DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 90
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #1336
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamski View Post
water detector?
Let me see how you will modify sound to shut down the switch. I have some ideas including baby toys.
Hi Plamen,

I'm assuming what you mean is how to use the impulse that sounds the alarm to shut down the water valve? At any rate, that is exactly my plan.

As to how it will be accomplished, here DK has a little confession:

Yesterday, she was reading an article about a thing called dyscalculia. Very interesting article, the gist of which is that there appear to be discreet pathways in the brain that enable calculation ability, and in some folks, who may be highly intelligent otherwise, this ability to calculate just ain't working efficiently.

So. Um. Yes.

DK's brain, while not affected by dyscalculia, does rather glaze over and go into seizures in the realms of, say, electronics, physics, and more abstract types of chemistry.

Basically, if it's too abstract for DK to draw some sort of cartoon in her mind (OK, so now you know what goes on in there), she sorta loses focus and her mind just...wanders...offffff...duty.

Which brings us back to the topic of how to take the electrical impulse sent out by the detector to the alarm, and use that impulse to tell my water main valve to shut off, and stay shut off.

So, she admits, she was just gonna dump this on Other Geek, assuming he'd wiggle his twitchy fingers on the keyboard and order up some sort of relay.

For now, it's conceptual, and she has no actual plan. Well, the plan is: present the objective, and dump it on Other Geek. That's why this is Phase I, which entails putting in a perimeter sensor, and a screamer when it "feels" wet, and ditch battery dependency. If the power goes out, her master valve defaults shut, anyway. It's when the power is ON that the Watersnake must tell the valve to shut if there is water detected.

So, y'all hit me with your ideas. Go ahead. Make my day. Make it cheap, tho. And non-proprietary. And modular. And easily re-configurable. And reversible. And...

Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #1337
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

Well, I saw the switch with the ring. If you make spring of the switch softer, then you can go in Toys"R"us and buy /they use to have those toys/little like ball doll which start to shake and jump when baby start to cry. If you attach it to the switch it will bounce and switch it off under alarm stress. Kind of MacGyver thing which is not the best for protection.
I'm working in high end digital cameras company where products are invented. I have all equipment, parts, engineers for free and I still bought ready product/you remember my 4 tanks rack/there is a link $70 total.
With 2 words. You have very low voltage , amp etc signal from the alarm .In order to shut down valve you will need a lot more power. Then you have to buy power supplies, electrical relays-$15-30 each, resistors, some diodes, etc. Just too expensive if you like to make it right
It can be done cheap but then we can’t rely on it.
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #1338
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamski View Post
Well, I saw the switch with the ring. If you make spring of the switch softer, then you can go in Toys"R"us and buy /they use to have those toys/little like ball doll which start to shake and jump when baby start to cry. If you attach it to the switch it will bounce and switch it off under alarm stress. Kind of MacGyver thing which is not the best for protection.
I'm working in high end digital cameras company where products are invented. I have all equipment, parts, engineers for free and I still bought ready product/you remember my 4 tanks rack/there is a link $70 total.
With 2 words. You have very low voltage , amp etc signal from the alarm .In order to shut down valve you will need a lot more power. Then you have to buy power supplies, electrical relays-$15-30 each, resistors, some diodes, etc. Just too expensive if you like to make it right
It can be done cheap but then we canít rely on it.
Hm. But then, the baby bouncing toy no doubt is battery powered, yes? So when the battery in it dies...

Actually this funky switch is for another purpose, anyway.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 08-27-2013 at 11:14 AM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #1339
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Let's take an aside here, for an EXECUTIVE VIEW of the DK Watersnake project.

DK likes to think in levels (if you can call what she does "thinking," that is). She has what she calls the EXECUTIVE level, which is like a bird's eye view of something, the large picture. She first tries to look at this level, and make EXECUTIVE RULES and EXECUTIVE OBJECTIVES, from which the projects flow.

So what is the executive view of the watersnake project?

In a past life, DK had pounded into her brain that when planning a project or solving a problem, you should work two parts of your brain simultaneously while thinking about it: 1) What is the MOST COMMON thing that could go wrong, and 2) What is the MOST DRASTIC thing that could go wrong. So you keep a dialogue about these two ends of the problem in mind when approaching a project.

In the case of the watersnake project, there are two basic scenarios. The most common is some small sort of water on the floor, due to some annoying thing that needs adjustment, but is not major. However, we want to know about the water so we can identify the thing needing adjustment, and fix it, and so we don't have small amounts of water constantly, feeding the humidity level in the room.

