Larger Feet/Braces available for Finnex Ray2 36"?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Zolek
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Larger Feet/Braces available for Finnex Ray2 36"?

I have a Finnex Ray 2 36" on a 40 breeder tank and the included feet just barely don't fit the rim. Are there wider feet available?

pic here if it helps:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7...1202342041.jpg

As you can see the inner foot just barely doesn't clear the rim edge. I can push it down but it bows out badly and wants to pop off. Right now the fixture is just resting like you see there. Not a big deal, just curious.
Zolek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

The old style legs were even narrower and did not have the plastic screws. I have mine like that on a rimless setup and has not fallen in yet. May not be the answer you want, but you should be fine.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
Colorado
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just got my 30" Ray II and I have the same issue--the maximum opening of the legs doesn't really fit the ~5/8" rim of my 56 gallon. It is ok, but the clamp seems to be opening too far and you can't really use the screws to secure it--it just pops out. I'm kind of disappointed the legs don't open wider--and I'm worried they're going to break.

That said, the light looks good and is a big step-up from the single fluorescent light that came with the tank. We'll see how the plants like it over time.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
slowgrower
Algae Grower

PTrader: (22/100%)

I have the same issue with the FugeRay. The legs are clearly designed for a rimless aquarium. I contacted Aqua Vibrant about returning the item and discovered that if I want to return the light I would be responsible for not only the shipping costs to return the item, but also the original shipping costs even though my purchase qualified for free shipping. How this constitutes free shipping is beyond me.

Here is the response from the company regarding both the leg design and the shipping/return policy:

"The legs are not meant to mount standard aquariums rims as is. The inner portion of the leg is to be removed if fitting on an aquarium such as yours. I apologize if you were thinking otherwise as that is not stated in the description being that those new legs were just recently introduced for those with rimless aquariums. At the beginning of the release, all legs did not have that inner portion to mount all aquariums.

As for shipping, I understand your concern. However, being a small company, the policy exist due to the fact that we simply can not afford to offer our customers the same benefits many online companies can. We do no charge 'silly' restocking fees or any other hidden fee of that sort. If our customer would like to return their product all we ask for the honest shipping cost it cost us to get their order delivered. In all honesty, we could build shipping charges in to product costs to offer free shipping as well as free returns but in my opinion I do not feel that is right to the many whom make a 'returnless' purchase to front the costs of shipping to those who do return."

Long story short, you'd better be satisfied with your products from Aqua Vibrant. If not, its gonna cost you. In my case it comes out to be around 28% of the original cost.

As a side note, these lights are available through Amazon.com and if you're a Prime member shipping and returns are free. Same light, same company. You've been warned.
slowgrower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I was planning on getting a 36" Fugeray for my Petco 40 breeder, but this is the first I've read of the legs not fitting the standard rim and now I'm a bit concerned.

Does it not seem safe/secure enough if it's just resting on the rim?
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Glad I saw this. I'm looking for a new light over my 40 Breeder and I was debating between the Ray2 and the Aquasun T-5 HO. The Ray 2 certainly has a sleeker look, but safety wins over appearance as far as I'm concerned. Can the risk of this falling into the tank be eliminated by using a glass cover? I've heard that the design of the Aquasun legs doesn't allow the use of a glass cover, but I just may go with that one. Can anyone convince me otherwise?
RWaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #7
Miles03
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Re: Larger Feet/Braces available for Finnex Ray2 36"?

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359252703876.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	74466
It fits fine on a 40 breeder, I have them off because I have a glass lid but put them on to show. The light weighs like 2 pounds and if u screw the side screws in it is unlikely to fall off. By the way the tank is the standard petco 40b
Miles03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #8
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles03 View Post
It fits fine on a 40 breeder, I have them off. ecause I have a glass lid but put them on to show. The light weighs like 2 pounds and if u screw the side screws in it is unlikely to fall off. By the way the tank is the standard petco 40b
Thank you so much for sharing! Glad to read that's a petco 40 breeder. is that the 36" fixture, I'm assuming?
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
Miles03
Algae Grower

Yep 36" totally recommend it for the price.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

So the legs are removable right? Because I am getting one, but I have a glass top so there is no rim to really fasten it to.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
Miles03
Algae Grower

Yes they come off all the way. I actually like the look without the legs and on the glass top.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #12
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles03 View Post
Yes they come off all the way. I actually like the look without the legs and on the glass top.
Great, thank you!
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
dastowers
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have purchased two Finnex Ray II's in the last week. One 30 inch and one 48 inch. I have to say the feet/clamps need redesigned. They didn't fit on either tank rim - 20L and 70 gallon bowfront. Need to be designed WIDER so they can clamp firmly over the rim.
But other than that they are very nice lights for the price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.