Scuba Scott's Aquatic Jungle (NEW PICS (and FISH) 01/27)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
waterwookiee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Scuba Scott's Aquatic Jungle (NEW PICS (and FISH) 01/27)

Hello everyone! I'm a new guy to this forum and the world of planted tanks. I used to keep all sorts of reefs back in the 90s (had 8 at one time), and used to set up salt tanks for businesses (and one movie set) however I got out of the hobby when my diving career started. Now that I'm back (having a little one is a great reason to "give a science lesson", I've decided to steer clear of salt (for environmental reasons) and give plants a shot.

Budget wasn't huge (little one), however I was able to convert a old AGA 20H into a nice little tank. Albeit not as impressive as some of the others on this forum, however I'm happy with it thus far so I figured I'd share.

Equipment, 20H, Aquaclear 50 HOB, DIY CO2, Flourite/gravel mix (for cool look), 3 x 23 watt 5000k CFLs from Lowes, and one chunk of Mopani wood.

Here is what I started with, along with a closeup of the gravel. I tried Floramax but it spiked my dKH and PH badly, so it's waiting for another purpose and the Flourite mix went in. Frankly, I feel like it worked out because I much prefer the look of the mix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4210.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	70633

Name:	IMG_4211.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	70641

Name:	IMG_4212.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	70649

It was time for some plants and a couple of fish to cycle the tank with, so I headed out to my LFS and saw what they had. I picked up 4 glowlight tetras (love those little guys), some Dwarf Hair Grass, some watersprite (I think?) and a couple freebee (because they're in bad shape) pigmy chain swords (again I think?) (anyone feel free to straighten me out on the plant species)

Name:	IMG_4219.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	70657

As you can see, I ended up putting the light on a couple strips of wood, so give it some air space for cooling. Also, the Mopani wood went in after being boiled 11 times (no orange water!). Most importantly I started up my DIY CO2 (this is where the "science" excuse comes in). As a makeshift reactor, I just stuck the tubing into the intake of my Aquaclear and have had great results. In fact, I picked up a little Elite submersible power filter as a "improved" reactor but found it caused too many distracting bubbles, so I updated the HOB method by inserting the bubble line into the side of the intake tube. With this method I find I have consistent 25-30ppm (based on PH and dKH) day and night; far better than what I got with all those bubbles. And since the intake interface is only 2" below the surface, I have no DIY back pressure (or lack thereof) issues at all.

Name:	IMG_4301.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	70665

I then did the unthinkable and bought some more plants at Petco (I know, I know) The sad thing is I'm not really sure what they are (corals I know, plants, I am still clueless). I do know that they arrived 3 days prior, and seem to be doing EXTREMELY well. I think I've got bacopa, hygrow of some sort and a couple of swords. (positive IDs would be helpful)

Name:	IMG_4291.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	70673

Name:	IMG_4280.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	70681
I have no clue what this is (below), but I dig it!

Name:	IMG_4286.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	70689

I use two 5 hour photoperiods per day, with an airstone running in the dark periods. I'm dosing Flourish Comprehensive, and just put in root tabs. I seem to have complete consistency (for now) with CO2, and my plants are pearling and growing at an alarming rate. I'm actually shocked how fast they are growing. The sprite has grown 4 inches in 2 days and one of my swords has a new 5 inch leaf in a day and a half!!!!!

Name:	IMG_4303.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	70697

Name:	IMG_4305.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	70705

Name:	IMG_4309.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	70713

Thanks for reading! As things progress, I'll keep this updated as well as continue to pick everyone's brains for tips and hopefully share some successes.

Last edited by waterwookiee; 01-28-2013 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: Updated title
waterwookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Very good looking tank.

The right most rosete plant is an Amazon sword. The one next to it looks to be an Anubias. If you have the rhizome in the gravel pull it out and place it on top of the gravel. It will most likely rot if left in the gravel.

The tall one is watersprite and the others around it are Bacopa. Not sure what the other on is, but it looks pretty and I hope it is not a terrestrial plant. Love the flowers on it.

