Hypes First Iwagumi Inspired 12 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Rehype
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hypes First Iwagumi Inspired 12 gallon

Ive been lurking around the forums for a while and always wanted to start a planted tank but could never find the time. Ive actually owned aquariums most of life but Ive been keeping reef tanks exclusively over the last six years but lost my last build to hurricane sandy. So i figured now was as a good of a time as any to try my first planted tank. This is an awesome community and im glad ill be able to learn from you guys...Ive always been inspired by the vision and creativity in your builds.

Just a few specs on the system
Tank:22X16X8 made by pico aquariums
Lighting:Archaea 36 Compact but just switched to a 70 watt FNI Halide
Filtration:Eheim 2213
Heater:Hydor 200 watt in line heater

Seiryu Stone and ADA Amazonia soil
Do Aqua CO2 kit

Heres some pics of the initial hardscape.

Some of the glassware

Ive planted HC and glosso so far. I plan to leave the tanks emersed for a few more weeks before flooding.

Last edited by Rehype; 02-23-2013 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: update
Rehype is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hey Rehype! Welcome to TPT!

Your Nano Reef was great, one of the best.

Looking like a great start to planted!
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Rehype
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Hey Rehype! Welcome to TPT!

Your Nano Reef was great, one of the best.

Looking like a great start to planted!
Thanks alot for the welcome green flash really appreciate it
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
zico_aqua
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

the rock position in very nice being your first step/attempt to planted aquarium. the substrate lining is nicely done. One small critique from my end about the scape, the sandy river that goes diagonally towards the right back looks pretty un-natural, I would suggest either get rid of it all togather or just make it thicker with meandering pattern and smaller rocks supporting the soil in it's back that'll give it a good flow (visual per-say). But personally i'd keep the sand out as this is you first scape, man it's a PITA to maintain sand color in the long run and stop it from mixing with the soil. you also need a few filler smaller rocks (just a tad few) to complete the flow you created. again very best of luck to the project! will keep a tab on this one. I love the rock textures!!

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
zico_aqua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Rehype
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico_aqua View Post
the rock position in very nice being your first step/attempt to planted aquarium. the substrate lining is nicely done. One small critique from my end about the scape, the sandy river that goes diagonally towards the right back looks pretty un-natural, I would suggest either get rid of it all togather or just make it thicker with meandering pattern and smaller rocks supporting the soil in it's back that'll give it a good flow (visual per-say). But personally i'd keep the sand out as this is you first scape, man it's a PITA to maintain sand color in the long run and stop it from mixing with the soil. you also need a few filler smaller rocks (just a tad few) to complete the flow you created. again very best of luck to the project! will keep a tab on this one. I love the rock textures!!
Thanks alot for the feedback abrahdip. I appreciate the critiques and suggestions. Im going to add some smaller rocks along the edges of the soil to create a more natural transition to river bed.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
gorally
Algae Grower

Great start Hype. Look forward to see more of you latest post. I will start mine once the nano reef is built
gorally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Rehype
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorally View Post
Great start Hype. Look forward to see more of you latest post. I will start mine once the nano reef is built
Thanks alot gorally look forward to seeing your upcoming builds
Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
gorally
Algae Grower

Hype, do you know how long one of these CO2 cart will last for the 12G tank? I am thinking if I need a cylinder or just get the cart instead.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
flowerfishs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (44/98%)

That's looks good!
flowerfishs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
gorally
Algae Grower

Rehype, are you setting up an Iwagumi style?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #11
Rehype
Algae Grower

Quote:
Hype, do you know how long one of these CO2 cart will last for the 12G tank? I am thinking if I need a cylinder or just get the cart instead.
Its going to depend on the type of plants you keep but ive heard they can last for about 2 weeks. The cylinder is the better choice in the long run since its less expensive and will last longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfishs View Post
That's looks good!
Thanks alot!

Quote:
Rehype, are you setting up an Iwagumi style?
The current scape is iwagumi inspired.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #12
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I really like what you have so far, it looks really "dynamic" and vast. Cool glassware as well.

I don't know if you are open to critique but I want to throw out a suggestion. The right side looks really good from the top but the large "clump" of substrate in front makes the stone look small from the front. I also think that if you angle the highest stone a touch right, or the left stone up, just a touch, it may look better (maybe not)

I think it's beautiful as is and I don't mean to be rude on my suggestion.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
Rehype
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I really like what you have so far, it looks really "dynamic" and vast. Cool glassware as well.

I don't know if you are open to critique but I want to throw out a suggestion. The right side looks really good from the top but the large "clump" of substrate in front makes the stone look small from the front. I also think that if you angle the highest stone a touch right, or the left stone up, just a touch, it may look better (maybe not)

I think it's beautiful as is and I don't mean to be rude on my suggestion.
Thanks alot talon I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I did lower the clump a bit so that slope didn't look so exaggerated.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Jsquared
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I don't feel the rock placement is "natural" but I like it haha. I have a feeling this tank is gonna look nice once it gets going. cheers
Jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #15
ange062
Algae Grower

Lookin sick man, great stab at a first attempt so far and it looks like you are going all in, as I would expect.

Is that the same tank from your RC TOTM win? Looks similar, but with lilypipes and CO2 in place of the MP10's Still crushed about the loss of those magnificent SPS pieces...

Look forward to progress, and really digging the iwagumi scape. I think that's ideal for the shallow cube, a little hair grass, maybe some dwarf baby tears / glossostigma, and your are set! Can't forget the cardinal tetras and high-grade crystal shrimp either!

Edit: BTW, forgot to mention that you need to check out Cal Aqua Labs. Not hating on ADA, I know their US importer based here in Houston and their stuff is great (and I use a bunch of it), but Cal Aqua has an inline CO2 diffuser that will work great in your space limited nano and not take up valuable real estate.
ange062 is online now   Reply With Quote