tetras attacking my new crs - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #16
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirayaman View Post
dont the crayfish eat the shrimp?

i got crs cause i like the look not really into going nuts over my water. so i dont
they all are alive and berried and molting they eat alge i got plenty of that hahah. i figure if i get enough. the ones that survive will be strong. but so far havent had any shrimp die just the dam fish attacking them.

i do my water changes.
Ok, I'm lost. So you're CRS are all alive, berried and molting...yet you just put them in yesterday? So were they berried when you got them? Ya know, shrimp don't just die the next day a lot of times, it can take them a few weeks to die from parameters that aren't ideal for them. If you don't know not to keep fish with shrimp that I assume you don't know that parameters for keeping CRS is different than cherries and ghost shrimp.

Folks here tried to help you but your posts sound like you aren't really looking for much help, sorry. Please read the sticky at the top of the shrimp forum, if the fish don't kill all of your shrimp your parameters probably will. You need test kits if you want to do this right. Good luck.

Also don't know where the crayfish question came from but I have crays in with about 50 shrimp...the crays are too slow to catch them. Would I put them with expensive shrimp? Umm no, not worth the risk.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

my question is what size tank is this to have all those tetras in it and how many of each? i dont think it was a good idea to put that quality of shrimp in with fish. the coloring on them makes them stand out alot more than cherry shrimp
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Just one question....WHY????? You've been a member since 2008. This is an issue I'd expect a newbie or someone new to this hobby to encounter.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #19
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

guys i know im new to shrimp. and a bit of a [language removed by moderator]. i have red all comments and will be doing what was said. the fish are bye bye.
shrimp tank only
can i get more otos? or are they trouble too
are there any smaller types of fish i can keep. ones that cant get there mouths on my little shrimp?
yes the crs i got some were berried. they all were fine. still are and eating what ever they eat fish flakes/alge.
will get a test kit if i have to. will wait and see. ik stupid move.
sorry for being abrasive. text doesnt have emotion.
thx for all the awnsers.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 01-23-2013 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: watch the language
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #20
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like it is appropriate to leave it at good luck, but I did want to respond to something..

Jamie, I think he may have sarcastically been responding to one of my links in my signature, as I to this day do keep shrimp with a crayfish.

I don't mind the sarcasm. When I get SSS shrimp in a month or so, I know they'll be good for a long time because I spent a good 5 months setting their aquarium up for them to live alone.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #21
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

Ooooooooooooooo, gosh I was scratching my head on that cray comment.

pirayaman, otos should be fine. Those are the only fish touted as being 100% shrimp safe though. There are others that SOME have luck with (some, not all) but that's going to be up to you if you are willing to risk the shrimp.

CRS just are a bit pickier than neos and its good to read up on the parameters they need because you will possibly just be throwing money out the window otherwise. I've jumped the gun myself and bought things without knowing what I was getting into...lost quite a bit of money. I've learned to slow down a little bit now...though not by much. LOL! Glad you got the fish out of there, now figure out your parameters and if you need to alter anything and you'll be good to go. If you want to not 'mess with your water' then cherries may be the simplest thing...even then though the wrong parameters can be bad for them as well. Keeping shrimp is FAR more difficult than any fish I've ever kept..much more focus on water parameters and such involved that I thought there would be.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #22
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

I've never had a problem with bushynose plecos, as they stay nice and small. I think you need to do a lot of reading on how to keep shrimp and definitely buy an API freshwater testing kit.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #23
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

also, don't think just because the fish is smaller than the shrimp or that their mouth is too small to eat a whole shrimp they are safe. Not the case, I made the mistake of trying some of my adult rcs with Dario Dario as an experiment, and would have NEVER thought they could handle an adult shrimp...not the case. Instead they waited til they molted and were nice and soft, and hello fat happy Dario. Didn't believe it til I caught one in the act of dismantling a full grown female rcs that had a fresh molt right next to it. If your not doing ottos or bristle plecos, I say your asking for trouble, it's just a matter of time. On a side note, very pretty shrimp and goodluck!
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #24
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

They don't have to wait til shrimp is molted either, my ember tetras would eat the eyes and legs off of the shrimp and leave the body twitching on the bottom.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #25
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

ive had baby bristlenose eat cherry shrimp before so i wouldnt go with them. i do have Heterandria formosa (least killie) in with some of my crs and so far so good. but then again they as adults get about the size of an adult crs too. there are a couple micro fish i have heard of that are ok but never tried them and for the life of me can think of any of the names right now
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #26
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirayaman View Post
guys i know im new to shrimp. and a bit of a ass. i have red all comments and will be doing what was said. the fish are bye bye.
shrimp tank only
can i get more otos? or are they trouble too
are there any smaller types of fish i can keep. ones that cant get there mouths on my little shrimp?
yes the crs i got some were berried. they all were fine. still are and eating what ever they eat fish flakes/alge.
will get a test kit if i have to. will wait and see. ik stupid move.
sorry for being abrasive. text doesnt have emotion.
thx for all the awnsers.
Get rid of all the fish you have in there. I don't like fish in any of my shrimp tank but I don't usually tell someone what to keep in their tanks.

No biggie.. beginner mistake. Better luck on the next batch.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #27
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I hav tons of Amanos. Crs and Rcs mixed in with jumbo neons. Rummynose and rasboras. Absolutely no problems. All breeding.
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by concepts88 View Post
I hav tons of Amanos. Crs and Rcs mixed in with jumbo neons. Rummynose and rasboras. Absolutely no problems. All breeding.
see thats what i thought i wasnt the only one. my 29 was whey heavier planted. when i switched tanks to this 40 breeder i found babies cherry shrimp that i never saw before. also i planed on getting cooler plants so i didnt use everything from the 29. didnt want the problem of pulling well rooted plants from mgops and making a mess.
i know i had 20+ crs from babies to almost adult size. i can only count 6 bigger ones now. and i spend hrs searching cause the babies were the best. and i know if they are smart they will hide
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #29
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

As Liam mentioned above, all can be peaceful for months. Then, bam, they develop a taste for shrimp and it's all down hill... literally overnight.

Before anyone considers keeping shrimp - especially something with specialized water parameter needs like Crystals - please read through the shrimp sticky and know what you're doing before you have shrimp in your possession. It'll make your life easier and your critters will thank you.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
As Liam mentioned above, all can be peaceful for months. Then, bam, they develop a taste for shrimp and it's all down hill... literally overnight.

Before anyone considers keeping shrimp - especially something with specialized water parameter needs like Crystals - please read through the shrimp sticky and know what you're doing before you have shrimp in your possession. It'll make your life easier and your critters will thank you.
Yup.. my SAE developed a taste for shrimp and it wiped out my entire population of 100+ amanos.