blotches are gone.

Polishing glass with Cerium Oxide

Cerium Oxide
Hey thanks so much for these details. It looks like I can get the pure powder (maybe this will be pretty safe if I'm careful) on amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=cerium+oxide