An example of this would be the recent drain pipe backup from the sump basin. This problem wasn't going to flood the room, but would have put a small puddle on the floor at regular frequency.

AND THEN

And then, we have the big problem. This would be any breach of DK's water system while the master valve is open and the system is pressurized, which would result in massive amounts of water accumulating on the floor until such time as the water system is shut down by closing the master valve. In this case, we could have hundreds of gallons or more of water on the floor, basically we're talking like a pipe breaking loose type of scenario.

This is particularly important because unfortunately her basement does not have a floor drainage system, so lots o' water has nowhere to go if it accumulates. This flaw is an EXECUTIVE PLANNING FAIL, but at the time we built this house DK had no idea she would be building a Shrimporium in the basement. You just never know what she will end up into!

Her objectives in the DK Watersnake project are on a few levels.
  • The first level is local notification. If there is water on the floor, she wants a screamer to tell her so.
  • The second level is valve control. If there is water on the floor, she wants the master valve turned OFF, so water can't ACCUMULATE.
  • The third level is REMOTE notification. If there is water on the floor, and the screamer is going off, but there is nobody home to hear it... here, we're talking about a remote dialer scenario.

+++++++++++

Right now, we focus on the first level, and put off the others until they have more time to stew and ripen. But her basis for comparison is not this (waterwatcher product - first pic below), but rather this (continuous perimeter monitoring system - second pic below).

So, she is not trying to DIY a $xx-$xxx system, but rather a $xxxx-$xxxxx system. Functionally. And at an order of magnitude or more less cost, and without proprietary componentry. (Although a future auto-dialer likely would be.)

What she wants is CONTINUOUS PERIMETER sensoring, not SPOT sensoring. Because, in the Shrimporium, she has the main plumbing input and output of the entire house, the well tank, the hot water heater, a utility sink, and then entire rack system of her tanks, including the DK Water Factory.

Any one of which could be a source of water on the floor, needing fast attention. Anywhere in that room.

She doesn't want to wait until there is a whole layer of water in the room before a spot sensor "sees" it. The earlier a water source is detected, the better, so she wants a continuous perimeter sensor.

OK, long enough post, and I think we'll wait until the rough install is done and we have some beta testing, before we stick our neck out any further here.

(Oh GEEZE, after this post, she hopes it works. Usually she beta tests something before spouting off about it in her thread, but sometimes she is prone to shooting from the hip - well, actually she is often prone to this, BUT has learned to hide it and delay displaying it until she has a damage control plan already in place!!! You have to understand that a lot of her projects are entertainment value, and not necessarily a claim to a better re-invention of the wheel. She just wants to fool around with stuff. Yeah.)

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-14-2013 at 11:48 PM..
Old 01-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #1340
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

And Plamen, thank you.

After 24 hours of staring at this post, DK has figured out Phase II. She just gets a WaterWatcher and patches it into the circuit, plugs her master valve solenoid into it, and voila.

She was sipping joe from the Bubba Mug, and achieving alpha wave status just now, and it hit her.

While it is a proprietary component, it will likely be nearly as cost effective as buying parts & pieces (relay, power supply, outlet, project box, etc.), and it will definitely be more time efficient and space efficient to go with ready made in this case.

Probably could have just used WaterWatcher as the main detector and alarm unit, too, but we already have ones so will just patch it in. Need to see sensitivity on it to see if it can read the circuit properly...
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #1341
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

Hi Donna .You are welcome. This is one tiny info help in return to your great support to our shrimps-lowers community
You will be happy with it. I did some tests. It is very good .5sec response time with water TDS 130 and up. With RO is kind of slow but still work. There are plastic screws on the sensor legs-3mm thick .Firs I decided to take them out in order sensor to react on minimal water leak but when I left it on the tiles under the tanks on the second day he shut down the pumps. He was triggered form condense on the ceramic tiles. Now it is with plastic screw on it and work just fine for a month.
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #1342
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So, Shrimptern 0.0 spent the better part of the day down in the depths of the Shrimporium, yesterday. We had a lot of fun!

It was really a trip, because Shrimptern 0.0 had their first trip here years ago, when DK still had plastic drawers from the dollar store for tanks and was monkeying around with the origins of Water Factory 1.0.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Take a look at the ravaged salad bar. Don't let those svelte Mermaids let you think they are refined. Behind the scenes, they are reality show material. Here's the cultured netting before I put it into their tank, and then after just a few days in the tank. Not a leaf of lettuce, a shred of cheese, a crouton, an alfalfa sprout, or a bacon bit left anywhere.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #1343
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

time for more cashew jars? lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #1344
pKaz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKShrimporium View Post
So, Shrimptern 0.0 spent the better part of the day down in the depths of the Shrimporium, yesterday. We had a lot of fun!

