White Spots on Platy fins??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
RogueGeek
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

White Spots on Platy fins??

I just established a new planted tank and one of my new sunburst wag platys appears to have something wrong with her fins.
There are white spots that look like a small piece of fin is missing. The pectoral fin on the right side looks to be missing about a third of the fin.

It also looks like she might be pregnant as she is considerably fatter than the other platys and resembles pictures and descriptions of pregnant platys I have found.
She doesn't move around very much and stays partly hidden in the plants. When she does swim it looks ok and she eats fine.

I have only had her for a couple of days and the others that were purchased at the same time from the same tank are all ok.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

thanks
Brian

Here is a link to a picture on the spots.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
RogueGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Jaysan

two things that I can think of is either Fin rot or ick.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Your Livebearers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueGeek View Post
I just established a new planted tank and one of my new sunburst wag platys appears to have something wrong with her fins.
There are white spots that look like a small piece of fin is missing. The pectoral fin on the right side looks to be missing about a third of the fin.

It also looks like she might be pregnant as she is considerably fatter than the other platys and resembles pictures and descriptions of pregnant platys I have found.
She doesn't move around very much and stays partly hidden in the plants. When she does swim it looks ok and she eats fine.

I have only had her for a couple of days and the others that were purchased at the same time from the same tank are all ok.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

thanks
Brian

Here is a link to a picture on the spots.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Hello Bri...

Unless you have experience in fish biology, it's difficult to know what, if anything, is wrong with your fish.

My Livebearers do well with a little standard aquarium salt mixed in the replacement water. I dose a little more than a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of my new, treated tap water.

The salt will help calm the fish if it's sick, and a bit of salt in the water helps the fish breath easier. Tank water with a bit of salt in it helps gill function. If a parasite has infected your fish, then they don't tolerate even a trace of salt in the water.

I would start an aggressive water change routine, by removing and replacing half the tank water every week and add the salt dose above. I like to make the new water just a bit warmer than the rest in the tank.

The combination of a lot of pure, treated tap water and a little warmth generally is helpful. I would also feed your fish a bit of minced garlic once a week. Garlic is high in vitamins and is a natural antibiotic.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
RogueGeek
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm going to change out part of their water and will add aquarium salt.
I also upped the temperature a bit to 79F.
If it doesn't show improvement in a day or so I'll go get some antibiotics and treat with that.

-Brian
RogueGeek is offline   Reply With Quote