brown water
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

brown water

i recently set up a 55g with a MGO base capped in 1-2in of black diamond blasting abrasive, in the past few days though my tank has turned the color of tea (and i mean dark tea, think earl grey or light coffee even) and i can barely see through to the back because of how dark the water has been dyed. does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

Water Change!!! Do 50% to 75% water change everyday or other day until it has clear up.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dl3 View Post
Water Change!!! Do 50% to 75% water change everyday or other day until it has clear up.
i was afraid that would be the only solution... so far my purigen isnt making a dent and even water changes only temporarily fix the problem
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

do you have driftwood in there? if so its the tannis leaking out.

just keep on with the water changes and it will clear up eventually

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
do you have driftwood in there? if so its the tannis leaking out.

just keep on with the water changes and it will clear up eventually
no driftwood, just the soil base which likely contains a fair amount of wood chips
Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
i was afraid that would be the only solution... so far my purigen isnt making a dent and even water changes only temporarily fix the problem
Water change is always the best solution. Only do chemical as the last resort.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tannins aren't harmful, they're just unattractive to some people (google blackwater aquariums; some are quite lovely). I hear activated carbon filters will help alleviate the coloring when water changes are overwhelming.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

Been there! In fact, 2 months after setting my tank up with MGOPM and an ecocomplete cap, the water is still a watery tea color within a week of doing a water change. Not as dark as originally, but if I look at the tank from the side I can really tell. It doesn't really bother me so I don't sweat it.
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinibottom View Post
Been there! In fact, 2 months after setting my tank up with MGOPM and an ecocomplete cap, the water is still a watery tea color within a week of doing a water change. Not as dark as originally, but if I look at the tank from the side I can really tell. It doesn't really bother me so I don't sweat it.
i'm hooking 3 eheim canister filters in a row all filled with carbon, if that doesnt fix it nothing will, i also did a 50% water change, i can now see the back of the tank

Last edited by pmcarbrey; 01-22-2013 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: .
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
cichnatic
Planted Member

Water change is your best solution. You can try to stuff one of the three eheim with sponges and filter floss to help with mechanical filtration.
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
JimmyZ
Algae Grower

Another option, albeit an expensive one, is to run a diatom filter. I bought one years back when i first planted with Flourite and didn't rinse it thorough enough. Within 1/2 hour of running, the water was crystal clear. It's not something I use regularly anymore, so it's hard to justify $100 cost. However. when when I do need it, it clears the water to the point that it's crystal clear. I typically used it to polish the water after rescaping or if I upset the substrate in my non-planted tanks while heavily cleaning the gravel. Also, it doesn't affect the biological filter or change water parameters. Although, I would think it probably pulls some nutrients out of the water column.
JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Exie
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Exie Send a message via Skype™ to Exie

Yeah I did this. I let it go for a month (Deep red, couldn't see 1/2 an inch into the tank). Then I did a 100% water change down to the cap. Filled it up, waited a few hours, and did a 100% wc again. After the 4th or 5th one it was only a light yellow, so I started adding fish.

S'what happens when you don't skim the wood chips out of mgopm
Exie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyZ View Post
Another option, albeit an expensive one, is to run a diatom filter. I bought one years back when i first planted with Flourite and didn't rinse it thorough enough. Within 1/2 hour of running, the water was crystal clear. It's not something I use regularly anymore, so it's hard to justify $100 cost. However. when when I do need it, it clears the water to the point that it's crystal clear. I typically used it to polish the water after rescaping or if I upset the substrate in my non-planted tanks while heavily cleaning the gravel. Also, it doesn't affect the biological filter or change water parameters. Although, I would think it probably pulls some nutrients out of the water column.
Thanks for the advice! I just got lucky and bought one off of craigslist for $30, I pick it up tomorrow!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
JimmyZ
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Thanks for the advice! I just got lucky and bought one off of craigslist for $30, I pick it up tomorrow!
Good score. Let us know how you make out.
JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Will do! Thanks for all the advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.