All Fluval Spec Mods - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 AM   #16
WONTAR

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is my fluval spec V Iíve had up and running for about 3 months.

Currently have 2 threadfin rainbows, 3 danio galaxy, an oto, and 2 CRS and 3 ghost shrimp. Since setting up the tank Iíve only lost 1CRS to what looked like a molting problem, but that was just a couple of days after introduction - the other two have seemed fine for 2 months now.

The plants are all stock plants from Petsmart, but have really done well. Currently 25% of the water is changed weekly, with daily Excel doses.

The only modifications I made to the setup was the addition of an off brand LED light (8000K white/12000K blue) and an AquaClear 20 powerhead to get some water agitation for increased CO2. The tank is divided up into two minor eco systems. The left side is brighter, open, with faster water movement. The right side is darker with slower water movement. The oto loves the quicker brighter side, while the shrimp hang out more on the darker quieter side. I gave up taking pictures of the fish, they move to fast.

I have been surprised at the plant growth. Need to get in there a do a little aquascaping, but some tools bought on Amazon are wrapped and under the Christmas tree.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank1.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	59356  

Name:	tank2.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	59358  

Name:	tank3.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	59360  

Name:	tank4.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	59362  

WONTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #17
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

That's an awesome spec! I like the changes. I'd definitely add more ottos to the shoal.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
WONTAR

Thanks! One of the things that attracted me to the V was the sleek stock light. But now it is driving me crazy - very difficult to work around it if you need to get into the tank.
WONTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #19
maxwellag
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Alrighty..

So a few things I've learned..

In order:

1: The tank is really nice, but you could always replace the filter. The black section is easily removable, and you could stick in some normal filter and still use it like that, just have the extra deep space.

2: If you hate the frosted glass, and you want to try out the idea in #1 (keep in mind that is kind of a permanent mod..) you can put normal scotch tape on the frost, and it makes it see through again. I personally like it the way it is, so I haven't done this.

3: I've looked for different filter ideas, or how to make it better, but I feel like for keeping fish and baby fish, you should put a nylon stocking rubber banded over the outflow if you have the stock black outflow unit.

4: The filter slit at the bottom is/was a huge issue for me. I'd love for different successes and failures on it, but I realized that plugging it completely wasn't the best idea. I put a plastic mesh cover on the front of the sponge cartridge, and when I slipped it down, it kept my shrimp from getting back there. I learned the hard way, they can, will and do get back there and die.

That's all I've got for now! I hope people like the idea of the thread!

I haven't really seen a reason or need to modify mine yet. The filter seems to be just right (flow wise) for the tank, and it has a huge amount of media compared to filters with similar flow rates. I also see no point in replacing a built in hidden filter compartment with a HOB filter. I also haven't had much of an issue with shrimp getting into the filter compartment, but the easiest way to fix the issue is by lowering the water level so that it is barely above the overflow strainer. That would likely reduce the flow of the filter, so it might be a good idea to put stainless steel mesh or something behind the strainer.
maxwellag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #20
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
I haven't really seen a reason or need to modify mine yet. The filter seems to be just right (flow wise) for the tank, and it has a huge amount of media compared to filters with similar flow rates. I also see no point in replacing a built in hidden filter compartment with a HOB filter. I also haven't had much of an issue with shrimp getting into the filter compartment, but the easiest way to fix the issue is by lowering the water level so that it is barely above the overflow strainer. That would likely reduce the flow of the filter, so it might be a good idea to put stainless steel mesh or something behind the strainer.
That filter compartment isn't the issue. It is the small one towards the bottom. Yes, the best idea is to block it With mesh or plastic.

The issue with the filter in general is it is a closed unit. Doesn't remove any mulm. My canister now effectively removes the mulm.

Lots of people enjoy modifying their specs, but I'm glad you enjoy yours the way it is.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:09 AM   #21
difrent7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

What would be the easiest way to plug/cover the bottom intake without emptying the tank? I was planning on cutting some of the black filter foam and using some tweezers to compress it and fit it in there.
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by difrent7 View Post
What would be the easiest way to plug/cover the bottom intake without emptying the tank? I was planning on cutting some of the black filter foam and using some tweezers to compress it and fit it in there.
Great question. I'm also going to a variation of this, myself. I haven't figured out a better solution myself, so.

I'm not exactly sure of the design, but you may be able to just take and flip it upside down.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #23
The Big Buddha
Planted Member

I did a reverse UGF with my spec to reduce current and so far it works very well, the gravel seems alot cleaner now.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...274&highlight=
The Big Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
tekkguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

The only modification that I've made to my Spec V was to cut a hole in the outflow line coming from the pump. That has kept the water level up higher in the pump chamber, so that my heater is properly submerged. This combined with the flow turned all the way down means that I don't have to sponge off the outflow pipe to reduce the flow.

I will also be blocking the small slit at the bottom, because it bothers me that water is bypassing the filter, and I do plan on adding some shrimp.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #25
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
I did a reverse UGF with my spec to reduce current and so far it works very well, the gravel seems alot cleaner now.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...274&highlight=
As I've said before, that's really neat. Glad you posted it here.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #26
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
The only modification that I've made to my Spec V was to cut a hole in the outflow line coming from the pump. That has kept the water level up higher in the pump chamber, so that my heater is properly submerged. This combined with the flow turned all the way down means that I don't have to sponge off the outflow pipe to reduce the flow.

I will also be blocking the small slit at the bottom, because it bothers me that water is bypassing the filter, and I do plan on adding some shrimp.
I've heard about people cutting slits and holes in the line, so nice that you posted it working. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
tekkguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
I've heard about people cutting slits and holes in the line, so nice that you posted it working. Thanks.
Yeah, it actually works really well. I'd say the hole is probably ~1/4" or so. I'm using a 50W Hydor submersible heater in there (AHY00034) that fits perfectly. I could have gone with the 25W since they are exactly the same size, but I went for the 50. It's a bit overkill, but rarely cycles on.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #28
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Gotcha! Well thanks.

I decided to stop keeping a heater as mine is shrimp only, but I love that you can fit them back there.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #29
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I cut slots into the lid of my spec V so I could use a clamp on LED light...used a saw/soldering iron to melt and cut them out.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #30
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Neat. I don't even use my lid on my 2g. Water disappears quick :p