DIY Aquarium Touchscreen Controller - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #106
bigd603
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks for answering all my questions guys. Did any of you order from iteadstudio? If so how long did it take to arrive? I'm assuming it will be a while since its coming from China.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
bigd603 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #107
bigd603
Planted Member

Hey Mike, did you have any problems with the Sainsmart touchscreen and shield? I saw some complaints floating around the web saying they often have errors and required a lot of reprogramming to get it up and running.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #108
crowndroyal
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

After viewing this thread and project my eyes popped and I have wanted to look into something like this myself.

I have a few questions and maybe some solutions to better organize this thread a we bit. ( so rather a request )

1) How big is this touch screen ? (in inches)
2) would it be possible for you to post all the things you bought in the first post and their cost
3) could you also post in your first post the code you used in a spoiler for each portion
eg

LED CODE
Spoiler
blah blah blah blah this is my code blah blah blah

Co2 CODE
Spoiler
blah blah blah blah this is my code blah blah blah

4) could you maybe share your resources on where you are learning to code all this from
eg forums you have visited etc that would help anyone attempting this
5) Have you figure out what the code or script it uses yet ? so others may look for other screens etc may work with this protect as well.
6) a list of all the tools needed etc

I just found that reading through all posts ended up getting a little confusing and it would save you time in having to maybe help everyone else along the way through pm while your trying to figure it out yourself.

just a suggestion Mike and thanks for this lovely DIY thinking of doing this myself but wanting a bit bigger of a screen as this looks a tad small to me in pictures. ( although they are deceiving sometimes )

P.S. has anyone tried using this and would this work for adding other stuff ? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Automatic-Dig...#ht_4194wt_950

also wondering if anyone has made their own temp monitor or controller I was looking at something like this http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...ermometer.html but also wanting something that can monitor or control my PH as well in one unit, for cheap.

Last edited by crowndroyal; 01-21-2013 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: added a link to a controller and other stuff
crowndroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #109
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

I wouldn't recommend this project for beginners. It's not a plug and play, copy and paste project. There are lots of compatibility issues and bugs that only advanced users can handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #110
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I wouldn't recommend this project for beginners. It's not a plug and play, copy and paste project. There are lots of compatibility issues and bugs that only advanced users can handle.
I completely disagree. we're not talking banking application with millions of users and dollars at stake.

Don't sway someone away from trying something that is challenging. Great insight can come from attempting something you've never done or only slightly dabbled in.

If someone can wrap their head around the code examples and "see" what is going on within those, then give this a shot.

If someone is willing to email me code as a starting point, i'd like to set up a collaborative space so people could actively work on the code "together" and keep it under version control. A project like this needs something a bit more robust than a forum post.

I'd love to give more people a chance at using this code on their own terms as well, instead of being told "you don't know enough to get it so don't try"
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #111
bigd603
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I completely disagree. we're not talking banking application with millions of users and dollars at stake.

Don't sway someone away from trying something that is challenging. Great insight can come from attempting something you've never done or only slightly dabbled in.

If someone can wrap their head around the code examples and "see" what is going on within those, then give this a shot.

If someone is willing to email me code as a starting point, i'd like to set up a collaborative space so people could actively work on the code "together" and keep it under version control. A project like this needs something a bit more robust than a forum post.

I'd love to give more people a chance at using this code on their own terms as well, instead of being told "you don't know enough to get it so don't try"
+1

Agreed. The OP himself said he didnt know any programming when he first started this project and was learning it as he went. The best way to learn something challenging is by finding something that interests you and then jump in to figure out how it works.

I would love to
Old 01-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #112
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Where there's a will there's a way. I still wouldn't recommend it for beginners. I went through the code and the project.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #113
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

The problem with that opinion is that it isn't helpful to the progress of this controller, or to those working on it, or to those who want to be involved.

That being said, I'm already working on a place where the code can exist for all to download it and all to contribute to it. I'd like to get a list of part numbers that go into the building of the unit as a whole.

ultimately, I'd like to provide a place for all of these sorts of aquatic controllers people are setting up.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #114
crowndroyal
Algae Grower

well to be honest I am not exactly a beginer I am a network admin and I have coded my own games and server and programs for mmo, games so I know lots of different coding.

I was just trying to get a more clear step by step "quide" for prices and parts etc.

I was actually think about using a touch screen for a laptop or ipad or something. http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/...HP+TX2500%5D+/

Quote:
The problem with that opinion is that it isn't helpful to the progress of this controller, or to those working on it, or to those who want to be involved.

