10 vs 10 show vs 15 at work
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-11-2006, 01:57 AM   #1
AoiGSR
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 vs 10 show vs 15 at work

Since January, I've been setting up my tank with florabase in an Eclipse 6 gallon tank here at work.

While the lighting is okay (8 Watts), I am being tempted to go with either a 10 gallon acrylic, 10 gallon show, or a 15 gallon. I don't want to use glass for fear of breakage in my office which is full of computers.

I want to continue with using it as a planted theme with fish using Seachem fertilizers but, not sure about the filtration system (I assume canister at work is overkill and messy or if I should use the Marineland with Biowheel). I want to avoid the use of CO2 but use Seachem Excel instead.

The dimensions are as follows (Seaforlife Acrylic tanks):

10 Gallon Regular
20" x 10" x 12"

10 Gallon Show
24" x 8" x 12"

15 Gallon Regular
24" x 13" x 12"

The lighting system I want to use is the Current-USA's Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixture rated at 40W which will fit over the 10 gallon regular.

If it is the 10 Gallon Show or 15 Gallon, then the wattage would be 65W.

I think the 15 Gallon will be too big since I would have space for my huge mouse pad, Therefore, either 10 gallons will be a better choice.

All will be acrylic tanks. Any recommendations?

-AoiGSR
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
skylsdale
Planted Member

Personally, I prefer the dimensions and layout possibilities of the 15 gal...but if space is an issue, maybe it's already out of the runnin?
Old 02-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
AoiGSR
Algae Grower

I think the 15 might be too big since it juts out 13" as opposed to 8". The original 10 gallon juts out at 10" so I guess that's a compromise in that dimension but is also 4" shorter.

Unless I go for a 15" show which would be

15 Gallon Show
30" x 10" x 12"

This would be like a 10 Gallon regular dimension but 10 inches longer. That would be nice but might be too flashy at work. I am thinking either the 10 gallon regular or 10 gallon show. not sure which is better for layout but also for the fish's swimability (For example schooling the neon tetras in there )
Old 02-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
DurocShark
Algae Grower

What about a 24" long 6.6 gallon?

EDIT: I've since taken out the plastic crap plants. I was waiting for the anacharis that you see there.
DurocShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
AoiGSR
Algae Grower

nice tank is that glass or acrylic?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
mrbelvedere
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere

Gotta love the 15.........
Old 02-16-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
DurocShark
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoiGSR
nice tank is that glass or acrylic?
More like plastic than acrylic I guess. But it's pretty darn thick, and glued at the back corners, so who knows.

I still have the box here and it doesn't say a word about what it's made of.

BTW: Dimensions are; 23.75" x 11" deep x 9" high

Only available at Petco B&M it seems. The company that makes it is a subsidiary of Petco, and the tank isn't listed on Petco's website. SKU# is 801119
Old 02-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
littleguy
Algae Grower

DurocShark - how are you liking that tank so far? I've seen it and been tempted - I like the aspect ratio and "deskable" size. What type of lighting does it come with?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Perfectblue
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleguy
What type of lighting does it come with?
I bought the same tank and I'm going to be planting it. The kit comes with a 24" strip light and a 18" 15watt fluorescent bulb which equals out to 2.27wpg.

Hey Durocshark are you using the filter the kit comes with? because I'm thinking of switching it out for a AquaClear 20 when I setup mine.

AoiGSR- Although this tank is smaller gallon wise then a 10 or 15 gallon the dimensions are great and I think it would make a great little office tank.

2.5 Gallon Pico Reef

Two Bettas
Perfectblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
AoiGSR
Algae Grower

It definitely looks nice

I wanted something that would have more Lumens than my Eclipse 8W 6G system (which seems to be growing Crypts and some ferns really nice so far ) i guess that tank would be longer for almost the same gallons. I think that one is a possibility. I'd like to go take a look at it at at Petco if I can (What is Petco B&M? Is that different than Petco?)

Thanks for the responses so far
Old 02-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #11
DurocShark
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleguy
DurocShark - how are you liking that tank so far? I've seen it and been tempted - I like the aspect ratio and "deskable" size. What type of lighting does it come with?
I really like it. I just have a row of anacharis in the middle for now, along with my 2 ADF's and one betta.

I'm using the filter it came with for now. It's just a Whisper mini and works fine. An Aquaclear would be nice, but really unnecessary unless I need more chemical filtration at some point.

The 15w light is great, but get a new tube ASAP. The one that comes with it, "AquaAce Bioplant" is craptastic. I'm picking up a powerglo or something this weekend.

Oh, and "B&M" means "Brick and Mortar" aka not online. Real life.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #12
AoiGSR
Algae Grower

ahh B&M now i know I wasn't sure of that phrase yet. That light is MUCH better than the 8W that comes with the 6G Eclipse.

My baby corys are loving my 6G right now though. Just using them to help start the tank out. When their longer tank is ready, I'll just transfer them over. I hope my office doesn't look too much like a fish store