It was really a trip, because Shrimptern 0.0 had their first trip here years ago, when DK still had plastic drawers from the dollar store for tanks and was monkeying around with the origins of Water Factory 1.0.
It's true, While I can't say that I'm the first person to help out DK with some kind of "Shrimpy Project", I was one of the first. Plus Shrimptern 0.0 has such a cool sound to it. I saw the Shrimporium before it even had actual tanks as part of the shrimp rack, when the Waterfactory was just an idea. And speaking of the Waterfactory I can confirm its awesomeness as I got to see it whirling and clicking about yesterday draining and filling tanks without any human intervention.

I helped DK run and install the wires for the water on the floor alarm. It was good to be back! I had to scale down my aquarium situation while I was in search of finding a new house. Now that is all over and done with, and I'm moved in, I plan to expand my immersion into shrimp keeping. The shrimp I picked up from DK are doing really well so far!

Last edited by pKaz; 01-21-2013 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: wrong reference
pKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #1345
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

While trying to get good pictures of the shrimp tank, (which kinda failed). I did manage to get a good macro shot of the chameleon a while back. Link should have the picture nice and big. Enjoy

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...ps86b99ad0.jpg
Mrturritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #1346
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

I did manage to get a decent picture of a berried shrimp today, one of the very few clear pictures I was able to take. I can't claim I screamed like a man when I saw my first berried shrimp.
http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...psc65dcdf3.jpg
Mrturritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #1347
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKaz View Post
It's true, While I can't say that I'm the first person to help out DK with some kind of "Shrimpy Project", I was one of the first. Plus Shrimptern 0.0 has such a cool sound to it. I saw the Shrimporium before it even had actual tanks as part of the shrimp rack, when the Waterfactory was just an idea. And speaking of the Waterfactory I can confirm its awesomeness as I got to see it whirling and clicking about yesterday draining and filling tanks without any human intervention.

I helped DK run and install the wires for the water on the floor alarm. It was good to be back! I had to scale down my aquarium situation while I was in search of finding a new house. Now that is all over and done with, and I'm moved in, I plan to expand my immersion into shrimp keeping. The shrimp I picked up from DK are doing really well so far!
Thanks for the post, PKaz.

PKaz got to use a Maserati, see the lid levitation, view Papaya pigment in real life, of course - eat -, and then help out with the project-du-jour (pronounced PROH-jay-doo-jure). And, of course, see the whacky, wild, wonka madness of the WFIII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturritos View Post
While trying to get good pictures of the shrimp tank, (which kinda failed). I did manage to get a good macro shot of the chameleon a while back. Link should have the picture nice and big. Enjoy
DK gotta new tech toy for the latest holiday. So after procrastinating using it the better part of a month, because it involves a learning curve, she was forced today to try it out. Much easier to draw curlicues with a pen than a mouse, she must admit. Doesn't seem to improve her artistic talent, although our model's striking beauty speaks for itself:

IN OTHER NEWS:

DK is EXCEEDINGLY proud of herself. Last night, she managed to completely scale BOTH Germans' teeth in their entirety. She did not think our feral wolf child would approve, but surprisingly he held still enough. Definitely helps to have alpha status, when attempting such a feat.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #1348
pKaz
Algae Grower

^ The chameleon picture above is awesome!
pKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #1349
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKaz View Post
^ The chameleon picture above is awesome!
Does that neon pinky color remind you of anything? Hmmmmm?

And how did the Other like yellow? I should think it would look very nice.

IN OTHER NEWS:

New record, today, a dozen at once in the backyard. Naturally, by the time DK found the camera, zoomed, and the dogs were going haywire, she only managed to shoot one pic, before they all bounded off, and her pic only shows nine of 'em.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-14-2013 at 11:49 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #1350
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

thats one good/ bad thing about living on military posts. they are all wild life refuges. we have fox, deer, all kinds of birds (huge turkey) and even coyotes. was not thrilled when a coyote ran down the fence line a bit behind the house but nothin i could do. and the silly deer will walk down the road. even had one stand in the drive way and not move for 5 min so we could pull in one night lol. at Ft Sill in oklahoma they have such awsome huge elk that is a heck of a sight on a frosty morning with them walking though the feilds there.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote