Should I be expecting my Downoi to melt?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (97/100%)

Should I be expecting my Downoi to melt?

Hello. I just received about 25 downois on Friday. I do not see them melting yet but is it certain that they will? If they do, is there any way to slow it down?

I have a ton of Co2 going into this tank and I use the EI method of fertilizing. Substrate is 3 month old ADA Amazonia/Africana (deep too about 3 inches). I inserted some osmocote root tabs prior to planting the Downoi.

I can't wait for them to fill in!

hedge_fund is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

i have played around with crypts for a couple years now... i noticed something.

if i moved them from soft water to hard water, they didnt melt, but if i moved them from hard water to soft water, all the leaves melted. i think some of the problems we have with plants melting stems from changes in osmotic pressure that causes the cells in the plants to explode. at the pet store my wife works at, they use RO water with very low total dissolved solids for their plant tank. the owner wont buy crypts because they have always melted as soon as he puts them in his tank.

i, on the other hand, have not had a single plant melt since i came out here to california. the water here is extremely hard with a high KH and PH(and i use tap). back in north carolina, with the soft acidic water, melting was pretty much expected with all plants prone to melting.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by auban View Post
i have played around with crypts for a couple years now... i noticed something.

if i moved them from soft water to hard water, they didnt melt, but if i moved them from hard water to soft water, all the leaves melted. i think some of the problems we have with plants melting stems from changes in osmotic pressure that causes the cells in the plants to explode. at the pet store my wife works at, they use RO water with very low total dissolved solids for their plant tank. the owner wont buy crypts because they have always melted as soon as he puts them in his tank.

i, on the other hand, have not had a single plant melt since i came out here to california. the water here is extremely hard with a high KH and PH(and i use tap). back in north carolina, with the soft acidic water, melting was pretty much expected with all plants prone to melting.
Great answer, thanks.

I think I'll probably experience some melting since my substrate buffers the PH pretty low. I use regular tap water when I do 50% water changes so that might help a bit.....I also dose a decent amount of Equilibrium which hardens the water some.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Mine only melted completely because I had to cut CO2 short a day. The old growth did melt a little, but it did have nice new growth. I'll have to try it again sometime.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Mine only melted completely because I had to cut CO2 short a day. The old growth did melt a little, but it did have nice new growth. I'll have to try it again sometime.
Good to know....I hope mine stay intact. I would hate to have a massive melt with that many plants. I'd probably be scooping up dead leaves for weeks.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I bought some Downoi off the SNS here nearly 2 months ago. I'm only doing DIY CO2 until the rest of my regulator parts show up and I'm dosing 1/2 EI.

Mine have been growing surprisingly well, and I've even propagated 1 off. I've had zero melt on them.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

My rule is that if I believe it won't melt, it won't. If it does, Mr. Amano didn't want it to work.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Did they melt?
jnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #9
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaz View Post
Did they melt?
Some of the bottom leaves are falling off but I guess that's expected since they did sit out in 25 degree weather for a few hours on Friday. I think they will make it since new shoots are starting to come in.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm curious as to what has happened with your downoi? Did they melt and recover? Did any of the critters make it an expensive salad?
binbin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Default Should I be expecting my Downoi to melt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin9 View Post
I'm curious as to what has happened with your downoi? Did they melt and recover? Did any of the critters make it an expensive salad?
They made it just fine. I have them in a moss grow out tank in small pots and they are doing awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #12
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok good, I just planted some a few days ago and the leaves are not melting but the crowns are separating from the base of the stem. I'm wondering if it isnt a snail or amano shrimp that is causing it.
binbin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin9 View Post
ok good, I just planted some a few days ago and the leaves are not melting but the crowns are separating from the base of the stem. I'm wondering if it isnt a snail or amano shrimp that is causing it.
I keep mine in a 15 gallon with 10 amanos and the downoi is doing just great. They are growing very compact bunches with zero algae and nice neon green color.