My Rainforest Creek - Fluval 12g
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Pukki
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Rainforest Creek - Fluval 12g

Hi guys,

Finally decided to share with you my very own journey of recreating a little piece of an Australian rainforest that I discovered on a recent trip.

I was trying to recreate the imagery that I saw whilst on a bush walk and this is my interpretation.

I hope you enjoy my first foray in a planted tank (learnt so much from reading all the forums posts and appreciate the community and the vast knowledge available here that has helped me a great deal). I look forward to your comments and suggestions that you may have.

As you can see I have a Fluval 12 gallon tank and I've not made any modifications to it whatsoever. If there are any improvements I can make to it (with minimal DIY), especially in regards to making my plants thrive do let me know.
Pukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Pukki
Algae Grower

Default My Rainforest Creek - Fluval 12g

Starting the process. Put down the substrate. 9 litres of Oliver Knott soil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New tank.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	70409  

Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Pukki
Algae Grower

Process underway...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New tank.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	70521  

Name:	Scaping.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	70529  

Name:	Christmas Moss on rock.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	70537  

Name:	Sideview again.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	70545  

Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
koumchev
Algae Grower

Good start, attractive driftwood as long I can see well placed in the tank. What is your plans for flora and fauna. Will be flooded tank or riparium. Bare in mind that the soil is very nutricious so wihout plants to use them will be algae bloom. Good luck with ur project
koumchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Pukki
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by koumchev View Post
Good start, attractive driftwood as long I can see well placed in the tank. What is your plans for flora and fauna. Will be flooded tank or riparium. Bare in mind that the soil is very nutricious so wihout plants to use them will be algae bloom. Good luck with ur project
Thank you for your response. It is a flooded tank with plenty of plants. I've already planted it and just waiting for things to clear up. I think I'm having issues with my filter. It is spitting most of the particles of soil out again which is settling on the plants, making it look messy.

The plants consist of low tech plants. Mostly crypts, ferns, mosses, anubias and a few other species. I forgot their name but I have the little tickets they came with in the pot so I will get back to you with that one.

One type of plant I am missing is a carpet plant which I'd really like. I haven't gone down the co2 route. Recently I bought a Fluval 88g Co2 kit. I find it a little daunting and I'm never home at the same time in order to turn the co2 on at a consistent time everyday. So far I dose Flourish Excel as a liquid co2. I'm totally new so still finding my way around it all. In an ideal world I'd love to grow HC on the bottom but I guess it will need way more light and co2 as well.

Any suggestions for a small carpet plant will be great!

I'll have plenty of pics up soon.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Pukki
Algae Grower

Hey,

Just thought I'd give you an update as to how my tank came along.

This is what it is looking like as of tonight. Since I planted it, it has had gone through a few tweaks and I am still not happy with it. I feel I need a carpet plant and the plant that is on the right side of the tank (looks a bit cabomba-ish) was an impulse purchase and a bit out of place I think. Problem is I think it looks really pretty but it just doesn't fit in there.

I had HC in there as well initially that seemed to be doing for a week or so, though I left them in the pot but as soon as I took them out of the pots, cut them up they went downhill from there.

Would love to know what you think and suggestions for improvements will be very very welcome.

Thanks!

Ps, I initially bought 3 shrimps. The golden one didn't make it as my journey from the LFS to the house was a little much for them as it was snowing. I now have a Cherry Shrimp and a Blue Tiger shrimp, both of whom I love. The little red guy was on his side, about to die but came back to life!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shot from Left.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	71745  

Name:	Head on.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	71753  

Name:	Little Tiger.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	71761  

Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Pukki
Algae Grower

And one last thing, I was hoping that the hairgrass on the bottom right foreground portion would take off after a trimming but it was done nothing. It's been ages. I think I will chuck them out. Or do they need something that I'm missing?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
vasol
Algae Grower

you should separate the hairgrass into smaller clumps, usually 5 pieces per clump is a good number
vasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

What substrate are you using?
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Pukki
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasol View Post
you should separate the hairgrass into smaller clumps, usually 5 pieces per clump is a good number
I had no idea about that. I actually halved them. They were actually a lot bushier and longer. I'll upload a pic of them of what they looked previously.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Pukki
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
What substrate are you using?
I'm using Oliver Knott aqua soil as the base substrate. I initially wanted to use that on its own. But after I put the water in, realised that it looked like rabbit poop so I then put a layer of ADA Aquasoil II Amazonia. Had a huge Ammonia spike when I did that and water went all disgustingly muddy. I'd love to put the ADA Powder Type on top as I want it to be very fine and fun for my shrimp to walk on, but I don't want Ammonia and dirty looking water again.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Pukki
Algae Grower

I'm going to add some Pogostemon Helferi on the bottom right and perhaps throw the grass out as it looks a little awkward there. What do you guys think?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looks great!
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #14
redsea
Algae Grower

Looks fantastic!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #15
Pukki
Algae Grower

Thanks guys!!

I'll definitely upload some pics.

I'm considering getting some Christmas moss and carpeting the entire front of the tank with it. So far I only have a clump of it on the left hand side in the corner.

Also, my golden apple snail was a beautiful golden colour when I first bought him but now he's gone all pale all of a sudden and isn' as golden as he used to be. Does anyone know why? I read it's something to do with the water hardness. If I don't act upon it, does it mean I'll lose him?

Tags
12g, fluval edge 12g, nano