lets expierment !
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
hsilive
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

lets expierment !

ok im in north dakota i thought my tanks had cycled but they didnt ! cost me a few fish at least !!!

here is what i did :
rinse tank and parts
assembled
filled with water and rinsed substrate
let run for 40 days adding small amounts of fish flakes day to day
levels of nitrate and nitrite dropped to 0 ppm
ammonia .25 ppm ph was stable at 7.8

i recieved my fish and a few plants and introduced them and all my levels spiked !!

after a few 20% water changes my ph spiked !

turns out the ph was due to a lack of co2 in the water for now on i will be letting the water settle a few hours before addind to the tank

this is what i think happened

due to the very cold temps in my area -20f sometimes i think the bacteria airborne or in my tap water are killed before they get the chance to grow in my tank

i want to test this theory i have a 5g tank i can clean out again and start over with new media i want to find someone in a warmer climate that can do the same
we will both start with water that came from bags of ice and check our progress weekly !
hsilive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Beneficial bacteria are not formed in your tap water or in the air. Cycling a tank can take weeks as the bacteria grow in your filter media. As long as your tank is heated, cold will not slow down BB growth.

You wil know when your tank has cycled when your readings are
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates >20

When you had an ammonia reading without nitrate reading - your tank wasn't cycled. This is why your levels spiked.

If you decide to cycle your tank with fish- keep ammonia around .25 and nitrites around .25 until the tank has cycled.

It took me 6 weeks to cycle my tank with goldfish. I ended up doing daily 50% WC to keep ammonia and nitrites under control.

You might want to re read cycling information so you can successful cycle your tank.

As far as ph. Test the water out of the tap, let a glass of water sit for 24 hours and retest. You might find that ph is changing from this. Remember you can kill fish with a severe ph shift.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Even once the tank is cycled, it's only going to support the amount of bioload that's it used to. So if you were only using a pinch of fish food and the tank had cycled( yours didn't by the way or you would have had a zero ammonia reading), if you add alot of fish at once you will have a mini cycle. You need to add fish slowly if you've used a small bioload to cycle.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
hsilive
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i know was just hard because theres no pet stores close by the fish were mailed to me and this is my first tank in this state !
btw the bb does have to come from the air or water life even bacteria can not spontaniously generate !
i think a factor for me was that all the airborns were dead before they had a chance to enter the water and that the tap water had already been stripped ! after introducing some plants moss and the fish everything has mellowed out and my levels are getting better daily
im doing 10-20% water changes dailey !
hsilive is offline   Reply With Quote