Angelfish salt bath?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
Sara3502
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Angelfish salt bath?

How should I go about giving my angelfish a salt bath in an extra empty 10 gallon tank? It looks like it has an early case of chilodonella. Please quickly reply. Thanks!!!

Last edited by Sara3502; 01-21-2013 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: Clarifying
Sara3502 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Found this recipe at Simply Discus. Since Discus and Angels are similar in many ways, I would trust this recipe.

Put some tank water in a container. The larger specimen holder like they put fish in when you buy them in a store might work for an Angelfish. A larger bucket is fine, just make sure the water is deep enough for the fish to stay upright.
Add salt at the rate of 2 tablespoons per gallon, and stir until it is all dissolved.
Catch the fish in a large net, and do not remove the fish from the net.
Dip fish and net into the container.
Duration is based on 2 things:
The stronger the salt solution the less time the fish can tolerate it. @ 2 T salt/gal, the fish might be OK up to half an hour. Do not leave the fish.
and
When the fish rolls over immediately remove him and put him back in the original tank.

I have heard of stronger solutions, up to 1/2 cup per gallon. Do not do this level. Fish immediately roll over, leaving no time for the parasite to be killed. (That level might be better for hard water fish, already acclimated to a much higher TDS.)
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Sara3502
Algae Grower

I put him in a 1 gallon glass fish bowl with an air pump and 2 tablespoons and a net ready to scoop him out
Sara3502 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.