Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 35
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 AM   #511
watercage
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Here's a pic of mine

GE housing from Home Depot

Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #512
kevindiep83
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Got mine built with the 20" Housing.

First i went with the Mag 5 for the easy setup, but ending up don't like the noise from the pump. So i switched to QuietOne pump (a little more $$$ but it's definitely stop the noise but of course the durability might not be comparable to the Mag 5). Also i went ahead and put in two value at the intake, return hose for easy access if need services the filter.

Thanks for the help m00se n write up.
kevindiep83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #513
leros
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a Mag 9.5 and a Quiet One 4000. They're about the same GPH. The Quiet One is much louder than that Mag.
leros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #514
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I had a Quiet One 1200. They use rubber O-rings on the intake and output barbs. They leaked from day one. It sounded like an old truck running. Luckily I only paid $20 I think. It was a clearance item at Petsmart. Not that the Supreme is silent. It rattles a bit too. Just quieter than the Quiet One LOL...oh, and it doesn't leak (yet). I'm looking at those screws that hold the impeller cover on and thinking "what were THEY thinking when they used these sheet metal screws screwed directly into the plastic motor housing, and how many times can I get away with cleaning this thing before these holes are stripped"....

Jus sayin..
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #515
kevindiep83
Algae Grower

Leros,
Yeah ? i thought Mag 9.5 would be loud so i didn't order plus it's little more $$ too. I got the QuietOne 4000 on amazon. I replaced the Mag 5 which reduced a lot noise so i am much happier. I'll give a try on the Mag 9.5 if this QuietOne break down.

M00se,
Yea they come with the rubber O-rings on both end, but i am ending up didn't use them. So far, my setup didn't have any leaks yet
I think they designed the QO 4000 little different than the 1200, maybe? i haven't fully open the pump yet but i don't recall seeing any screws. Well it's a super deal on the $12 pump, you can't ask for more. Oh yea, i got the intake and return line reduced down to 1/2" to fit my eheim installation set 1-2.

This reactor is awesome, plus when coming to kill BBA. i'll just have to turn off the main filter and let this guy push the water.

My PH is at 6.4 now.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #516
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Good to hear. Yea the Mag 9 would be a little (lot) big for this reactor. Going in I thought I'd need to move a LOT more water than I ended up needing. In retrospect I think I could have gotten away with a Maxi Jet 1200. As it is I have the Mag throttled way back to keep bubbles out of the aquarium. My drop checker is lemon yellow.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #517
kevindiep83
Algae Grower

Yea Mag are strong (plus your FX5 that's a lot), somehow i felt like the Mag 5 have the same push as the new Quiet One 4000 but i know the GPH is not.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #518
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

Is anyone here using these on larger tanks like 155gal or so? And would it be better to run this one on a separate line for a large tank or inline with a good canister filter?? Trying to weigh my options on a large tank I am about to start. Thanks!
sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #519
m00se
Wannabe Guru

I can only try to give you my experience with the 20" tall unit on a 40b. I run a Mag 7 through it with 3/4" lines, and have it choked back to probably half flow with a ball valve. I put a scrubby in the filter body to reduce the tiny bubbles in the tank, and I have the output going to a spray bar on the opposite side of the tank from the main filter intake, where I also monitor pH with a drop checker. On a 150g tank I would think it could work but I would definitely recommend that you NOT put it on your filter returns. That makes it difficult to control the flow through the unit and restricts your options accordingly. You might want to consider a sump for a tank that big. That would cut down or eliminate the Seven-Up bubbles in the tank issue. You would seal off the sump in a way that doesn't allow the CO2 to escape. If I'm not mistaken I think that's how Tom Barr does it (plantbrain).

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #520
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I have a 20" long Cerge's with a Rio 2500HP running wide open in the sump [Rios come with handy dandy ball valves and it is on the pump] of my 6' long 180 gallon tank. The output comes up through the overflow box and ends with a loc line return with no nozzle on it that complements the output from the Laguna Max Flo 1500 pump. I see a few very small bubbles in the tank that might be from the reactor but not enough to be noticeable even looking through the long end of the tank.

It takes 10-15 minutes for the last of the gas to be dissolved after it turns off in the evening. Wouldn't choking back the pump just allow more gas to build up in the device as there is less tumbling of the gas bubbles?

