90g tank for angelfish?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question

90g tank for angelfish?

So, a coworker's son is giving me his 90g tank in the near future. I was reading the dimensions of it, and it's quite deep - if I remember correctly it's 48L x 18D x 24T, so I'm thinking about using it as an angelfish tank. I've never had angelfish before, but the depth of this one seems well suited. Any opinions? Would something like that hold 4, yet give enough space (with visual barriers) in case two paired up? I understand they can be aggressive when they form a pair.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I personally do not see why not. I kept 7 Discus in a 75G Tall tank for years. Angels are Cichlids - with all the good and bad that that entails. Once they decide to breed, all bets are off and you might want to have a Plan B if things become too ugly.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

lol - I've been trying to think of which tank could be plan B...one without little tetras...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

It always depends on the particular personalities of the angels, but I believe that a heavily planted 90g should be okay for two pairs of angelfish. It always helps if you get them as juvies and raise them together. They can have great, peaceful personalities if you raise them from when they are young.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I had two breeding pairs in 65 for two spawns each before I could move a pair. Tank was heavily planted, and eggs were always laid high on a tall sword, so the non breeders would stay low and behind plants, without any significant angel on angel violence.
longgonedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Good stuff to know - I was actually thinking of doing a blackwater tank - lots of angled vertical dw, sandy bottom with oak leaves, but not heavily planted. I will either plant more heavily, or perhaps just get 1 or 2 angelfish as "focal" fish with a school of something too big to be treats, like Rummynose or Diamond Tetras
Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #7
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

It'll be perfect for angels. I had six mated pairs in a 75 for about four years. Started with 14 small quarter-sized angels and gave away two once the rest paired up. They all laid eggs about every two weeks. When a pair is guarding eggs, wigglers or the last free-swimming fry that haven't been eaten the rest of the fish are kept out of their territory. If things get too nasty you just pull out the leaf with the eggs and everybody is happy. (be prepared to be bitten though) They'll never be able to raise their fry unless you pull out a pair and give them their own tank. Now that's an amazing thing to watch. I used to give the babies to a local shop most of the time.

One thing that was cool about that tank is that even when nobody had eggs I always knew where in the tank each pair would be. They each had their own area in the tank.

For me it was fine until one morning my favorite black angel was dead for no obvious reason. I didn't get his mate out of the tank and the rest picked on her mercilessly. By the time I put her in another tank it was too late to save her. So that's something to watch for.

If I were you I'd start out with six or eight as long as you've got a mom n pop shop near you. Most will take a healthy angel.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

90g is certainly large enough for more than 4 angels. I had 9 in a 75 (this turned out to be too many after several years) and had spawns without the fighting endangering anyone. With plenty of plants offering places to hide and at least a couple of other targets for a pair to harass nobody should get too hurt. Once I understood this the sparring became fascinating and amusing to me. Cichlids are popular for good reason.

If you have any desire to raise a spawning, the tetras become the main enemy to the fry; they are speedy swimmers with better hunting chances.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
90g is certainly large enough for more than 4 angels. I had 9 in a 75 (this turned out to be too many after several years) and had spawns without the fighting endangering anyone. With plenty of plants offering places to hide and at least a couple of other targets for a pair to harass nobody should get too hurt. Once I understood this the sparring became fascinating and amusing to me. Cichlids are popular for good reason.

If you have any desire to raise a spawning, the tetras become the main enemy to the fry; they are speedy swimmers with better hunting chances.
I agree with you about the tetras. The parents can watch for other angels or a sucker fish but you can watch the tetras pick off the free swimmers one by one. also, the parents stay crazy aggressive as long as they have even one egg or fry left in the tank.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

I wish juvie angelfish had obvious sexual dimorphism. I love the look of angelfish, but have no desire to breed them. If I could have an all male or female tank (like guppy, swordtails, etc) I would. However I think if I had just one, it would be the loneliest looking thing in the around. How does one angelfish do in a community tank, if the other fish are too big to be considered food?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wouldn't do just one. Can't say why but it just seems like it would be miserable. They have so much personality.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Underwater
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I think a 90 gallon tank with 5 angelfish and a large school of congo tetras, and then your choice of live-bearer for food for the angels to hunt would be nice; maybe another smaller tetra like rummynose for another school. For plant stock I'd do a few large pieces of driftwood, tall clumps of vallisneria (keep it potted to prevent spreading, or plant loose in substrate to grow all over), amazon swords, and then some moss or other short foreground plant would look great. Maybe another stem plant to grow up tall as well. I've got 2 angels in my 55 gallon and they would love 24" of height to play up and down in without worrying about their fins.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #13
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Funny you would say Congo tetras - they, and Diamond tetras, are on my list of stock to buy when some future tanks are up & ready for livestock. Psychic? lol
Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Underwater
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Funny you would say Congo tetras - they, and Diamond tetras, are on my list of stock to buy when some future tanks are up & ready for livestock. Psychic? lol
Nice! I thought Congo's with your tank size. They are my favorite tetra, but I won't get any until I can give them a longer tank than a 55 gallon. They're very bright and have good motion.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote