LFS in Michigan - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #46
Tetranerd
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Fish Doctors in Adrian isn't bad. They have tropicals (salt & freshwater), a few reptiles & inverts. Daughter goes there while she's @ school.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
RAOK Club #83
My 90 Gallon tank http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...414&highlight=
Tetranerd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #47
Rawkout
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

@MJWaan

I know right? I had to give in and buy tube plants from petsmart because the lack of supply around here. Gonna try out fosters and smiths plant ordering for some DHG this week.

I keep dropping hints at moby dicks to up their plant game....maybe they'll listen
Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #48
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkout View Post
@MJWaan

I know right? I had to give in and buy tube plants from petsmart because the lack of supply around here. Gonna try out fosters and smiths plant ordering for some DHG this week.

I keep dropping hints at moby dicks to up their plant game....maybe they'll listen
I could be wrong but I think the stores look at plants as not being a big deal compared to the fish.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #49
AlexDrops
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkout View Post
@MJWaan

I bought plants from them before and they seem nice and healthy!
Alsoshop.plantedaquariumscentral has good stuff.
AlexDrops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #50
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Try meijer, Half their plants aren't even labeled so you can say that they're the cheapest ones there.

Decent selection, especially compared to this fish there.

Oceans Odyssey pet store is a decent shop in Saginaw, some nice things, larger than average floorspace.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #51
BulletToothBoris
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Any stores south of Detroit? I'm tired of going all the way to the Taylor PetSmart.
The Fraternity of Dirt #155
BulletToothBoris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #52
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
Try meijer, Half their plants aren't even labeled so you can say that they're the cheapest ones there.
That's where I got almost every plant in my tank.... considering most of the LFS around here has like no plant selection.

Meijer's tanks though are EXTREMELY dirty, and not cared for. Their like littered with dead fish bodies.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #53
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
That's where I got almost every plant in my tank.... considering most of the LFS around here has like no plant selection.

Meijer's tanks though are EXTREMELY dirty, and not cared for. Their like littered with dead fish bodies.
That's why I stay away.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #54
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Meijer tanks

They really are dirty in some locations, others have tanks that are taken decent care of.

The store here in Birch Run, has a weekly change up, decent selection and about 8 tanks that just seem cleaner than the other 12.

Less disease there than walmart, and other petsmart petco type store.

Honestly I've heard of people just dipping in hydrogen peroxide, or really weak vinegar or bleach even. On plants.

I believe that Quarantine is a very good option, having a small tank setup just to put things into to allow any disease or parasites to die off before putting into any tanks with any other inhabitants.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #55
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
They really are dirty in some locations, others have tanks that are taken decent care of.

The store here in Birch Run, has a weekly change up, decent selection and about 8 tanks that just seem cleaner than the other 12.

Less disease there than walmart, and other petsmart petco type store.

Honestly I've heard of people just dipping in hydrogen peroxide, or really weak vinegar or bleach even. On plants.

I believe that Quarantine is a very good option, having a small tank setup just to put things into to allow any disease or parasites to die off before putting into any tanks with any other inhabitants.

A quarantine tank is a great idea. I just end up turn a tank like that into a different purpose and than I end up losing the quarantine tank.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #56
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
That's why I stay away.
Well, for me, it's either that or pay an arm and a leg and buy plants online. Ill stick with the cheaper of the 2. lol

A lot of the times there's more there also then it seems what they charge you. I've bought a bunch of crypts from there before, even though they were 5.50 a piece, when you take it out of the pot, a lot of the times you can easily break up the crypt into 5, 6 other plants. so, you can't beat that in a way.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #57
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Friend

Had a friend buy 10 bucks worth of plants there and he's got a nice covering inside his 60 Gallon. Some water wisteria, Dwarf hairgrass, I believe chainsword and maybe bacopa. He's not doing fertilizer or anything and it's doing alright since he Gave away his crayfish and "lobster".

Yukon, as for losing your quarantine tank, it should be broken down after every thing is out of it. Most people use spare 10G tanks keep them bare bottomed and cycle them with filter cartridges or mulm from used filters.
When you clear the quarantine, throw away the filter material, and sterilize everything equipment wise, and the tank.

Trust me having a quarantine tank is better than having an entire tank die off because the wrong things got in without being checked over.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #58
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Had a friend buy 10 bucks worth of plants there and he's got a nice covering inside his 60 Gallon. Some water wisteria, Dwarf hairgrass, I believe chainsword and maybe bacopa. He's not doing fertilizer or anything and it's doing alright since he Gave away his crayfish and "lobster".

Yukon, as for losing your quarantine tank, it should be broken down after every thing is out of it. Most people use spare 10G tanks keep them bare bottomed and cycle them with filter cartridges or mulm from used filters.
When you clear the quarantine, throw away the filter material, and sterilize everything equipment wise, and the tank.

Trust me having a quarantine tank is better than having an entire tank die off because the wrong things got in without being checked over.
Yes, I'll definitely agree with your last part.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #59
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Lfs

Has anyone here considered becoming a plant seller?

Like buying decent stock in store/online and well growing it out for resale?
Not entirely sure of the limits/legalities involved here, but it seems as if it could be lucrative for someone who already has the equipment necessary for it.

Any new info on LFS's in the area? any new, closed down, under renovation?

OP should do a list stickied to the first page of this.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #60
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Added.

So I went to Ocean odyssey pet store today.

I did a review on them in the past, on them, and gave them a decent score with room to improve, now I'd have to be negative to them entirely.

The two Girls who were working had no information what so ever, they couldn't even tell me if the duckweed was for sale.

They told another customer that he could put 1 1/2" tiger barbs in with A locally caught Temperate climate Channel catfish!

And they had what appeared to be BBA in a large amount of their tanks.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.