biofilm problems - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

marsilea minuta!!!

m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
Waters
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I re-installed the Tom's Surface skimmer that I had previously installed (and removed due to it being so large and unsightly in a 26g). I modified it by removing the ugly black hose and replacing it with clear tube. Works great....the surface is perfectly clear and has been since installing it. I was also able to hide it with my swords. It makes no noise and works perfectly...couldn't be happier
Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waters View Post
I re-installed the Tom's Surface skimmer that I had previously installed (and removed due to it being so large and unsightly in a 26g). I modified it by removing the ugly black hose and replacing it with clear tube. Works great....the surface is perfectly clear and has been since installing it. I was also able to hide it with my swords. It makes no noise and works perfectly...couldn't be happier
Pictures? :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #34
clau74
Algae Grower

Hi,
A skimmer is very good, but when using pressurized CO2 is not recommended.
I have not completely escaped the biofilm, now use an air stone.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #35
supergreeneye
Algae Grower

will it hurt the fish i have some i just did a water change and and moved my spray bar to the top to move the water and it diddint help i might try the air stone thingif i wont hurt anything ill let it be
supergreeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 AM   #36
iRun
Algae Grower

I'm convinced that substrate plays a role in surface film.

I have 4 planted tanks: 2 with gravel, 2 with black eco-complete. Both tanks with eco-complete have a serious surface film problem. All of my tanks have anubias, java fern, and crypts. One tank that has a surface film problem has a cannister, the other has an overflow type filter (fluval spec tank).

I use a surface skimmer in conjunction with my cannister filter and it takes care of the surface film. I haven't worked out a solution for the 5 gallon spec. I've tried putting a piece of plastic along the overflow slots, creating a waterfall effect into the back filter portion but it doesn't really do anything.
iRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #37
Waters
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
Pictures? :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Here you go.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skimmer1SM.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	78282  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SkimmerSM.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	78290  

Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #38
clau74
Algae Grower

Hi,
The shimmer is connected to external filter. There are other skimmer that connects to the air?
His efficiency is very good?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #39
Waters
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clau74 View Post
Hi,
The shimmer is connected to external filter. There are other skimmer that connects to the air?
His efficiency is very good?
Yes, the skimmer is connected to an external filter. The effiency is outstanding....I have zero film on the surface since installing (several weeks now). I don't believe there are any freshwater surface skimmers that connect to an air pump but I could be wrong. Saltwater protein skimmers operate based on a column of fine air bubbles but they won't work properly in freshwater aquariums.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #40
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

This is what worked for me... but imagine that for a high-tech tank it may cause you to loose co2 from the surface agitation... I could be wrong though, I'm new to planted tanks.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12703

- Matt M.
Mattymo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #41
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

Oh someone beat me to it lol
Mattymo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #42
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Excluding chemical contaminants the biofilm is usually protein based. If the protein levels are high enough a foam can be produced with surface agitation. The other common cause is Eisenbacteria (iron bacteria). A simple test (not full proof) is to put your finger into the film. In the case of protein it will not be repelled by your finger. The bacterial form will be repelled. If you really want to know if the foam is protein based you can do a Biuret test. The solution can be purchased online if your'e seriously curious. lol

The link to phosphates is probably from reef aquarium keeping. The protein skimmers used in saltwater also remove organic phosphates which lead to algae blooms. The organic form of these phosphates are not the same as we use as nutrients.

Last edited by Zorfox; 02-20-2013 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: added phosphate explanation
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #43
nelson23

I have been using the Tom surface skimmer for a couple of months. I have not noticed any difference in my CO2 levels with using the TOM. Still have great CO2 levels and great growth but no surface film. In my experience surface agitation does not change CO2 if it is mild.
nelson23 is offline   Reply With Quote