IME Petco can get some decent plants if you know what to look for.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Pretty sweet looking tank. I like it.
Blackheart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
waterwookiee
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback. I do have the rhizome above the gravel. Only the roots are buried. I figured that if it had chlorophyll (it's green), it probably should be exposed to light. I don't know of many plants that waste chlorophyll underground, so I figured should leave it exposed.

The flowering plant is a mystery, but it was $2.59, so if it doesn't make it, it's not a tragedy.

Thanks for the IDs! It's a learning process for sure! Petco didn't have tags on all but some of the stock (ironically, the tagged ones I already knew)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
skywhitney
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

From what I can see, the flowering plant kind of looks like a bunch of emersed growth of Rotala Rotundifolia similar to what I got a while back. I could quite possibly be 100% wrong though

Fluval Pimp #41
skywhitney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
waterwookiee
Algae Grower

Thanks Skywhitney. It looks similar to me. What's that in the bottom right of your picture? I like it!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
skywhitney
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwookiee View Post
Thanks Skywhitney. It looks similar to me. What's that in the bottom right of your picture? I like it!
Didipilis Diandra. It's a cool plant, with regular trimmings mine got super bushy.
Fluval Pimp #41
Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
waterwookiee
Algae Grower

It looks really great bushy like that. I'd like to get some glosso (if I can find it) for the big "beach" off to the left, but I've heard it takes over. Ideally the front will fill in with hair grass and the beach to the left will be covered with glosso. Or perhaps just more DHG. I'd like no substrate exposed when it's done, keeping things trimmed to create an open water area in front and to the left.

The local selection is pretty bad (and EXPENSIVE). I've seen some online retailers with seemingly good stock and great prices, but the shipping is murder. Actually shipping in weather like this would be murder. Any tips on where to score some DHG or glosso on the cheap?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

The swords plants with OVER take your tank in no time. I really recommend taking them out before they get too establish and grow gigantic.

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
waterwookiee
Algae Grower

Do amazon swords spread that quickly? Or are you talking about the chain swords? If it's the latter, I actually dig the idea, as long as I can keep them from killing other plants.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

for the diy co2 i found that using the hagen elite mini underwater filter was awsome and it worked well in a 10 so sure if it was put mid way up the side of the tank it would reach across the width and help with the co2 and wouldnt lose any like when is flows into the tank from the hob. tank looks really good so far keep up the work

this is what i used found it at petco
http://www.entirelypets.com/elitemin...FY1DMgodRysAvQ
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
skywhitney
Algae Grower

swords can get huge but in my experience they don't create new plants quickly if at all. The Amazon sword I had reached about 24" so yeah they can take over due to shear size but if you keep them trimmed you're golden.
Fluval Pimp #41
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #13
waterwookiee
Algae Grower

How does one trim an amazon sword? Cut leaves partially or just remove the longest leaves leaving the shorter/younger ones? Seems like the latter would be more attractive.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #14
skywhitney
Algae Grower

You got it. Just trim the leaves as close to the crown as possible.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Fluval Pimp #41
Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #15
waterwookiee
Algae Grower

Default WE HAVE ROOTS!!!!! (with pics)

Ok, I know I'm a dork. I can admit that and have actually learned to embrace it. So here goes..........

I HAVE ROOTS!
I think I've gotten to the "ROOT" of the problem!
Is that reggae,..... no man it's the "ROOTS"!
I've been "ROOTing" around here and have found lots of good info!
"ROOTin" tootin!
Might have myself a "ROOT" beer!

My dwarf hair grass has started to root and send up new shoots. I'm beside myself with giddiness! Success!!! (so when do I have to mow?)

Name:	DPP_10.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	71922

Here's the mystery plant. Any other votes?

Name:	DPP_14.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	71930

Tons of pearling going on!

Name:	DPP_12.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	71938

Is this hygrow in the middle of the frame?

Name:	DPP_18.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	71946

The Amazon Sword is growing like wildfire!

Name:	DPP_15.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	71954

Here's the wide view..

Name:	DPP_21.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	71962

Thanks for tuning in!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.