CO2 output straight into a filter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
fluvaledge
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 output straight into a filter?

Hi

I have both a pressurised and DIY CO2 stytem running in my Fluval Edge 23l. When i moved to the pressurised system, instead of give up on the DIY which works well I though that it would be a good idea to output the DIY system via a sintered glass atomiser stone into the bottom of the hang on filter, under the sponge mechanical filter. My thinking being that the CO2 bobbles will get caught in the filter sponge and therefore have a longer time submerged and therefore diffuse more efficiently.

My question is whether this will affect the biological filtration at all. What effect if any will the addition of CO2 bubbling have on the bacteria, and will this be detrimental?

I have a drop checker and regularly check Ph and ranges are good even with both pressured and DIY systems running
fluvaledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I really wouldn't think you need any DIY CO2 anymore if you're using the pressurized stuff.
The impeller in the HOB filter probably isn't going to like the bubbles, and the bacteria in the filter wont be thrilled about it either.
And I don't think you need to go through all that when you can just tweak the needle on your pressurized set up.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
funkman262
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
I really wouldn't think you need any DIY CO2 anymore if you're using the pressurized stuff.
The impeller in the HOB filter probably isn't going to like the bubbles, and the bacteria in the filter wont be thrilled about it either.
And I don't think you need to go through all that when you can just tweak the needle on your pressurized set up.
I agree with this. Bacteria become more inefficient (and possibly die) as the water becomes more acidic, and if the CO2 is going straight into the filter before it has a chance to diffuse through the rest of the tank, that the water going into the filter could be extremely acidic. Also, save yourself some trouble and just stick with the pressurized.
funkman262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
fluvaledge
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice, I think I will stick with just the pressurised system in which case
fluvaledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

You're welcome. And you also get the added benefit of less equipment in the tank and not dealing with making new batches of DIY CO2.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
co2, co2 advance, co2 diffuser, co2 help, filter equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.