Old Tank Causing Infertility?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Simplicity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Old Tank Causing Infertility?

Hey All,
I've been breeding CRS/CBS for over a year now with poor survival rates. Regardless, since winter my tank has been at a standstill in terms of saddling and getting berried!

I have not had a berried shrimp since beginning of November. My parameters have been constant throughout and look good. I did move houses and my tank took a beating (1 or 2 die offs) but that was back in Sept 2012. Since Sept I have seen 3-4 batches of babies until Nov when the last CRS got berried.

My next theory after claims on "winter" season have been killed since local hobbyists arent having issues in this season.

The only theory than remains is the fact that it is an old tank with old AS....
1.5 year old ADA Amazonia II.
Getting around 6.8ph, gh5-6, kh0-1 so its not too bad.... could my lack of berries be blamed to my AS?

I plan on building a new setup but wanted to identify why my CRS stopped breeding

*I also spotted a dead juvie CRS last night No explanation as to why.
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

What are nitrates like? Any algae seeming to grow to indicate phosphates increasing?

This I think was the problem with my old Netlea soil, all of a sudden more and more algae, niitrates that were always around 40ppm and no more babies. I even took my soil out, rinsed, tested in a cup of pure RO water, within 24 hours, 40ppm of nitrates. I never tested for phosphates but considering the tank had no algae for 2 years, and then it started with no changes, I have to assume the soil had absorbed tonnes of nitrates and phosphates over the years and was now releasing them as it had no more ability to store.

It does happen with Aquasoils. You also don't know other minerals or toxins the soil could have absorbed over the life of the soil and is now releasing.

This is my thread on it, and my tests with no active substrate, near bare bottom tank and a near neutral pH.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...561&highlight=

So far lots of berries, starting to see a few babies. The next few weeks they should start dropping the babies, so we'll see when I start to see more or not. It's always hard because babies can hide for months before you even know they are there. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Simplicity
Algae Grower

Nitrates are 0 (tested many times, other tanks read 30-100, so its good)
I had TONS of algae but cut it all out weeks ago, but it is slowly growing back I believe the algae was causing 0 Nitrate readings!!

*i checked out your post, looks promising! HMF looks like a potential for me.... but the cost of the sponge and internal filter will run up some cash

My idea is to setup my 40G for CRS by:
-adding a Mosura Old Sea Mud and BT-9 to the glass floor
-pour 2-3 bags of ADA Africana
-add some frogbit, stems, and plants
-fill with RO water and dose with GH+ and aim for 5GH, 0KH, 100TDS

-add established sponge filter
-leave lights on for 1 week straight to stimulate algae
-transfer and drip acclimate 5 shrimp

if all is well after 2 weeks. transfer remaining 60 CRS/CBS and connect my established canister filter.

any tips on layering substrate (never did this) and what base bacteria to add to bottom
Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i noticed with my crs one tank is breeding one isnt. the one that is i keep the light on longer and it stays a bit warmer than the tank where they crs are not breeding. still could be the winter thing.

with aqua soil i belive it leaches ammonia for quite a while that is why more end up letting it cycle for a good month or more also to help with the biofilm the shrimp feed on so i wouldnt rush it in 2 weeks if you are going to set up another tank.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Simplicity
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i noticed with my crs one tank is breeding one isnt. the one that is i keep the light on longer and it stays a bit warmer than the tank where they crs are not breeding. still could be the winter thing.

with aqua soil i belive it leaches ammonia for quite a while that is why more end up letting it cycle for a good month or more also to help with the biofilm the shrimp feed on so i wouldnt rush it in 2 weeks if you are going to set up another tank.
I will definitely test the params before introducing shrimp. ADA Africana leaches very little ammonia regardless, so 2 weeks may be enough, if not 4 weeks will be good as you said. My tank is sitting at 21 degrees, it should be perfect temp, as it is controlled by a heater.