Carpet in a low tech 20L
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
TonyK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Carpet in a low tech 20L

I am in the planning stage of setting up a 20L and would like to try to get a carpet going. My plan for lighting right now is 2 or 3 13w or 26w 6500k cfl no CO2. Substrate will be MGOPS with a sand cap.
What would you suggest for a plant?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Chyrol
Algae Grower

PTrader: (17/100%)

You might have some luck with microsword or marsilea minuta. I have heard of crypt parva doing the trick as well, although it is a super slow grower.

Your best bet might be to do a moss carpet, with moss tied to stainless steel mesh. I saw a tank journal where they did this not too long ago.

I would avoid plants like hc, glosso or hairgrass. Probably more trouble than they are worth.

People really have mixed results when they try to get a carpet with low tech.
Let us know what happens!
Chyrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

dwarf sag grows like crazy. But there is some speculation about how "dwarf" it is
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I was thinking about doing microsword for
my 29 gallon tank too, until I bought this
taiwan moss. I just recieved it two hours ago
and I think I just might have enough to make a full carpet
lol.
Kinection is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
veryzer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
dwarf sag grows like crazy. But there is some speculation about how "dwarf" it is
+1. I have dwarf sag with medium light and co2, and eventually the plants get to about 8".
veryzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Marsilea minuta should grow fine in that light, although it's not real fast. It grows nice and I like it. Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan will grow much faster and can be trimmed short, although it's less "carpet" than MM. I mixed the two and I'm liking the effect — one lighter green and one darker green.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #7
TonyK
Planted Member

I have dwarf sag in a 2 gallon cookie jar and its doing good but, a little tall for what I was going after.
Chyrol you suggestion of moss tied to a mesh sounds good. My question would be can I bury the mesh under the substrate of leave it above?
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
My dwarf sag stayed under 6 inches until about a month ago, when it exploded. I just looked over and noticed one of the leaves has hit the surface on my 50 gal, so about 15 inches! It's grown in so thick it has become the 'shrimp forest', but unless you stay on top of it it'll grow upwards and onwards.

As for carpets, MM seems to be doing good, although a slow grower. Crypt parvo grows way too slow for anyone with a normal lifespan. Hydrocotyle grows like a weed and can be coaxed into something carpet-like. Microswords are another option, but mine don't seem to grow quickly, and when they do it's just single runners, no carpeting...
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Chyrol
Algae Grower

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
I have dwarf sag in a 2 gallon cookie jar and its doing good but, a little tall for what I was going after.
Chyrol you suggestion of moss tied to a mesh sounds good. My question would be can I bury the mesh under the substrate of leave it above?
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I think that you could probably bury it a little bit but it seems like most people just leave it above the substrate. It looks bad for a while, but then the moss covers all of the mesh and you can't tell it's there any more. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=192519&page=4 You can see an example about halfway down the page from that link.

Best wishes!
Chyrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
TonyK
Planted Member

I picked up the zoo med fixture with 1 6700k bulb and 1 10,000k bulb. I think I will be going with c parva and micro sword or marsilea minuta. I was thinking of setting a DIY
CO2. I am moving in about 3 to 4 months so I will run this DSM till i move. I am hoping to get a good start of growth beforwe I fill with water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.