Need help with Clippard/Swagelok check valves
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Rev2eight
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Need help with Clippard/Swagelok check valves

Hello, I have an Aquatek mini paintball regulator http://aquatek-california.com/co2-re...solenoid/#r-78 with a JBJ bubble counter. Reading up on how the check valves fail on these particular counters, I would like to add a good, solid brass check valve between the counter and the regulator as added security. Could someone more knowledgeable than I point me to the correct part that I would need? Thanks!
Rev2eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Clippards have some fans, but I've had 2 or 3 of them fail within 6 months. Plastic LFS valves are useless past the first few weeks. The "stainless steel" silvery ones with the arrows, originally from China (check Evilbay, they're now resold practically everywhere) might last a few months. Of all these, Clippard is the only one you'll find that has NPT threads for attachment to the regulator rig.

Parker and Swagelok, and likely the same companies that provide functionally identical compression fittings (there are at least a dozen - Bi-Lok, Tylok, Hylok, etc.), will have top-of-the-line check valves at 1/3 and 1 psi. That's about the best you can get for our purposes. For a valve with NPT threads, these are the manufacturers you're looking for.

I have a couple Swagelok brass and SS inline (compression, not NPT) check valves for $32 or less, shipped with inserts. Find my sales thread for a bit more info. Otherwise, Swagelok is the place to get them with NPT. SS-2C2-1/3 or B-2C2-1/3 are the models you'll be looking for. Parkers are a good deal more expensive.

P.S. Eventually you're going to dump the Aquatek for a decent industrial rig. Keep that in mind when deciding which pieces to upgrade over the next year or two.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
Rev2eight
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks kevmo. Looks like I might need a female adapter. Perhaps this one http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_...9-5bc1b6f4cb57
Rev2eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Yes, but there are cheaper on Evilbay. Simple brass fittings are cheapest on Evilbay. Female to female fittings are usually called "couplings". Simple brass connections, m/m, f/f, m/f, and size adapters (ex. 1/4m to 1/8m) will definitely be cheapest on Evilbay from generic brands.

But even if you're looking for a specif brand, check Evilbay first, both by model # and type ("B-2-HCG" or "Swagelok 1/8 adapter" or "Swagelok 1/8 npt" or some variation). Brass fittings, in general, are dirt cheap compared to SS, on Evilbay or from a retailer. And more is a huge discount in shipping costs.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Have them, include some not mentioned,
Bettatail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Have a check valve before and after the bubble counter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	70105  

inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post

Have a check valve before and after the bubble counter.
Nice check valve before the bubble counter. What brand is it?

I don't see a check valve after the bubble counter (perhaps inline and not in the picture? )

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote