Something is missing from my fertilizer! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
The beauty of EI to me is that you don't really have to test that much (or at all). Wondering about ratios, etc. etc is great if you like to treat your tank like a test tube, but in reality every tank is different and you simply don't know that. If you dose high-end EI and are religious about water changes, etc you will eliminate 95% of any issue that develop. If I had to worry about testing every parameter I would have quit this hobby a long time ago.
Absolutely. I full hearty agree with you.

Personally I just like to understand everything I use as much as I can. Its kinda entertaining for me. The theory approach is very nice so that I can work it out pragmatically at a later time.

Anyway back to the topic. I guess at a safer side, Smertrios can try all approaches as a leave no stone unturned method. Best of luck!

My 29 gal tank

blackworms culture methods
dr.tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
Smertrios
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I changed how I was dosing and for a few days it seemed to be working. Roots started shooting out along the stems of my wisteria and new leaves were forming but then it all stopped. The anacharis does not grow either.

I've been waiting for weeks doing the same thing but I see no new growth. There must be something missing. I've been working on the assumption that EI ferts was 100% of what is needed for plant growth. I dont have a substrate in the tank maybe that is the problem.
Smertrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smertrios View Post
I changed how I was dosing and for a few days it seemed to be working. Roots started shooting out along the stems of my wisteria and new leaves were forming but then it all stopped. The anacharis does not grow either.

I've been waiting for weeks doing the same thing but I see no new growth. There must be something missing. I've been working on the assumption that EI ferts was 100% of what is needed for plant growth. I dont have a substrate in the tank maybe that is the problem.
What are you growing them in if you don't have any substrate?

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #19
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (257/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smertrios View Post

Ferts are maybe 10-20% of it, light, we can assuem you have enough, but the CO2.....there's the thing.

You can have 10-20X more growth with good CO2 dosign vs non cO2, that's where 90-95% of folk's growth issues and killing fish/livestock originate.

EI just rules out fert issues. Then you can focus on say light, or CO2, filtration etc.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Smertrios
Algae Grower

My first attempt with plants was in a 10 gallon tank. I wanted to grow plants without substrate using just fertilizer in the water but that has not worked. Something is missing.

This is attempt #2 using 20 pounds of "ECO Complete" substrate. I have pellia all over the tank and a bit of wisteria. The bottle is my CO2 reaction chamber powered by a small water pump.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...739&highlight=
above link shows the 10 gallon tank I started with and the CO2 reactor. Unfortunate but most of the plants I started with are gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00120.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	60416  

Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
Smertrios
Algae Grower

The reason I want to grow plants using the nutrients in the water is because of another aspect of fish keeping I am interested in (but have not tried yet).

I want to see first hand how tilapia will grow when fed 100% duckweed or at least a *very* large portion of the diet as duckweed. The idea being that with some relatively cheap plant fertilizer + fish wastes recycled into new duckweed the cost to produce a pound of fish could be low. Thats the idea... I would be growing these indoors but for the "low costs" it would have to be done outside using natural sunlight. Its mostly a proof of concept I guess but I have read several reports saying that duckweed can be a 100% food supplement for tilapia but they grow slower than when eating a commerical dry compressed pellet. If the duckweed is dried and compressed into pellets its still good for replacing part of a commercial tilapia diet..

However I seem to have a hard time growing plants at all so buying fish for something like this would fail from the get go =P
Old 01-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #22
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

In my experience and from what I have heard anacharis melts off in warm water tanks.
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
Smertrios
Algae Grower

3 weeks later now.

I dont what would be considered fast growth for Wisteria but I can see growth everyday and after 3 weeks of watching it grow I can tell it is doing much better with the eco-complete substrate and not just feeding off itself.

The anacharis stems were put into the tank a few days after the Wisteria as cuttings about 2-1/2 inches long. You can see the small leaves at the bottom of the plant and how the new growth gradually gets bigger and more dense towards the top. The small leaves are from growing in my previous setup.

The clump of brown moss is java moss that was dying in the other setup. There is some green I am hoping will come back to life.

I have a question! On the lower leaves of the wisteria and on the silicone tubing in the far right of the picture are small brown tubes. In the pic they just look like brown lines but I noticed there is no brown algae around the lines. They have a small worm like creature inside of them feeding on the brown algae! Do you know what they could be? I have small green flies in another of my tanks could this been the larval form?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00124.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	70297  

Last edited by Smertrios; 01-20-2013 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: edited for content about flies