Preparing for Sulawesi Cardinal Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

Preparing for Sulawesi Cardinal Tank

I'm looking to get some Sulawesi cardinals in the near future, and I want to make sure I have my bases covered before I attempt to keep them. I have a 55 gallon with fluorite in it that has been used for a few months with goldfish and plants in it to build algae and maintain the cycle.

My water parameters out of the tap are ph 7.4, kh 8, gh 12, nitrate 0. I plan on using RO water and adding the necessary ingredients to bring it in line with what cardinals need. I've read different reports but from what I understand, cardinals need 8-8.2 ph, temp 82+, kh 6-8, gh ? , TDS anywhere from 200-400 depending on the source.

Temperature I can control. GH I can add via Bee Mineral GH+. I use this to increase my tiger tank from RO to gh 6, TDS 120. I figure I can add some baking soda to increase kH. I have some aquarium ferts, including MgSO4 which I think I could use to increase TDS if necessary.

So how do I maintain pH? Can I add a thin layer of aragonite sand on top of my base? Will that buffer it enough? I've read that using coral jumps your TDS up to around 300, I can't tell if this is ok or not. And where do I get coral?

Hopefully you guys can help me out. Keep on shrimpin on.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

I use crushed coral (get from any pet store) in a filter bag in the canister filter for my cardinal tank. There's another product by the same company that makes that Bee Mineral GH+, it's called salty shrimp sulawesi 8 or something like that, i'd use that to condition your RO water, it'll raise the GH, KH and pH to the exact level (or so the package claims, hah)

oh yeah, and please take the goldfish out before putting your cardinals in the aquarium!

and let your aquarium re-cycle once you change the pH and temperature, that might shock some of the beneficial bacteria into a mini cycle.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Puddles
Suspended

I checked a shrimp product site I use and they had two sulawesi products, one which brought the ph to 7.5 and one which brought it to 8.5. It claims cardinals will do well in either, but I would guess the 8.5 is better?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

Yeah the 8.5 is better if you're getting Cardinal from someone keeping theirs at 8.5
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Puddles
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Yeah the 8.5 is better if you're getting Cardinal from someone keeping theirs at 8.5
How do you keep yours, for reference? I'll probably be getting in touch with you when I go ahead and buy some.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

Mine are above 8 pH, I use coral in the filter and I use the Sulawesi 8.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.