gallons per hour
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
whiteblaze 27
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

gallons per hour

does gallons per hour on a filter mean if it is higher it will make your tank cleaner and lower it is not as good just wondering cause i have a quietflow 30 right now and i dont like it very much and i am looking to upgrade to a canister filter and a lot of them have lower galons per hou than my quietflow which has 200
whiteblaze 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
hsilive
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

not possitive but a can actualy forces water through media your quitflow just runs water over the media
a can i think would pull more solids out another think ive done is change the order your media sits in the filter also with filters its wise to have one rated for twice the size of your tank !
hsilive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
whiteblaze 27
Planted Member

cause i am thinking about getting the fluval 305
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Gph just relates to how much gallons per hour your filter filtrates. It does not mean that your tank will get cleaner with higher gph, just that the flow will be increased. To maximize filtration you would need biological, mechanical and chemical filtration. Biological could be plants, chemical could be activated carbon and mechanical is the flow (gph) of your filter. Canisters IMO are MUCH more effective at removing debris and nutrients from your water. They do minimize O2 flow so I usually suggest an air stone if your fish start gasping for air.
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

If a cannister filter is providing enough filtration, but not circulation, a powerhead or circulation pump (such as koralia nano) can also supplement circulation.
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Tank Filtration

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteblaze 27 View Post
does gallons per hour on a filter mean if it is higher it will make your tank cleaner and lower it is not as good just wondering cause i have a quietflow 30 right now and i dont like it very much and i am looking to upgrade to a canister filter and a lot of them have lower galons per hou than my quietflow which has 200
Hello white...

Gallons per hour (gph) is the volume of water the filter turns over (filters) in one hour. Your filter should have a minimum gph, 6 times the volume of your tank in gallons. So, if you have a 30 gallon tank, your filter needs a gph of at least 180.

The larger the filter, the more water is filtered per hour. More isn't much better, though. Remember, a filter is only taking in toxic water and returning the same water, that's a little less toxic. Large, frequent water changes are the only way to guarantee stable water conditions for your fish and plants.

B
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
whiteblaze 27
Planted Member

do you guys reccomend any filter cause i was looking at the fluval 305 and some ehiems