I don't know if CO2 is circulating efficiently or not but the drop checkers are currently parked high and low on the end of the tank with the returns pointed away from them and overflow box and they do get yellow green. Not sure when they get yellow green though.

If you look through my current journal you can see photos of the sump set up and usually I post a photo of what the tank looks like from the end.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #521
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
It takes 10-15 minutes for the last of the gas to be dissolved after it turns off in the evening. Wouldn't choking back the pump just allow more gas to build up in the device as there is less tumbling of the gas bubbles?

Yes, it has to be balanced via the bubble count. It seems about 4 BPS is the sweet spot fizz vs. CO2 buildup on my system. I get canary yellow in the DC.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #522
discgo
Algae Grower

After reading this thread i picked up a dupont whole house filter with a bypass switch and a see through housing on sale at menards for $25. I plan on using it on a 20g long diy project i am planning. My goal is to use it with diy co2 to get started and upgrade to pressurized as i go. I dont have a canister filter yet and i am curious if i can just put a mag2 pump on this reactor and some filter pad material in it and make a combo filter/reactor out of it? I plan on heavily planting the tank so my thinking is that it would provide enough filtration and water movement for the dozen tetras i am wanting to keep in there.
discgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #523
m00se
Wannabe Guru

No reason why you couldn't. Just please pay attention to my admonishment regarding vaseline on the seals and cover threads. If you don't do that you're gonna have a hard time. Keep us posted!

*Oh and MAKE SURE you have a WORKING check valve on a setup like that!*
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #524
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I can only try to give you my experience with the 20" tall unit on a 40b. I run a Mag 7 through it with 3/4" lines, and have it choked back to probably half flow with a ball valve. I put a scrubby in the filter body to reduce the tiny bubbles in the tank, and I have the output going to a spray bar on the opposite side of the tank from the main filter intake, where I also monitor pH with a drop checker. On a 150g tank I would think it could work but I would definitely recommend that you NOT put it on your filter returns. That makes it difficult to control the flow through the unit and restricts your options accordingly. You might want to consider a sump for a tank that big. That would cut down or eliminate the Seven-Up bubbles in the tank issue. You would seal off the sump in a way that doesn't allow the CO2 to escape. If I'm not mistaken I think that's how Tom Barr does it (plantbrain).

Good luck!
Yes, thanks much, I was leaning more towards that one and hook a mag 5-12 to a separate line.I have tried to use a sump system and CO2, sealing off the sump and feeding it up the return line (like I have seen done many times) but I cannot get an efficient system on a sump system, I have tried and failed. It takes too long to achieve decent CO2 levels, lots of bubbles regardless if I use a glass diffuser or open line, and CO2 waste is at a high level to justify using that way. So I am just thinking of running a canister filter or two for a 150+ gal tank I will be doing soon, and just run a separate line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I have a 20" long Cerge's with a Rio 2500HP running wide open in the sump [Rios come with handy dandy ball valves and it is on the pump] of my 6' long 180 gallon tank. The output comes up through the overflow box and ends with a loc line return with no nozzle on it that complements the output from the Laguna Max Flo 1500 pump. I see a few very small bubbles in the tank that might be from the reactor but not enough to be noticeable even looking through the long end of the tank.

I don't know if CO2 is circulating efficiently or not but the drop checkers are currently parked high and low on the end of the tank with the returns pointed away from them and overflow box and they do get yellow green. Not sure when they get yellow green though.

If you look through my current journal you can see photos of the sump set up and usually I post a photo of what the tank looks like from the end.
Thanks for the info, I tried using a reactor (in a sump system) with a little maxi jet before with little luck, so maybe it just needed more flow from a better pump. I will check the pix, I always like checking out sump systems in use with CO2 since I cannot get it to work right. But I tell ya I see pix of your tank and it looks great, but I dont see any pix of the actual sump.

Last edited by sketch804; 01-24-2013 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: edit
sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #525
discgo
Algae Grower

I saw the bit about the vaseline and a check valve will be included. I will be doing a build thread with this tank soon and it will be my first planted tank even though i have been keeping fish my whole life. My goal is to do as much diy as i can starting with a custom cfl light hood and upgrade plans for a custom led/heater as i learn more about wiring them up.

If the 20 long tinker project works well i will be redoing a 46g bowfront as well. It is in the living room and my wife is picky so any diy there will have to be refined.
discgo is offline   Reply With Quote