That being said, I'm already working on a place where the code can exist for all to download it and all to contribute to it. I'd like to get a list of part numbers that go into the building of the unit as a whole.

ultimately, I'd like to provide a place for all of these sorts of aquatic controllers people are setting up.
Thats what I was hopping to have set up in the first post so it is all in one place and here on the forums, I know I am new and all to the forums but after seeing this project I had to join. I am kinda offended that I was called a beginer with out that poster knowing anything about my background knowledge in computers/programming.

I could optimally help this project a great deal if I knew all the info and it was neatly organized in the first post.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #115
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

i think they were talking about the OP

i purchased a domain that I intend to use to make this stuff a bit more friendly to grasp. I'll be using django for some quick setup and am hoping to get a github account setup so the progress can be visualized and tasks be created.

I don't have the funds to purchase the hardware (basement remodel underway) but intend on using this sort of stuff to control the 125g i have planned. for the time being my contribution will have to be in the way of a dedicated place for knowledge.

i'm a hardware novice myself, so it is beneficial for me to personally see how things progress.

If anyone wants to be involved more, please shoot me a PM. I hope to have the basics set up this evening
Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #116
crowndroyal
Algae Grower

thanks Scape it would be awesome to have a place where we can all go and try and test different things.

I sure hope the OP can give us more detail as to the dimensions of the screen the cost the parts envolved the coding language etc as requested.

I originally wanted a screen about as big as a ipad to be mounted in my stand, and have it control everything.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #117
benjaf
Algae Grower

Quote:
This sounds like an excellent idea, I'd gladly contribute my project to a resource like that. The forum format is far from ideal for any but the simplest of projects.
Since most code projects here are 'free for all' it makes sense to make source available for editing as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #118
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

as a web developer, my goal for a project using arduino will be a web based front end. that'd make it available to any mobile or home browser. I think it'd be great to log in via my galaxy s3, see what the probes are reading and make adjustments if i need to. but that is dooown the line for me.

I've purchased the domain opensourceaquatics.com, there isnt much there and won't be for a number of hours (i'm at work )

The goal is to provide the files via github, and ultimately host any conversation/discussion on people's various controllers on the site.

Github will allow the ability for people to fork the project to work on their own and provide push requests to merge those changes to the code base. It'll allow individuals to be set up as the main contributors, so those having already started their project would be given sole ownership with the ability to add others. It'll also allow tasks to be set up... so instead of splitting your attention all over the damned place, people can take on specific components and really focus on making one thing work.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some hardware in the next couple of months and start contributing code myself, and will be focusing solely on a web enabled system.

My website goal for the evening will be to figure out some site requirements and get a list of components that the site needs to start operating in the capacity i'm thinking it should.

considering I want this to be a site to assist the community, please make suggestions. If you have code, you can email me at ken@bugeyedllc.com and I can use it to test setting it up.

I'd kind of like the site to turn into an open database of DIY aquatics, from co2 reactors, to this awesome arduino stuff.

If anyone reads this who developed the code themselves, or started these arduino threads, please get in touch as I'd like to make sure you're given credit for the code hosted.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #119
bigd603
Planted Member

Quote:

Hey Scapegoat, heres a list of the requisite components, plus some extras (most of this info is gleaned from the Jarduino user's manual).

First off, the Jarduino sketch is available here:
http://code.google.com/p/jarduino-aquarium-controller/

Parts:
The Arduino Mega 2650, retails for $65, but can be found cheaper. Beware of knock offs, though, they may be glitchy.

The ITDB02 Mega Shield Kit V1.1
$5.50 in kit form, you will need to solder everything together
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/prototy...120717001.html

This is what it will look like assembled:

There is another Version 2 of the shield, but you will need to order the DS1307 RTC Module. E Bay sells them for like $2-5, and you will need to solder it onto the shield. This is the one I got:

The ITDB02 3.2" TFT LCD Display
$25.50
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/display...120419005.html
They have other versions for $30-33 but I cant determine the difference.

DS18B20 Temperature sensor:
$2-4 depending on the vendor, check E Bay

Others offer a waterproof temperature probe
$8-11

Then there are some fun extras that we can add into the system:

pH Sensor
$95 in a kit from Sparkfun:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10972?
Or you can piece meal it together. Some probes on E Bay are like $20-30, and the little pH stamp is $28 from Atlas Scientific (http://atlas-scientific.com/product_...bedded/ph.html)

Dissolved Oxygen sensor:
$192.95
http://atlas-scientific.com/product_...ts/do-kit.html
This one is definitely pricey, but would be really cool for those that really want to max out the system

Last edited by bigd603; 01-21-2013 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Added LCD Display size
Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #120
crowndroyal
Algae Grower

Thanks BigD thats awesome whats the dimensions of this touch screen ? still wondering how big it is.

I am off to work myself so chat later.