90 g stocking. angels? or no?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
jamntoast
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

90 g stocking. angels? or no?

hi so i am in the process of planning a new tank i just bought. as far as stocking my plan so far is 4 keyholes i have in a tank that i will be tearing down, a bolivian ram pair that i will be bringing over from another tank, some (maybe 6) cory's of some sort and a shoal of rummynose tetras. the tank is 48x18x24 i think planted with swords, crypts and anubias.

my problem is i have 4 angel fish that i was planning on adding but now i'm not sure. 2 of the angel fish have paired off (i'm not planning on raising any spawn either) and are now one of them is beating up the other 2. i've considered just getting rid of the two unpaired angels and moving the pair into the 90 once it's set up, but i dont want that aggression towards the keyholes. should i risk it and see what happens or should i get rid of the pair and put the remaining two in? will it be overstocked with any of the angels? should i scrap putting the angels in all together? what does everyone think?

i'm definately doing the keyholes and the bolivians because i'm tearing down a couple tanks and need to do some rearranging and they will work best together. so pls help me out with your thoughts on what i should do
jamntoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
jamntoast
Planted Member

i guess my root questions are
A) is it a bad idea to mix my paired angels with keyholes or is it typical for angels to show a lot agression against other cichlids? so far its just against other angels

and B) would it be too crowded if i put a pair in with 4 keyholes a pair of bolivian rams, a few corys and maybe 20 or so rummy nose tetra
Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
LB79
Wannabe Guru

No, you should be fine in both cases.

A 90 is plenty big enough for a pair of angels, four other cichlids, and some dithers. Having a good bit of cover in the tank (wood, rocks, plants) would help a lot, too.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
No, you should be fine in both cases.

A 90 is plenty big enough for a pair of angels, four other cichlids, and some dithers. Having a good bit of cover in the tank (wood, rocks, plants) would help a lot, too.
I agree. I've got a large pair in my 75g with a bunch of black neons, Oto's, and Serpae tetras and no one bothers anyone. I'm going to add some Synodontis cats next week
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
jamntoast
Planted Member

Cool, I actually decided to just keep the one pair. I originally only wanted silver colour types and it just so happens the pair are both silvers and the other two are koi-ish. So it will work out I think.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
gt turbo
Planted Member

You should be fine. I would add some decor though that will break up sight lines so your cichlids can have some small defined territories. That'll keep every one happy. I think your stocking is fine.

Our tanks are twins, exact same dimensions, right now it's stocked with 6 GBRs , 3 normal and 3 gold. I plan to add cories which i already have, some type of schooling tetra and Discus, maybe a few otos for algae control.
gt turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
jamntoast
Planted Member

I plan to have a lot of stuff in the tank to break it up, I've started a journal, it's the second link in my signature.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
funkman262
Algae Grower

Maybe I just had bad luck, but I wouldn't do angels in my tank again. I bought five for my 90g tank, two paired off and started breeding, then killed the other three. They didn't seem to bother any of the other species of fish though. And my tank was HEAVILY planted so I doubt it's because there wasn't enough hiding places.
funkman262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
jamntoast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
Maybe I just had bad luck, but I wouldn't do angels in my tank again. I bought five for my 90g tank, two paired off and started breeding, then killed the other three. They didn't seem to bother any of the other species of fish though. And my tank was HEAVILY planted so I doubt it's because there wasn't enough hiding places.
That's what I was worried about, I've heard stories like that. They are already pretty aggressive against the others. So im seperating the pair from the other 2. I wasn't sure if the aggression would carry over to the keyholes in a serious way. I'm pretty satisfied it will be okay, but you know how it goes. Won't know for sure until they are all in. And just over the last couple days my Bolivian rams have been getting super territorial even chasing my angels. I'm not crazy worried about that either. I just hope the keyholes stay out of their way, my rams are pretty much full grown but the keyholes are only about an inch right now.