Looking for advice on a new Iwagumi
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
Switch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking for advice on a new Iwagumi

Hi guys!!
I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to get some advice on a Iwagumi scape that I'm planning. I've been messing around with a small tank for a bit over a year, basically trying to learn the basics, and I feel now is a good time to do something a bit more impressive (hoping...)!

This is how is looking so far, and would be great to get some feedback on the initial arrangement. Also would like to ask some advice on a few things. First of all I have a feeling that on the left side there's something missing...maybe a stone in between the larger stone in the front and the smaller in the back.

I'm planning to plant HC in the central corridor and front, Dwarf Hairgrass on the sides, and complement with some Echinodorus tenellus slightly behind the main stone.
Also planning to add a shoal of around 15 little fellas, which I haven't decided yet. Open to suggestions...
Would love to hear anybody's ideas, suggestions and criticisms!! Let me know if u need some specs.
Thanks
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would move the rock from the front left more towards the rear of the tank, while keeping it slanting the same way, grouping it with the small middle rock.
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Switch
Algae Grower

Thanks!! Would u had another stone, or just move the big one?? Wondering about all the space it would create in front of it! More space for HC i guess! Gonna give it a try...
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
Conrad283
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would take that front left stone and get the angle to flow more with the big rock on the right, and then even it out with another stone somewhat as large as that one (front left) and the put two or three smaller rocks in the front
Conrad283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Switch
Algae Grower

Anyone else with some fresh ideas or suggestions??
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Maybe angle the big rock on the right so it looks more triangular. Otherwise, great scape
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Switch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPDzeke View Post
Maybe angle the big rock on the right so it looks more triangular. Otherwise, great scape
Thanks zeke...what do u think about the plants im planning to use...?? Any ideas on some fish i can use that will look nice in this kind of scape?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
walluby
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Rule of thirds

Look at the rule. I think you should keep in mind that there is
one main rock, then a secondary smaller rock, and then a
third. Your two biggest rocks are almost the same size.

Jeff
walluby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Switch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by walluby View Post
Look at the rule. I think you should keep in mind that there is
one main rock, then a secondary smaller rock, and then a
third. Your two biggest rocks are almost the same size.

Jeff
Hey jeff!

Thanks for the input. You are prolly right, but that were the only stones i had to play around with and to be honest didnt know what else to do apart from what u see... There's another stone i haven't used, that im thinking of putting in between the large rock on the left and the other smaller one. Or maybe push the large further back like syna suggested, and 2 smaller in front... I also think that as soon as the flora starts developing it will make sure that the big right stone will stand out, as the other will be less visible...Hope it works out!!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

It looks to be a low light tank, so a moss carpet. Then maybe blyxa in the mid or background. If it is nano, then use chili rasboras. I think the red looks good against a black background. If it is a bigger tank then you could use harlequins. I do prefer chilies.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Switch
Algae Grower

Quote:
It looks to be a low light tank, so a moss carpet.
Its a 60w, 40h and 35d in cm. The light is a 60cm dual bulb T5HO fixture, so i assume its in the medium to high light. The pictures are a bit modified... I'm really hoping its going to be good enough for HC, but time will tell!!

Quote:
If it is nano, then use chili rasboras. I think the red looks good against a black background. If it is a bigger tank then you could use harlequins. I do prefer chilies.
I'm really inclined to go with the rasboras... Keep hearing how good and tight they school, and how active they are. Hope they have some in my LFS, which I'm planning to visit as soon as my tank is planted... (The plants should arrive tomorrow.) Never bought any fish online and to be honest I'm a bit worried about doing it... Any words?? Favour or against??
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
Switch
Algae Grower

Anyone with other species i should consider that will complement this kind of layout??
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #13
koumchev
Algae Grower

Hi, mate
you can bury some of the rocks if it too big in the substrate. The classical iwagumi has odd number of stones each has some name. For good balance and depth of the skape use the rule of thirds or the golden proportion. Where the biggest rock should be off the center and the second big rock it is "counterweight" in the scape is on the opposite side. the third supporting visually the first and s.o. http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com...s-introduction
Looking forward for update
Kind Regards
koumchev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #14
Switch
Algae Grower

Hello m8!!
Thanks for stopping by...I'm kind of happy the way it looks on the right, but have to mess around with the left... Just not sure what to do really... I'm also quite happy with the "path" in the middle...My plants should arrive tomorrow, so before planting going to drain as much as possible and see if i can find a better way... Suggestions can't hurt, so feel free... Cheers
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 AM   #15
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you have not decided on fish yet why not Microdevario kubotai? They look great and are some of the tightest schoolers around. I really like the tank but the left side like you said needs some tweaking. Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.